3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New finish?  (Read 642 times)

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
New finish?
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
How do I safely remove this messy clear coat someone applied to my bear grizzly and reapply a new finish that will last and look good?
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New finish?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
I use 0000 steel wool and then spray with helmsman spar urethane works well for me
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Ok i will look into that thanks. Is it not safe to apply some kind of thinner then?
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
There's a bunch of options out there for finish, (and most are by much more experienced bowmen than myself). Truth be told, I aim for simple options because I lack a lot of skill. I agree on the steel wool to remove the old finish, works great and you can't accidentally over do it very easily. For finish I have settled on Tung Oil. It's a glossy finish, but that's what I like. I picked some up at Home Depot for around $20 and it lasts a long time. I wipe on a coat, hang for 24 hours, and repeat for 3 or 4 days. Its a very tough finish, water proof, scratch resistant, and sharp looking. I've done 4 or 5 bows with the one can and still have enough for as many more bows. It wipes on so it's easy to apply without streaks and won't flake or peel. Just my experience, and like I said - whatever other people tell you is just as (or even more!) better options.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks guys I'm working with the steel wool now it's coming off every so little but it works so thanks for that tip. I'm curious to see what's under this mess. Whoever put the coat on it didn't know what the where doing or probably sprayed it on it has lots of runs

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
I have used 220 and 400 to 800 grit sand paper or scotch brite pads to clean a bow up then polish it with automotive scratch remover. You don't have to replace the stickers that way. The results will surprise you.  I actually did this to my Griz also and it came out very nice.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »
It's taking some time but I can tell already it's gonna be worth it!!!!

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 01:29:00 AM »
It's taking some time but I can tell already it's gonna be worth it!!!! Seems like it had at least 3 coats on it so far the top limb back riser are down to bare glass I haven't touched the wood yet but its feeling smooth!! I'll be glad when it's ready to coat the right way or at least better than it was!!

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:30:00 AM »
It's taking some time but I can tell already it's gonna be worth it!!!! Seems like it had at least 3 coats on it so far the top limb back riser are down to bare glass I haven't touched the wood yet but its feeling smooth!! I'll be glad when it's ready to coat the right way or at least better than it was!!

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
I use Formby's paint and poly remover and scrape the old finish off. Much quicker, and less labor intensive than steel wool.I like TruOil for a finish. You can leave it gloss, or rub in some mineral oil with #0000 steel wool for a nice satin finish.

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
So the paint remover want hurt the bow then?

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
No. I have only used Formby's. I can't speak on other brands, but I am sure any of them would be safe.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
Just my opinion, but I would avoid paint removers/strippers. It might be quicker, but I wouldn't want to risk it softening the glue in the laminations.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
I thought the same so I just went with the steel wool 000 and I'm almost done now time to do the riser!!! Thanks

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
I thought the same so I just went with the steel wool 000 and I'm almost done now time to do the riser!!! Thanks

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
Sanded and added a thin coat of min wax   [/url] [/IMG]

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©