3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11452 times)

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
I think a daypack would work just fine for that. My best friend uses a little cheapo fleece day pack and has hauled meat out a couple times with it. Not comfy but works till he can get his frame pack

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
Back up to the top! I've been messing with my Tyvek tarp lately and I'm not sure I like how it's looking. I tried a bunch of different setups and I think I prefer the GoLite SL2 we've been using, even though it's about 10 ounces heavier. Tarp just seems to offer too little protection.

Also, I'm stepping up my push-mower training (in addition to my typical workouts). Today I mowed for 2 hours with my 60-lb pack on as usual, but I soaked my feet before the last 30 minutes. This sounds stupid/crazy, but it's to start to condition my feet to not blister and get as sore when hiking while wet, which they undoubtedly will be for some of the time this fall.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
Good idea on soaking your feet.

Saturday I did 5.5 miles with a 45lb pack and 1730ft elevation change.  Also, narrowed down my new boot selection - Mammut mtn trail xt.  They seemed to fit the best after repeated trials followed closely by the Solomon Quest 4D.  These will be my secondary boots until well broken in.

Pack issues resolved too.  Found a deal on a MR Longbow.  More comfortable than the Kuiu 3200 even though a little heavier.  Few more straps than I like but I feel it'll be better comeing out heavy  ;) .

Now to narrow down the GPS.  Anybody use Garmin 64st?  Also, family is a little concerned with me going solo and have looked at the SPOT system?  I'm not real keen on it as I had limited cell access on top last trip.  Any opinions?
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
I have a 64st. I like it but it isn't quite as fast or as user friendly as my old 62. I bought the western X Maps chip for it too.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »
I use the 64st, it is a good GPS, can do more than I know how to make it do! But I just really mark stuff with it tree stands, camp, fishing holes, rubs, scraps.

Can't go wrong with it.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
I like my garmin 62 with the on x chip. Also bought a Delorme inreach for this fall to communicate with others hunting with me and the family back at home.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Today I mowed for 2 hours with my 60-lb pack on as usual,  
This seems like an exceptionally good idea.   :thumbsup: .  If there is anyone in my area who would like to try this, my lawn is available.   :)

Working up to the wet feet problem is a good idea.  Every season I lose a couple toenails from walking in wet socks!

I admire your commitment and planning.  I hope your Hunt is all you hope it to be.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
I thought the systems like Spot functioned by satellite.  I'm thinking of getting one of those type systems this year.  Just the simple type that alerts S&R if I've "fallen and can't get up".

You wouldn't need to be alone to get use out of it.  It will be handy if a partner goes down.
Monterey

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
Monterey - The SPOT systems do use satellites.  My comment was more of I didn't think it was necessary as I had some cell service last time out.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood.  I thought you meant there was no service and thought it was needed.

In 2012 I had a VERY serious accident 12 miles in from a land line in winter at 2:30 in the afternoon.  Elevation was about 10,500.  Cell service was nonexistent for about 25 miles.

I would be dead if I'd been alone.  We were on snowmobiles so one of my companions went to the land line and called for help. He described pretty accurately where we were. Then he went back to the scene with a sled behind his snowmobile.  

They wrapped me into the sled and took me out.  The chopper was waiting for us.  They had searched for us until dark and then went to the trailhead and waited.

WE NEVER EVEN HEARD THE CHOPPER!

I tell this story to emphasize how helpful it could have been to have a satellite based distress call system.  Or, in this case even a GPS would have allowed relaying the coordinates to S&R via the land line.

I'm pretty sure I'll add one of these to my kit before season this year.  I Hunt mostly alone.
Monterey

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
Sorry about going off on a tangent
Monterey

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
I'm finally Mountain House free!

I've been trying to get away from Mountain House meals for years. They're convenient, but expensive, carb-laden, and not very nutritious. I finally decided to try    Patrick Smith\\'s Wild Casserole , and it was all that a backcountry food should be. I love it, and I will eat it every day over Mountain House. Cheaper, more versatile, better-tasting, less digestive issues, and far more nutritious. I'm working on making my second big batch of it later today to store up for the backcountry.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
Monterey - your story has me rethinking the SPOT or similar device.  I'll be solo most of the trip also.  Added bonus is my sons will be able to track me on Google maps using the SPOT.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
Looks great PistolPete:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by ScottinPA:
Monterey - your story has me rethinking the SPOT or similar device.  I'll be solo most of the trip also.  Added bonus is my sons will be able to track me on Google maps using the SPOT.
I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, but it seemed like a good opportunity to throw a thought out there that might be helpful to others.
Monterey

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
IMO it wasn't a sidetrack just good info.  Right now there is a 50% rebate on the SPOT unit if anyone is interested.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
bringing it back to the top
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by ScottinPA:
bringing it back to the top
I don't know if you got a pack yet but I highly recommend Exo mountain gear packs
Tim

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »
After going around and around with lots of ideas, I found a good deal on a MR Longbow.  I think the EXO 3500 may be the first upgrade over the fall/winter.  I like the concept and layout of the packs better than the offerings of Kifaru and MR.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Getting equipment prepared for my first elk hunt.  Ordered Primos set of 4 diaphram calls to start learning that. I am wondering about a reed style call.  Anyone use those and which brand have you found to be quality?
Pete....that meal looks very good. I'm going to try and make those too.  I made my bear hunt meals but the dried meat chunks were really tough and it all made for a lot of chewin when I really wanted to get back to huntin!
I have been leaning toward using my 10 by 10 Bushcraft tarp to save weight.  Seems like the ticket and easy to set up in the diamond fly form.

Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©