3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning AD trad shafts. A different approach.  (Read 300 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning AD trad shafts. A different approach.
« on: March 19, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
The Arrow Dynamics shafts lack spine consistency around the shaft. They are just not as precision made as some most carbon shafts. So I usually spine them and turn all the stiff sides to whatever I think the preferred direction is. And that helps but still you get some shafts that don't act like the others.
Here is something you might want to throw into the mix for tuning your Arrow Dynamic shafts.  (Or for those that threw them in the corner in frustration).
Assuming the shaft and point weight is pretty closely matched for your bow to start with. Use the standard shaft for heavy draw weights and the AD lite for lighter draw weights.
Get you bare shaft (capped or wrapped if you do that) and put in the point weight you want use.
Now shoot the bare shaft, 3-4 times then rotate it on the nock a 1/4 or 1/8 turn and shoot again. Keep doing that all the way around the shaft 2 or 3 times. You will find the best flight. It can vary the whole way from weak to stiff.  The best each shaft shoots does not correspond with my previous stiff side markings.
 Do that to 3 shafts then fletch and see if they perform much better.
Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning AD trad shafts. A different approach.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
Would someone else try it and see if you get good results? I filmed some of the testing but the videos didn't upload yet. I finished with shooting a bare shaft with a broad head at 18 yards. (185 grizzly weighted up to 260 grs total). I'll try to post that video.
Note - I  keep going back to these shafts because I struggle to get parallel shafts to shoot as good as tapered over the full range of hunting situations. I'm sure I have shooting flaws but I'm not horrible either.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning AD trad shafts. A different approach.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
Tedd YES this works good and is done often with wheelie bows to match all the shafts.
I have also used a bow press to compress the shafts and then mark the weakest side but IMO shooting them from a bow is optimal.
Once shafts are matched you can use the different spine sides of the arrow to help in tuning.
It's called nock indexing
And this can be done with any shaft not just ADs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©