3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: waiting list regrets  (Read 994 times)

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
waiting list regrets
« on: March 21, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Has any one decided on a bow maybe a little to quick, but down money and regret it. For what ever reason you wished maybe you waited. If so, how did it turn out for you? Good? Bad? Sold your spot maybe. Just curious if its just something we all go through while the wait was on.

Re: waiting list regrets
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
I've never had that happen. I have seen several folks sell their spots on the classifieds though.

Bisch

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I hate to admit but I've regretted more not getting on a list soon enough. One time I put twice the required deposit down. Then when the bow came in I asked if half could be applied to another bow and not to have to start over on the waiting list.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
I regretted a purchase last year. Was promised a 4 month wait put 1/3 down and got it the 9th month. Very disappointed in the end with the bow. I decided to never buy from a bowyer unless i could test drive.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
If you deal with the right bowyer things work out well...I kept changing my mind on what I wanted and in the end it got me his latest bow which is a great performer, very nice to look at and very well made

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Im going to wait it out. See how it looks when finished and decide if this is the bow i wanted or not. Really im just paranoid about the grip and riser design. Im use to getting them unfinished and shaping them to fit my hand. Not the end of the world i guess,lol.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
I've never been on a waiting list, of course I've never bought a new bow not already made  :)

A good old fashioned talk on the phone helps me get to know the person wanting the bow much better. And, it forges a bit of a relationship. Seems to help with any buyers remorse one may suffer from.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Every bowyer I've dealt with has bent over backwards to accommodate any changes in my order.

The main thing is to make the change before he starts ordering material for the bow, or actually starts working on it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
Happens sometimes when you have to wait, I just continue to wait and pay for it, I ordered it.
As long as they hold up to their end of the deal, I hold up to mine.
I have seen people sell there spots, I also read some bowyers do not care for that, I really have no idea how that works.
The longest I have waited is six - eight months, I do not know how guys can wait a year or more.
I do really enjoy buying bows that are in stock and ready to go though!

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Selling spots? I've never heard of this.  Is there profit involved?  If I were the bowyer, I think that simply returning any down payment minus the pain in the butt fees for handling it would be more than adequate.  That is what the earnest money is meant to do.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
Only one.  My first custom bow, a long bow.  I could never get used to that one.  I did regret that purchase.  It was a good looking bow tho, and well finished.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Selling spots? I've never heard of this.  Is there profit involved?  If I were the bowyer, I think that simply returning any down payment minus the pain in the butt fees for handling it would be more than adequate.  That is what the earnest money is meant to do.
One of my fondest memories of time spent here on TradGang is a few years back when i was unable to use my spot on Big Jim's build list.

He and Terry graciously allowed me to auction the spot for St. Jude's that year, and it sold for a sizable amount of money.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
I used some retirement money from a previous job to buy my "dream bow". I wanted this bow for almost 20 years and watched it quadruple in price. Finally, I could afford it and got on the end of the 12 month wait list. Oh well, I could wait a little longer I thought.

A few times over the next TWENTY EIGHT MONTHS I called and asked politely about my bow. I was met with smart Alec remarks and threats to cancel and keep my deposit! I wanted to tell him to shove it but I still wanted the bow. I really regretted ordering it.

The bow finally arrived and I soon got over being upset about the ordeal. Half a dozen years have gone by now and I still shoot the bow better than anything I ever touched.

The finish is bubbling, a small glass lift is developing near the bottom tip, the limb twist has been taken care of, and I have come to live with the tiller issues.  Yeah, I regret ever buying it. If I didn't shoot it so well I would burn it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Red
Lol, You sound like a guy that can give a honest answer. Thank you!

I love a happy ending!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
What's a wait list? I just keep buying Toelke bows and have them in less then a month.

I am on Mike Treadway's wait list, but there isn't any money involved, so don't know if that applies.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
I once got on the build list for a bow made in CO that has a strong reputation and following but after thinking about it for a few months I decided I have to many, not really my preferred style of bow anyways and other bows i wanted more.  Bowyer would not refund small deposit  (no big deal) so I sold my spot pretty fast without a issue.  It worked out well for all 3 parties involved.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
Only one.  My first custom bow, a long bow.  I could never get used to that one.  I did regret that purchase.  It was a good looking bow tho, and well finished.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
Money is usually tight for me.  When it came to ordering a custom bow, I thought, loooooong and hard about it. I shot a few to get the feel to make sure I wanted it.  I understood the wait time before I sent my money in.

the build took slightly longer than the estimated time but the bow was everything I wanted and then some.

It took me longer to save the money for it and to finally decide to order than it did for the bow to be built.

I think impatient people tend to be the most regretful when it comes to new custom bows.

They rush in to get on the list and cant stand the waiting game. then second guess how badly they want it.

I would get remorseful if the build went way over the estimated time perhaps but when I order a bow, I know its exactly what I want.

I think if Bowyers were pestered less about when a bow will be finished, they would be able to spend more time working on bows lol.

The hardest part for me was while waiting for my bow, 4 or 5 bows came up in the classifieds almost exactly like what I wanted and for less than a new one.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I hate waiting.........a few months is not to bad, 10-12 months is a long time for me. Any longer and I wouldn't order that bow. I know guys that have waited years.......not me!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
I cannot wait . It bothers me to wait the few days for a mailed bow to get here I traded for..lol.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©