3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11455 times)

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
How'd it go?
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Just getting my feet back under me now. It was a very tough hunt. We always get on elk, and it's been a long time since we've gone a full day without seeing and/or hearing elk up close. But this hunt, that was the exception and not the rule. We didn't shoot an elk for the first time since I've been making the trip to Colorado; we didn't even have a shot opportunity. I saw one bull.

It leaves a bitter taste. Not the lack of a kill (though me and partners are 11/11 prior to this trip on shooting elk, and our family lives on game meat), but the lack of action. We climbed and fought to reach a number of previous hotspots, including a 40-mile circuit hike, without reward.

I'm very dejected, honestly. I suppose my hopes were too high, but all the preparation with no opportunities is hard.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
My season went much the same.  

My son in law went to the area I hunted last year and swore I'd never go back too.  He was into elk every day but didn't get close enough.

It is what it is, there is always next year.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Dang. Hoping you'd bring some good news. Same for me and my brother this year. Hunted harder, longer and farther than ever before and for the most part... No elk action save for almost being run over by a cow under moonlight while searching for active Bulls and having a raghorn sneak in quiet after a late breakfast... Called him back in 3 times but no shot oppurtunity. He was a confused mess  :)  but yeah, rejecting year after my hopes were so high and so much hard work put in. But alas... Memories were made and beauty was experienced. Until next year, yah?  ;)
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Many similar stories this year. ..  many die-hard CO resident elk hunters had a tough year.  Full moon, temps, etc.  made for tough hunting.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2016, 05:25:00 AM »
Similar experience also..Full Moon, zero bugling, warm days, many miles on the boots, and empty coolers, beetle killed areas were difficult to navigate..elk hunting at its finest
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2018, 09:30:25 PM »
I think I was in the shop when Tom was installing the hinge on that bow, I doubt he has cut more than one Border bow in half.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2018, 07:10:48 AM »
This was a good thread with lots of useful info. Did you all go back in 2017, and if so, was that hunt more like the previous ones?  I am guessing not since no posts from last fall.  Returning this fall?  If so, what will you do differently?
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©