3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pass through with no blood on the arrow?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Pass through with no blood on the arrow?
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
I am curious as to how many of you guys have ever had a pass through that your arrow had NO sign of blood on it?  

Now, to the story.  

Saturday, i went to some family land that usually has some pigs on it. I stalked up on a pack of 6 of them.  The pigs knew something was up, but didn't know what I was, as I would never move while they were looking.  I took a shot and upon release, the pig I was shooting at lunged forward making my arrow stick her in the paunch(guts).  When I shot, they ran about 50 yards and just stood there.  I could tell the big sow I shot was not feeling very well.  They took off walking, so i followed.  After following the pack, from a distance, for 3/4 of a mile.  We knew she was hit(blood on her side).  After 3/4 of a mile, I lost sight of her.  

After searching, i went back to look for my arrow.  After finding it, it literally had NOTHING on it.  and I do mean literally NOTHING!!!

Later that day, my buddy and I got up on a bedded pack and he shot one.  We both watched the arrow impact back and immediately saw, what we thought to be, his red fletchings hanging out, but it turned out it was blood from the cut.  When we went back and found his arrow, it also had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the arrow.  But his pig only ran 70 yards.  My mind was blown.  

Anyone else ever had this happen?  

Both of us were shooting QUALITY heads that were both shaving sharp. (no names will be mentioned, as i know the mistake was on my end).
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pass through with no blood on the arrow?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
A gut shot on a pig will often have no blood but will have an odor.  A shot "back" on a pig is not good and will often end in no pork.

What did his arrow hit that killed the pig in 70 yds?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Mike,

Honestly, we have no clue.  I will post a pic of the hit and let you be the judge.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »

this was a broadside shot, NOT QUARTERING AWAY.  

My shot might have been 4 inches farther back than this.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
I will also post for photo's from the hunt.  It was a fun day to be in the woods.  

You can just make out one of the pigs through the thickness. There were about 6 with it.  The story above was about this hog, so i'll skip that part.  

After I caught up to my buddy, we were walking along, tired from walking through all the mush.  I look to my right and see this:

The coon was in bad shape.  I wanted to make sure he wasn't caught in a foot trap or something like that, so I tossed a stick towards him.  when it hit the ground I found out he was very much alive, but wasn't well.  

Not 50 yards later we were standing there admiring creation.  It was an absolutely beautiful day.  Temps in the 50's, wind howling out of the north, a great day to just take a nap in the woods.  I look to my left and see something that looks out of place.

i tell my buddy to check it out with his bino's and sure enough, it was "two hogs" bedded down.

We began our approach.  We soon learn there are way more than 2 hogs.  When we get up to about 15 yards from this sleepy jokers, I could see there were actually about 6 hogs there.  

I glance to my right and see this.

another piece of the pack that wanted to cuddle else where.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Seeing as I had already taken a shot at a pig that day, I tell my buddy to shoot first at this bunch, then i'd try to pick something off when they got up.  He was closer to this pack than I was.  He picked out the large one, draw back, released and the arrow sailed over all of them.  The pigs heard the arrow go by and sat up. I quickly hit anchor and followed suit.  Shot right over the sow.  We were both laughing hard at this time.  We have almost 20 pigs within 15 yards and walk away with nothing.  

One of my biggest rules to hunting pigs is DO NOT MOVE WHEN THE PIGS ARE WATCHING.  They run close to 40 yards and turn around to search for something that made that noise.  We both sat still.  

We began to search for our arrows and we look up, they are coming towards us.  We both get ready and my buddy Steve managed to stick the sow.  

(story above).  

We managed to get up on a bunch of mid sized pigs that busted us and my buddy decided to take a running shot.  He got some pretty good penetration...

on the tree..    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    

It was such a fun time being in the woods.  If I could stalk deer like I can hogs, I'd never hunt from a stand again.  

God Bless,

Daniel

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Looking at that pig your buddy got, I would think he got a kidney. If it would have been a big artery, there would have been blood on the arrow. Like Mike said, there should have been an odor on the arrow. I have had several critters where the arrow went through the paunch but did not cut a single piece of gut (and my broadheads are also quality heads that are very sharp), so it is possible that might be what happened.

The javi I shot 2 days ago was quartering to me. The entrance was at the front shoulder. the exit was at the opposite rear leg (complete passthru), with a big wad of guts hanging out the hole. There was not a one piece of gut cut in that animal. I was sooooooooo glad when I went to gut it not to find a huge mess in there.

Congrats to your buddy on his pig!

Bisch

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
I shot a small pig once that I thought I had missed. When I picked up my arrow it was slick, like oil, but had no real "blood" on it. I examined the fletching and I could make out a very feint pinkish hue to the hen fletch. Best I can figure is I had hit the pig in a fatty area and totally missed any real bloody tissue. My son and I followed in the direction they all took off it, but with no blood it was pointless after a few hundred meters. He likely recovered from the wound, which is either unfortunate or fortunate depending on your take of pigs. I know I didn't hit any stomach area, I thought the shot looked a little high, which is why I took it for a miss at first. Perhaps I slipped it in the upper back skin? Pigs are funny critters.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
Additionally, and this may sound funny, but smell your arrow. Mine had a fatty, greasy scent to it. Presumably from the fat.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
I smelt it several times.  I could not smell anything at all.  i have never had that happen to me before.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
A smelt is a fish........    

Unless you live in the Bayou!!!     :laughing:      :laughing:      :laughing:      

Bisch

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Unless you live in the Bayou!!!      :laughing:        :laughing:        :laughing:      

Bisch
I do live in a bayou, Bisch!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

Unless you live in the Bayou!!!       :laughing:          :laughing:          :laughing:        

Bisch
I do live in a bayou, Bisch!!! [/b]
That was exactly my point, Daniel!!!

Talking to you and Basinboy is an experience!!!

Bisch

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
Now thats funny!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
could it be possible that when the arrow exited through thick hide/fat, the fat/hide "squeegeed" the arrow clean?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »

Originally posted by DanielB89:

Unless you live in the Bayou!!!      
Bisch
I do live in a bayou, Bisch!!! [/b]
That was exactly my point, Daniel!!!

Talking to you and Basinboy is an experience!!!

Bisch [/b]
You better watch it, or next time we see you on a 3D course, we wont be very nice.     :readit:    :readit:      :nono:    :nono:

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
Speaking from experience, a shot right in front of the rear shoulder, or in the guacamole, ain't good.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Strange things happen sometimes when shooting arrows through critters. He definitely hit something very vascular to put the pig down that quickly that far back. I kind of lean toward the "squegee affect" as well.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
I'm not sure, but if it was a squeegee affect, it fit completely around my broadhead, shaft, feathers, wraps, nock, AND inside of nock PERFECTLY!  

its crazy!  

I'll try to find out if it can happen again this next weekend!  :)

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
Daniel shot this deer a little far back and gut pluged

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©