3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11454 times)

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »

The first day of spring was today, buy more importantly, the first day of ELK spring occurred! That is, the first day of real preparations, which for me, took the form of 2 hours of push-mowing with my 60-lb pack.

I've been on five OTC/DIY elk hunts in Colorado and have shot five elk; however, the two I shot with the longbow went unrecovered. Then three more bulls with the compound. This fall, I'm committed to killing an elk with the longbow--so I've got a lot of work to do.

I've been maintaining my general workout routine with the barbell, kettlebell, bodyweight exercises and sprints. But today was the start of the real deal--pack training! I'm 33 and I can tell I'm no longer 23, but I made it through pretty well.

In addition to physical prep, I'm doing loads of online scouting (Caltopo.com is the best I've found) and have found another handful of new areas to check out in addition to my old favorites. I look for areas close enough to the truck to pack out a bull within a couple days, but which are steep and difficult to access.

I'm also honing my gear list (pack is down to 15 lbs before food and water), picking up a few new items (Allen game bags--nice, Alpen compact 20x50 spotting scope--nicer, Stone Glacier pack--nicest!), and coming up with what I hope are better hunting strategies (slow down!).

I keep my   blog   updated with major news, but I was hoping to keep this thread going and hear from you all about your elk preparations (or dreams). What you got planned for this fall?

Pete

Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
You have been 5 times and shot 5 elk! That is absolutely awesome. I have been 3 times (once guided) and never let an arrow loose at an elk. Good luck this year with your longbow!

Bisch

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
I admire the preparation but nobody should be mowing grass in March.  That just ain't right.  LOL

I have been putting a few miles on with 40 lbs. on my pack.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by meathead:
I admire the preparation but nobody should be mowing grass in March.  That just ain't right.  LOL

I have been putting a few miles on with 40 lbs. on my pack.
If you live in Tx and don't mow your grass in March it will be 2' high!!!

Bisch

Offline Saguache

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
Hi all, I haven't posted much here but lurk some, and like the idea of this thread.

I spent my free time this weekend on google earth looking for new spots, tuning arrows and sharpening broadheads.

last years bull

2014 bull with the crew

Hope to get one of these big boys someday.

It took me 5 years to get my first bull with a bow, since then I've punched my tag every year,hope I can continue the streak...

Keep doing what you've been doing! It sounds like you have it figured out, you just need a little luck!

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
The dog and I spent some time in Elky country today.  the stumps were plentiful.    :)  
This was one of those nice Spring days and still plenty of snow in the Higher country.

I'll be following, all in for Operation Longbow Elk 2016.    :thumbsup:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 02:15:00 AM »
Cool post will be following
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 02:45:00 AM »
I'm not sure about your game bags but if you are open to suggestions look up T.A.G. bags. They are expensive but reusable, durable and light weight. Good luck

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
Glad there are some others out there as crazy as I am, obsessing about elk year-round.

Olin, I've used the TAG game bags, and I think these Allens are as good or better. Though Allen does make some junky ones (open mesh, too stretchy), I have these ("Backcountry Meat Bags") and they're perfect:

Best part is, they cost half as much!

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
I just told my bride it was time to start hitting the gym to get on cardio and to help loose 15-20 lbs before summer.

Lord willing my son and I will be chasing elk north of Chama, NM this Sept again.  We've been together 4 trips and he has punched his tag twice.  

The first bull he shot with a compound I also put an arrow in as it ran past me.  I did not realize he had shot it just a few seconds before the bull came past me.  We both ended up shooting our first archery bull the same day which was the same bull!

I'm working on a new bamboo backed osage longbow that I plan to carry this fall.

Best of luck to you this year!
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
Ha, what are the odds of that? There is some pretty country up there.

If you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend incorporating  weight training (functional movements like squats/deadlifts) and interval training (sprints/push-ups/pull-ups/burpees) into your gym time. It's much more beneficial than long slow cardio, easier on your joints, and less boring IMO.

Would love to see your BBO. Best of luck to you as well!

Pete

Offline Mark Zagrzebski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
Here is my recommendation for anybody looking for game bags, go down to your local Salvation Army and pick up 4 pillow cases for $1 a piece.  Myself and brothers have been doing this for years, just throw the bloody bags away when done.  I normally vacuum seal them, they don't take up as much space (about the size of a brick) in your pack that way.  Also, pack some parachute cord for hanging the bags.

We bone all our meat in the field, so these bags probably would not work for full quarters.

Good luck to all, will be in Colorado again this fall chasing my own longbow elk.

Mark

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Allen bags I'll check them out.
I do have pillow case bags also. The issue with them is if you are packing in somewhere they are too heavy. The new synthetic type bags fit the bill for pack in hunts.

Offline Saguache

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I have a set of the heavier duty Allen game bags but but always wind up putting a set of the cheap Allen bags in my pack to save weight-bulk.....so I always end up using the light ones, they work fine for keeping the meat clean. If I was using horses I'd probably use the heavy duty ones.

For training I'm mostly mountain biking and doing body weight exercises. The trick to getting a good elk hunting workout on the bike is doing a couple miles at a good pace..... without sitting down! Later in the summer I'm going to try and hike some 13ers and maybe a 14er with my full load(@40lbs).

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 06:12:00 AM »
Caribou Game bags.  Nice and light and high quality.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
" I'm 33 and I can tell I'm no longer 23."

Wow.  Wait till your 63 and see how you feel after a day in the Mountains.
T ZZZZ

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
I ll be 70 for the upcoming season.  I tend to hunt alone so as not to hold up the others.  I live at 5600 and don't notice the effort much till I get above 10000'.  The downed timber is the big nemesis.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
Amen to that--I hope to be still hunting elk when I'm y'alls age. I admire your longevity!

Also, thanks for the other input and pics of elk country! I'm working on a piece on internet scouting for everyone to discuss shortly.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
great thread, thanks guys. any tips or advice about tripods for spotting scopes that are light enough to pack but strong enough to do the job? what are you guys packing?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
I am fortunate enough to have 4 different properties (as well as unlimited timberland) to hunt within 10-15 miles of my home. I could see the ocean from where my last bull was killed. No elevation much over 500 feet!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©