3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade broadheads  (Read 1904 times)

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade broadheads
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
Im making a new set of single bevel broadheads for an upcoming WI bear hunt. How are other guys here that make their own broadheads making the joint between the ferrule and the blade (Aside from brazing). I dont have a problem making the joint at the tip of the ferrule to the blade but the back end is a cause for concern.

Im using field points and 7 1/4" circular saw blades for the main blade. Im slotting the field tip (ferrule) and can peen the tip of the ferrule onto the blade but the joint at the back end is more challenging.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade broadheads
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Ron, when I did that, I just made them into tie on heads with about 3/4" of tang.
ChuckC

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
What about just a simple trade point. I have notched from the bottom, notched and drilled, and notched in from the side. I use JB Weld and artificial sinew. Going to make some pine glue to be a little more primitive for my next arrows.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
I plan to use traditional carbon (Gold tips)from 3 rivers so I will be attaching a threaded insert rather than tying on.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
Im thinking of attaching the blade to a threaded aluminum tapered adapter. I would slot the adapter to accept the blade.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
Over the weekend I starting messing around with a prototype. Now Im thinking of instead, using a threaded adapter rather than a reshaped field point.

Beveling made easy with the right tool for the job.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Followed howard hill right down to the first l- made ferrule out of steel , cut down the center and dual riveted. Blade is of circular saw blade. Weighs 260 grains - screw in type connector.
Have shot them into tree and ground - no tip curl, just a slight chipped edge due to temper issues.
Will post link to  thread which I posted earlier. They are true 3:1 but have since been given a tanto tip.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Those look awesome!

Great work.

Bisch

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Wow those look awesome! I dont think I was born with the proper skills..
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
Im thinking I will replace the re-shaped field point with an aluminum tapered adapter. I bought some long, 43 grain adapters. I will need to slot them to receive the blade. If I drill a hole near the end of the adapter I can peen over the end of the adapter in that hole and then use JB weld at the back in the slots.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
I am amazed at the number of guys who have the skills and desire to craft so much equipment in home shops. It would never cross my mind to try to design and fabricate a broadhead. This type thread is one of the things that make the Gang so interesting.
Sam

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
This is not my first homemade broadhead. I have done it in the past and even took a nice 8 point with all homemade gear.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
Good job.... By hand or do you have access to some sort of milling machinery and welder ?
ChuckC

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
All by hand. I developed a broadhead sharpening guide that takes all the guess work out of keeping a constant angle on the bevel. I showed it in the video but here it is again.

and another.

Without it, I could never hope to hold a constant angle on single and double bevels.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
I need to copy your design. I use a lansky and a sharpie to get the bevel started , scrape metal off with a file using the sharpie as a guide. Finally got them to 30 degrees today , stropping with rubbing compound and got the shaving sharp. Not much hair left on thighs, classic case of blade mange.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
I hate free handing. Thats why I developed this tool. Perfect and consistent blade bevels are a simple as rolling a hot wheels car on a counter top.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
Saw the vids - hours of elbow grease saved. The zwickey have vexed me due to some residual high or low spots. This along with various grit sandpaper should be the ticket
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Yes Zwickey and some others come from the factory with a lot of time at your own bench getting them ready to hunt with. Not sure why they do that but the edges are pretty poor and uneven.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
Just got my Stay Sharp Broad head sharpening guide in the mail today.  Just got 3 Magnus Classics razor sharp with out to much trouble.  That says a lot as I am sharpening challenged.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©