3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cap dipping wood shafts with waterbased paint.  (Read 349 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cap dipping wood shafts with waterbased paint.
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Need some help. I am scrapping my Bohning Fletch-Laq paints and moving to waterbased paints. I would rather dip than spray or paint on with a brush. Anyone have experience with Tru-North or Bohning waterbased products? Or what have you had success with?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cap dipping wood shafts with waterbased paint.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
When I dipped shafts I use regular water based poly and had good results. Cheap, effective and not smelly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 03:54:00 AM »
I go to Michael's (a craft store) and buy acrylic waterbased paint there. Much cheaper.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
You'll have to knock the raised grain down when using water based like True North (which I've used). True North is nice from a smell standpoint. Can do arrows in the basement and the wife doesn't know it's happening. Not a chance of that with other products that are not water based.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
Olin Rindal, I tried those paints. Maybe I do not know the formula for thinning as I had miserable results. I tried 50/50 with water but paint would not cover. What's your method please?

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
I really dont have a formula. I just thinned it a bit. If I got too thin and wouldnt cover I would just dip again. I always do a white  dip first then a color. If I was better at posting I would post pictures. I did some white crown diped arrows and I had to do about 4 dips to make it what whit I wanted. But as for the rest of the colors it was one to two coats. There are probably better products but these are cheep and they work for me.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
I use those craft acrylics for all the arrows I make. Rather than dip I paint it on with a brush. Some colors need more than one coat but the results are just fine.
As Ray mentioned, it can be necessary to knock down the grain. I do one coat of paint and then use synthetic steel wool to hit the grain. Wipe off with an old t shirt and paint the additional coat(s).
Best thing about the craft paints is their cost and the number of colors available. I also use them for cresting.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »

So far this is the best I can do for pictures.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
If you do need to use a brush, use one of those foam brushes, about 1.5 inches wide. They don't leave drag marks.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Bohning Acry-Lac paints are great. I use them daily in my shop. Most all my paints I use are water based, with my kids helping me at times I didn't want any chemical based paints and finishes around. The only exception being the Dalys Pro Fin. I have not found a water based finish that stands up to target burn or gives me as nice a finish as Dalys.
I also use other water based paints that I paint on with foam bushes with excellent results.
If you look up my Instagram I post most of my work there.
Any questions feel free to call more message me.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
FJ, thank you, just visited your site, looks good. My plan is to do cap with waterbased and rest of shaft with pure tung oil. The oil will be more work but if it causes no issues with targets it will be easy to "refinish" the worn section of arrow behind the point. If nothing else the oil will make a nice finish on wife's outdoor potting table I am making.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©