3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: RIP Mr Owen  (Read 1205 times)

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: RIP Mr Owen
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
Mr. Owen was a fine man and a pleasure to be around. So much knowledge and interesting stories. I had the priveledge to  hunt hogs with him on a couple of occasions. The archery world has truly lost a legend.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
RIP. prayers will be offered.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
His is a name I haven't heard in many years. He sure packed a lot of archery in a long life. I appreciate Brock for letting us know.

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Congratulations, Mr Jeffery on a life well lived!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
When I lived in Columbia SC, I would enjoy stopping by his archery shop to buy supplies and hear his stories.  I loved his great passion for bowhunting, even at his age, and hope I can "keep the archery fire burning" like he did.  What a man!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
Some memorable things Mr. Owen has said to me over the years....

I think I need a sight pin for my bow....
"you'll be able to kill more deer if you learn to shoot without a sight."

Which broadhead works the best?
"they all will kill a deer and none of them will kill anything."
"you don't need half he sh!+ we sell in here. Just go hunting!"

He always  made me laugh with his matter of fact opinion on what it took to put critters on the ground.....
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
you'd be amazed at the name bows that were built in that Pepper Street shop over the years. Some of the forms in there had some well known names on them. Prayers sent for Tom- I know he's got to be hurting...they were pretty inseparable over the years.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
I leapt back into archery on the limbs of a Jeffery Mity-Mag Classic. He gave us all so much, and my prayers go out to those who were close to him. He breathed a fresh life into many facets of our history and sport.

Killdeer   :archer2:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Legend for sure, RIP...
Lucas Kent

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
As a young man I shot with both Tom and Owen on many occasions. Tom and I shot in the class. Owens instinctive style and accuracy was always an inspiration.
The world is a lesser place because of his passing.

That's me in the top row, Tom bottom center and Owen bottom right.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
So sad to hear of his Passing ! Sincere condolences  to his family and close friends !!

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
RIP Mr. Jeffrey
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
Owen E. Jeffery COLUMBIA - Owen Edward Jeffery, 91, of Columbia entered into rest, Friday, March 18, 2016, in Palmetto Health Richland. Born October 22, 1924, in O'Neal, AR, he was a son of the late Owen T. and Sarah Belle Kelley Jeffery.

Owen was a Marine Corps veteran and actively served during WWII. He was a crew chief on B-25s and saw action in the South Pacific. During his 66 years in the archery business, Owen was a world-renowned Master Bowyer, and held multiple archery tournament championship titles and had been recently nominated to the Archery Hall of Fame. In 1976, Owen started Jeffery Archery which is a manufacturing and retail business in Columbia, SC. In 1978, he was a guest instructor for the French Institute of Sports, training the instructors of the French National Archery Team in advanced archery techniques. In recent years, most everyone knew Mr. Jeffery as an avid outdoorsman, hunter and tireless ambassador for the sport of archery.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife, Erin Adeline Tidwell Jeffery, with whom he shared a union of more than 54 years; as well as a brother, Gerald Jeffery.

He is survived by his two children, Tom Jeffery and Sharon Moreau (Joe); sister, Iona Boicourt; brother, Melvin Jeffery; two grandchildren, Meghan Heather and Joe Moreau IV, and three great-grandchildren, Claire and Caitlin Heather, and Joey Moreau V; and one nephew, Melvin Jeffery.

A Celebration of Life service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Monday, March 21, 2016, at Thompson Funeral Home at Greenlawn Memorial Park, 845 Leesburg Road, Columbia, SC 29209. The family will receive friends for one hour prior to the service at the funeral home. Inurnment will follow in Greenlawn Memorial Park.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial contributions be made to the Bill O'Reilly Independence Fund, by visiting   http://independencefund.org/page/donate.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Rest in peace Owen
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
Owen taught me everything I know about hunting and archery. I was fortunate enough to work for he and Tom all throughout high school and into college. Chasing hogs was his passion and I certainly enjoyed hunting them with him.

After his wife's passing Owen went everyday to visit her at green lawn cemetery while he was still able drive. I know he is with her now in heaven looking down on us.

Owen was a truley wonderful soul that I will miss dearly.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
Prayers up for his family and friends!

Bisch

Online Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
"Although 84 years old, Owen Jeffery took 35 hogs last year with his bow!"

There is unfortunately not a lot related to bowhunting that impresses me these days.  But that statement right there along with Mr. Jeffery's bowhunting life sure does!

I can only hope to be half the bowhunter he was if I'm still alive at that age.  It sounds like a bowhunting life well lived.  May he rest in peace.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
May the road rise up to met you. May the sun shine on you. May the breeze always be in your face. And may the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand. RIP. Mr. Jeffrey.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I was there today. Really nice service and was given a marine burial . I met his brother for the first time . They look a lot alike.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
RIP Mr Owen
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©