3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11453 times)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »
like this sort of set up...

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
I'll have to check out the Golite SL2 and see if I can fit something like that in my budget or not....

Dan

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
I just bought a diaphragm call but not real good yet.  Gotta break the habit of trying to turkey yelp with it.
I also have a Primos "I Maka da bull crazy" (or something like that) call that I like.  Used it in 2011 in WY and called in a good bull but no shot.  I bent the reed sometime when I put the cap back on but it still sounds good.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
google jimmytarps  he makes some great and affordable shelters
Tim

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Hey Dan - that 10x10 should work great. GoLite is no longer in business, but you can get a similar shelter from Mountainsmith. Or, if it's just you going solo, I'd get the Gatewood Cape. It is a poncho (and pack cover), and single-man shelter.

I like diaphragms for bugling (look up some Youtube videos; it's pretty simple) and open-reed calls for most of my cow-calling. I have the Primos "Imaka" long range and it's good. I also have some Carlton open reeds that are orange/yellow -- cheap and sound great too.

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
Oldrubline the best reed type call I've found is from bulging bull called (the temptress) super easy to use and you can get many tones from it. I also have a carlton estrus cow call that's second on my list it's a little more nasally sounding. I have the reed style call called (who's yrr daddy) with a little push button that I don't care for so much. I also have one from dual game calls called (widow maker 1) it sounds good but is very loud. If you want to be heard a ways off this is the call but up close calling it's to loud in my opinion. Hope this helps and everyone else like different calls.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
X2 on the Buglin Bull calls from Rocky Jacobson.  I use his open reed cow calls and I also use his bugles that have the Conqueror mouthpiece.  It makes learning to bugle very easy and does a nice job. I called two hunters into me last time out and they said I sounded pretty convincing. Got bulls revved up with them too.  I'm not looking to be a master bugler, so I leave the mouth diaphragms to others,  plus I gag on the diaphragm,  which makes the Conqueror system so nice.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
You guys are really amping me up!  Just counted the days till opener. The countdown is on.

I use any turkey or elk mouth call for bugling.  They all seem to work.  Also have several of the Lohmancow calls as well as a few similar ones that have been very effective.

At one time we all were carrying those long grunt tubes around.  Great for using your own vocal chords to grunt with or for bugling through.  They hide imperfect sounds well.  Get in the way for bowhunting.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Sounds good guys...thank you!!

Dan

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Golite is back as Mytrail company. Not sure if they are remaking the sl2 though. I love my sl5.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
Planning on using the tarp with ground cloth combo which will be under about 2 lbs. I have a downmat exped that will add to some of that weight but gives me a restorative sleep. Using a Big agnes 2 person down bag which allows me a sleep similar to a quilt and no down fill on the bottom to save some bulk.
Now for the stove....   I really really like the wood burning option since no need to carry fuel, but am worried about the fire ban possibility.  So, alternative would be canister stove. Looking at Giga power which are real light.  Any additional thoughts on these options?

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by oldrubline:
Now for the stove....   I really really like the wood burning option since no need to carry fuel, but am worried about the fire ban possibility.
I liked the "idea" of a wood burning stove so I bought one.  I have since found it's heat output to be a bit "anemic" for boiling water to make meals in my backyard.  Wouldn't want to find that out on day one, a few miles from the road.

I've stuck with a canister stove.
homebru

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
The giga power stove should work fine. I use a optimus crux lite for all my backpacking and elk hunting.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
BTT because I got my tag in the mail this week and I'm stoked.

I think I have everything I need so I'm down to looking for ways to cut some weight on my pack.  Daypacking so I'm surprised the total with 3L water is 22.1 lbs.  I'll do a bag dump again and see what else I can duel purpose.

For those in Griz country - gun or spray?  I have a handgun but don't like how it sets on my pack belt and it weighs 3.5 lbs.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
If you can shoot, are not subject to flinches, the S&W 329 makes a good griz carry gun.  It weighs what three speed loaders of ammo do.  And its a 44 mag.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
13 pounds.

I just finished my gear list for this fall. My backpack will weigh a little over 13 lbs before food and water. I don't think it's possible to go any lighter -- which is of utmost importance since I bivy hunt and always carry my camp, which is by far the most effective way to kill an elk. Not the easiest, many times not the most fun, and sometimes nearly impossible to get the meat out.

I can't get the table to format in this post, but  you can see my full list here.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
Currently testing my Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs. It is a floorless shelter that is also wearable as a poncho, even covering your pack and functioning as a pack cover. It is a technical piece of ultralight gear, and would not work for all people or all situations; however, I am starting to love it. I an planning on taking it as my only tent and rain gear next month. Just seam-sealed it today. An advantage to a 2 or 3 man shelter is the much smaller footprint; that makes site selection much easier in the steep mountains. It weighs 12 ounces.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
Nice setup.  That's something I'm going to consider in future hunts.

I think my setup is established for this year.  Guess it better be since I leave in 3 weeks.  
I'm at 21 lbs without food/water but that's only a daypack.  I can't imagine 13 lbs for extended bivy.  I guess to be fair the Alaskan adds about 4 lbs.  

Plan to go thru the pack several times over the next few weeks and get rid of the GIF stuff.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
You got it coming together now, Scott!

I'm shooting the bow every day now. Taking my 68", [email protected] Border Griffon GL, that I sent to Tom Parsons to install a Connexion hinge. I have got to have a takedown in elk country!

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Wrapping up final details getting ready to leave Saturday. Will be glassing Sunday evening and headed up the mountain before light on Monday, packed for 10 days! I've eaten very clean the past few weeks and dropped another 5 pounds of "pack weight." Today I've been stropping broadheads one more time (they'll all shave hair with the grain, with no pressure, in one stroke) and applying fresh DWR to my wind shirt, hat, pants, boots, and pack bag.

My packing list is almost all crossed off now!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©