3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11460 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
PP - I know in the past you have endorsed the Inov-8 Trailroc 245's, have you found the Solomons to be better?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Burnsie - I've run the 245s through the paces and they've done great, though as I said earlier, the mesh does start to break down after a few weeks worth of elk-hunting hard use.

I ordered the Salomons and only tried them on at the house; I returned them because I couldn't convince myself they would be $100+ better than my 245s. But then again, I'm a cheap guy. If I didn't have the 245s, or when they wear out, I'll probably go with Salomon Speed Assaults.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks Pete, from reading this thread it is obvious you do thorough research on your gear, but this article may be helpful on the Salomons.
 http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/footwear/my-love-hate-relationship-with-salomon-shoes/
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
Interesting - that is helpful. One thing that clearly sticks out to me was that he was running on pavement in shoes designed for off-trail use. I would imagine a sole designed for off-trail use should be softer rubber for better grip, whereas a road-running shoe could have a harder and more durable rubber compound.

And good thing for me; I do almost zero running on pavement!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
I thought the rubber toe bumper consistently peeling off was interesting.
I'm actually having a hard time finding Salomon Speed Assaults online, at least like the ones you had pictured.  Keeps steering me towards the Speedcross 3 and some other Forces Assaults that look like high tops?

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Yeah, certainly.

I wrote my article on the Fellcross 3 (low tops) and they were the only Salomon's I've actually tried on. However, I think the    Speed Assaults  (high tops but otherwise very similar) might be even better, with a little more ankle protection.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
PP,

I love the way you share your information and research. Going to be living vicariously through your post. I wish you luck from SC.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline TWP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Pete, why not get ride of the soft shell??? 10 ounces gone. The puffy and rain coat will do everything you need. IMO.

Nice list! I am a big training fan, and I really like that you too also don't bring binos and spotters. For mule deer, I absolutely do. And for scouting, but not for hunting elk.

Have you tried just using a iodine tabs instead of a pump? Some folks don't like them, but the taste doesn't bother me at all. For mulies or dry country I think the pump/filter is great, but I like light and easy in Sept elk country.

Good idea on the shoes, I have my SpeedCross 3s that I'm going to try during scouting. Will get wet though, but what a great way to stay quiet and light. My buddy used his Inov8 goretex hikers two years ago in a January snow storm, with OR gaiters and stayed dry. I may have to get them a go myself.

Originally posted by PistolPete:
Thanks for the input, Sam and Seeza. Speaking of gear lists, here's mine, with all weights listed:

I think it's as light as one would ever want to go, and I consider myself an extreme minimalist. However, I think any elk hunter (and certainly any backpacker) could massively benefit from owning a kitchen scale and weighing every item. It has opened my eyes and made my hunting much more efficient. I wish I had done it years before.

My pack, before food and water, weighs right at 15 lbs. Add 1.5 lbs of food per day and an average of 1 liter of water = 23 lbs for a 4-day jaunt. My additional carried weight, including my bow, the clothes on my back and boots on my feet, adds another 5 lbs for a grand total of 28 pounds added to my naked body.

You're welcome for the image.

What does your list look like?

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
Great thoughts, TWP. I'd love to toss the soft shell but I need a light, quiet, wind-resistant layer I can hike in, and the rain shell isn't that breathable. And I've done iodine before too - I don't hate it, but the filter spliced inline to my bladder is so convenient. Just fill and drink.

Try the Speedcrosses and kiss Goretex's lies goodbye forever! Love to know your thoughts on them.

Offline TWP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
What is your puffy? I use a first lite llano, chama and puffy combo and it is freak'n sweet! From 90 degrees here in Texas down to 20s and I'm good. Do you wear many layers while hiking? I would sweat the dang things out. The first lite puffy turns into a sweet pillow also with it's own pocket stuff sack. Just my experiences, not pushing first lite on you.

Also, I have had great success in 10 years of elk hunting, dang that makes me feel old, with Goretex. However, that has been with high quality Zamberlan boots and Nik Wax usage, so maybe the Goretex wasn't the deciding factor????

Have you tried any of the light weight interchangeable blade knives? I have used ONE blade on an elk with the havalon, but they can be dangerous changing blades. Looking at the Outdoor Edge right now, safer exchange and a more rigid blade.

