3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: targets  (Read 775 times)

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
targets
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
I have been spending a ton of money on targets
rhinehart woodland buck , rhinhart 18-in-1, last a while , but once one side is shot all the other sides become compromised and do not last very long, spider web target last the longest , bags last a month. Has anyone had any luck building structure and going the straw bale route ? I shot every day looking for a cost effective solution any input will be greatly appreciated  Thanks !
------------------------------------
BlackWolf 68"57#@28 TallTines 60"52#@28

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: targets
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
I hate shooting at a target face.  I have Rhinehart that I just suck it up and buy new inserts for.  If you rotate the target often it helps.  Also as soon as I see a bigger hole develop I fill it with foam.
T ZZZZ

Offline UMLarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
I shoot plastic jugs filled with Great Stuff insulation. It's not as durable as Rhinehart, but one $4 can fills 2-3 jugs and they take at least a few hundred shots each. I had a windshield washer fluid bottle last me about 6 months, shooting every weekend.

Keep Calm & Carry On

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
I have built compression set ups for straw bales and they are economical.  Not that they are particularly long lasting, but they are cheap and easy to rebuild.

The biggest downside to the Bale compression system is that they are messy. I used three bales which allows occasional rotation to avoid completely destroying any particular area. Getting back to messy, usually during the course of shooting you will eventually cut some of the binder twine and, of course, when you go to rotate bales your shooting area suddenly looks like stock feeding time.   :biglaugh:  

What works better is the same type of compression system using cardboard boxes.  The minor down side is that it involves a concerted effort to collect the boxes In order to make a stack tall enough for your overall target.  Boxes can also be rotated for additional longevity.  The best boxes I ever used were waxed and used for shipping chickens to the super market.  Regardless of the Box type, you need a waterproof cover for it.

The straw bales are problematic as far as disposal goes, while the used boxes are pretty simple to get rid of.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Made one using carpet,a tight weave is best like Berber not shag, my size is 36" long x 11-1/2"wide carpet, compress between 2-2x12 with pipe clamps to the height you want mine was 36" and when I tightend the pipe clamps it came out to be around 32" then just screw in 2x4 to both sides of 2x12 to hold together and remove pipe clamps. I used treated lumber,its been in the backyard for 4 yrs exposed to weather and I have'nt turned it around yet,a little work but looks to last at least another 4 yrs.The carpet's from a tear out and recarpet job free for the taking,it was already cut at around 24" wide in long rolls. Check with a carpet guy you might even get paid to help take it out,so besides the labor I put into the target I saved hundreds in buying targets so far.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
I did a similar thing with some packing foam from MK19 ammo cans, used four threaded rods to tighten it down, lasted several years until I took it apart and started using 3-D targets recovered after a flood.    :campfire:      :coffee:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
In Worthington, Minnesota, there was a company that made bread ties.  They could run the mill ends of the plastic into large bales.  The price was pretty reasonable.  They lasted forever.  The only reason that I no longer have them is because I moved and did not want to transport them.   I now use 4' by 4' square nylon web soy bean seed crates.  More durable than any plastic stuffed target, stuffed with free silage plastic.   Mine get thousands and thousands of shot in them and they still go for years.  I am currently using bags from Stine seeds.   My favorite targets were my excelsior bales, when I lived in Wisconsin.   I have not seen an excelsior stack in many years.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
I've been shooting the same Morrel Yellowjacket bag for almost 10 years, I buy a new cover for it once a year for $15, thats a pretty good deal IMO.

Excelsior is the best if you can find it.

I bought a Blob last fall, it is working real good. Ive shot a lot of BH's into it with little evidence. Its like shooting a big gum rubber eraser.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
Spend a few bucks and buy one of Pacific Bow Butts targets. Our club uses them.

http://pacificbowbutts.com/
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Another very good bag target that will last a long time is a Big Shot 450K. Will survive same area shots and will also be a two finger pull.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline Boothill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Huebert Fiberboard in Boonville MO sells a $300 4x4 target that you cannot wear out, believe me I've tried every day for going on two years. Field points only.
Unfortunately they do not ship but maybe they have something similar in your area,
Scott

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
i use the plastic covers that come on new mattresses that end up in the dumpsters behind the mattress stores...CHEEP...then wad them up and tie em with baler twin that left over from all the hay the horses eat...put the wad into one of the mattress bags to make it purdy then tie up with twin again keeping it tight...when it starts getting ratty just rotate or retie with a new bag on the outside keeping it tight.

its free and arrows pull easy

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 01:00:00 AM »
The guy around the corner from me made round bails out of corn stalks. I'm going to ask to by one. If he sells me one I'll let you know. I have tried just about everything.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 01:41:00 AM »
Great stuff big gap filler will make your broadhead target last a little longer. I had a rhinehart that was falling apart. Put the pieces in a box, sprayed it in the gaps, then taped the box up with duct tape and let it sit till it cured.

Let it sit for several days to make sure it's cured before you shoot it. That stuff is tough to get off the shaft when it's still wet. I'd probably shoot it with a junk arrow first, just to be sure.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Bull dog target, I have shooting one for about 6 years and replace the face every other year for 12 bucks shipped.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
My storm cellar burm is about the best I've found so far
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
I love Rineharts but I have several and so none get shot up. I don't shoot broadheads at em until I'm doing a final tune check then back to field points.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
I take a rectangle shaped bale of hay and put two ratchet straps over the perimeter and ratchet it down till I get the tension that I want for the hay to stop the arrow. It's cheap & it works

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
Sounds like you need to build a nice sand trap.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lefty:
Sounds like you need to build a nice sand trap.
Exactly what I was thinking.  It sounds like you shoot a lot, this will be by far the most economical and last many many years.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©