3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adcock... or A&H ACS - thoughts.  (Read 484 times)

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Adcock... or A&H ACS - thoughts.
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
Long story short, I'm about 3 yrars into O.L.'s list - could still be quite a wait. Considering goin' the A&H 3pc. ACS route.
Talked to Larry from A&H the other day and came to understand there are a few differences between an Adcock ACS and an A&H ACS - specifically in the limbs. The A&H limbs:
1.tend to be wider, especially at the tips.
2.use a layer of .030 glass
3.utilize actionwood (sometimes) instead of   actionboo for a core.
I understand this is done to increase the endurance / reduce failures of the A&H limbs.
I'm looking for feedback from people who've owned and/or shot both the Adcock and A&H ACS bows - any differences in performace, handling, etc.? As my funds are definately NOT unlimited, it'll be one or the other... Any info, thoughts, opinions between the two are much appreciated!!
Thanks,
Rando

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adcock... or A&H ACS - thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
I found my 1 piece ACS hard to tame in the accuracy department. I just came up for a ACS CX from A&H and  went out on a limb and bought it. I'm certainly glad I did because I find it to be very accurate, dead in the hands, and whisper quiet. I am a recurve guy for the most part but was intrigued by the design. I don't know if the 3 piece design is easier for me to shoot than  the 1 piece ACS I had- But I would highly recommend you shooting one if you can. They are VERY quick and flat shooting out to longer distances than any other bow I have had and there has been quite a few curves and longbows that have passed through my hands.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline coyote2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Rando,Ha I live in Princeton and I have a A&H ACS if you want to check it outand shoot it get ahold of me it is a great bow fast ,smoth and dead quiet take care,Jared<><

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
The three piece weighs over twice the one piece. That will make much easier to shoot for many.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
I have a A&H 3 piece. 62", 45@28". It is extremely fast and no hand shock. It is the first longbow I have shot. Very accurate as long as I remember that it is a longbow. Mine is subject to heel pressure. One out of five shots at 20 yards will be 8"-12" high. I'm sure that this is due to my shooting recurves for too many years. If I shot the ACS exclusively, I'm sure that my grip on the bow would "adapt". The other thing that I noticed, it is about 10 fps slower than the test of OL's in Traditional Bowhunter. I believe that this is due to the extra glass and the core material. It's still faster than my fastest recurve. I would highly recommend this bow to anyone who likes longbows(and probably most who shoot recurves).

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I have a 64", 52#@28" ACS CX that is a combination of an OL riser and A&H limbs.  I shot it through the chrony at the Archery Shop today and was surprised at the results.  I shot 5 shots with 517 gr arrows through the chrony and got a 5 shot average of 188 fps.  At my 28" draw length, that puts the arrow at three gr under 10 gr/pdf, or an actual 9.94 gr/pdf.  The bow is whisper quiet, and that is with my hearing aids in, but would be relative to me trying to hear a whisper with my hearing aids out!    :)   The bow is absolutely dead in the hand, and with the Axis 400 arrows at 29.5" with 200 gr points up front and a 1" footing of 1916 aluminum, it flys like a dart.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
I went to GT7595 with 200gr. tips, total weight is 615gr. at 29.5" for my A&H ACS-CX. It is 60#@29", but I draw at 28"=#57. Now that I have figured out how to grip it that bow shoots great. I tried holding it tight, low wrist...then I went to a high wrist like a recurve and it sends an arrow to where I am looking...and with authority!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
snag,

I grip it somewhere in between the two, I guess I would call it a Medium recurve grip.  The ACS bows definitely do not like to a heel grip.  They are quite erratic with that grip, in my experience at least.  I was shooting at a block target behind the Archery Shop today.  Out of 5 arrows one stopped right at the beginning of the fletching, one had about 1/4" of nock showing, two had no nock showing but the arrows were sticking out the back of the target, and the fifth was buried about 5 feet behind the target, it went all the way through!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
The first A&H CX I got had the very small tips and narrower limbs indicative of the OL variety; and the second bow came 6 or so months later with the A&H limb set. They are both very similar; the bow with the A&H limbs seems a bit smoother to draw. My son took the second bow so I have a third on order now; and I'm sure it will be a winner too. You can't go wrong either way.

Offline Elk Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »
I have never shot an original OL bow but do have a A&H that I just got.
You willl not go wrong with these bows there great.
As you can see from my profile I have a few bows and 9 to 10 others that I have owned and gotten rid of.
This is right at the top of the list with the Border Blk Douglas for me
Das 60" 65#
Border Blk Douglas 62#
New Border  hex 5 limbs 76#
Habu Death adder 64" 64#
ACS CX 29" at 70#

And a yes a Compound just 1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©