I'm not using any rain gear this year...we shall see how that goes. Unless the weather is just terrible leaving the trail head like it was last year in Idaho.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but I've spent enough nights in the wilderness that I think I'm going to try the ultra light this year up high. A late season hunt would be a totally different ball game. With lots of clothes and creature comforts at night.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
I use a Stoic I got on sale for $50 a few years ago and it's fantastic. Hooded, 2 oz of 850-fill, weighs 8 oz total, and I wear it to sleep most nights. And I don't wear many layers hiking except first thing in the morning or on a windy/cool day, and that's when the wind jacket shines over my merino base. I'd replace it with a windshirt like a Houdini (3-4 oz?) if they were just a little quieter. And like you said, the puffy is great for warmth when stationary, and the rain gear cuts the wind when stationary, but I find I need a breathable wind layer when moving and cool.

I've played with the HAvalon-type knives, but I love my 1.3-oz Opinel--it's much sturdier. And I'd take a sharpener anyway for broadheads, so that serves double duty. I know a lot of guys like the replaceable scalpel blades, though.

I love NikWax on full leather upper boots, but in my book, all Goretex is good for is preventing feet from drying when they inevitably get wet (from sweat or leaks).

And absolutely, late season is a whole different animal! Not something I've done much of.

Sounds like you've got a great system going...

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Still following this thread with great interest.

Since I'm mostly doing day hunts, I was thinking of a packable softshell like the Columbia Flashforward in my pack for the pop up rain or windy cool weather.  If it's raining or a good chance of it, throw the rain gear in the pack.
Thoughts?

Also, while I'm keeping an eye open for a good puffer, I have a GI field jacket liner that I've used numerous times as an insulating layer.  If nothing better comes along I'll stuff it in a dry sack daily.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
Hi Scott - for day hunts, either should be fine. Both are heavier and bulkier than I'd take on a bivy hunt, but you certainly could do that as well.

I should clarify on my "softshell" - mine is basically a stretchy windshirt, and it only weighs 10 oz; about half of what most softshells weigh. And the only reason I carry it is for cutting the wind. Normal softshells I think are not the best for backpacking, since windshirts cut the wind better and fleece insulates better when moving, and both are lighter in weight and bulk. But when elk hunting in September, I simply do not need fleece or additional insulation for being active, since I'm either moving enough to be warm, or sitting still enough to use my down puffy.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
An FYI for anyone looking for a top-shelf bivy-hunting pack at a much cheaper price than the big boys, look    here .

MassDrop has been getting some great lightweight elk gear lately!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
I gotta quit reading all this stuff about gear and elk hunting or I'll be broke, divorced, and nutz by September.

Almost dropped $$ on Kuiu stuff on sale.  Caught myself in time.  Refocused now on a good pack and making sure boots are good to go or replace them (don't want a repeat of blisterfest 2014).  Ordered a few pairs from Zappos yesterday to try.

For this trip it'll be BDU's, field jacket liner, poncho/liner in case I get into elk late.  I can be uncomfortable for a few days and live.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
Bringing this back to the top (because I'm addicted I guess).

Put a couple of new strings on the bows last week and was shooting them yesterday.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Don't worry, Scott - I'm addicted too! Mostly training lately; it's nice to have some motivation to work harder!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
Agreed.

Got talking to a guy a the gym lately.  He's headed out to SW MT for DIY elk also.  Helps to push each other and bounce ideas like on here.

Decided to replace boots.  With no good hiking boot stores close, Zappos & Shoebuy are your friend and there are multiple pairs at the house being tried and retried.  Once narrowed down the right one, the rest go back for full refund.

Scoped out a good 9 mile trail with 1000ft elevation change that's not too far away.  Gonna start doing that on weekends with weighted pack.

Speaking of packs, I'm driving myself crazy looking at different options.  I thought the MR was the ticket and almost bought.  Really like the EXO concept.  Thought of Kifaru but that pushed the budget too much.  Have a Kuiu 3200 coming but that'll probably get sent back.  Gotta love the 60day return policy.  Since I plan to hunt from trailheads, I'm thinking of just using my old daypack (great for PA whitetails) and just going back to the truck and get the hauler when needed.  Only issue is this takes the overnight option out if I get into elk late.

Sorry for the long post.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
That's the way to go with shoes for most of us! I've done it many times; thank goodness for free returns. Also, hopefully you're using    Mr. Rebates  to get an additional 10% back from Shoebuy (and many other online stores).

I'm jealous of people like you who live among topographic changes. I have to climb stairs instead of hills around here.

If you're returning to the truck every day, you could get along pretty well with any day pack. It might not carry the first load out easily, but having a freighter in the truck will get you taken care of.

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
I think a daypack would work just fine for that. My best friend uses a little cheapo fleece day pack and has hauled meat out a couple times with it. Not comfy but works till he can get his frame pack

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©