3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11459 times)

Offline Saguache

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
Sock,Good binoculars are much more important than a spotter IMO, my spotter usually stays in the truck for long range scouting from the road. 10x40 Nikon Monarchs are all I use up in the mountains.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
Awesome bull, Newhouse! I've never hunted Oregon, but that sounds like an ideal place.

Sock, I don't glass much at all when actually hunting elk; I just don't see the need for glass since I'm not evaluating trophy potential. I don't even carry binos anymore, since they're so dang heavy. However, I do glass from the truck at times. I'm testing this 9-oz tripod (ZipShot Mini) and it looks promising.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
I agree, I never pack a scope elk hunting but binocs are a must for me.  So PP, what happened with your previous two bulls? Anything you think you can change to improve recovery (share what you learned from those two).
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Good question, Kadbow. In a nutshell, what I learned is that an exit hole is a MUST when elk hunting and Dr. Ashby is 100% correct about broadheads. I will never chase elk again without  a long, skinny, heavy, single-bevel head.

I don't want to start a broadheads-for-elk debate, but I shot my first 2 elk with 57-65#, 550-650 grain (tuned, high-FOC) carbon arrows, and a wide Magnus I 2-blade and a Woodsmen 3-blade. Both hits were good but neither exited (quartering away), so I was left with little to no blood to follow and was unable to find either animal. It was devastating.

I realize people have other opinions on broadheads and I don't want to start debating them here, but those are my thoughts and experiences. I've got Cutthroats this year!

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
I have a Antelope and Deer hunt scheduled out of State this year but I will hit the Elk wood here in Colorado as I can.

I'm in.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
An exit hole is nice but not 100% needed. The bull above was actually killed at a hard quartering towards me when I shot it. What I feel helped the most was a fairly low hit on entry. The bull was actually coming up hill when I shot him. The arrow did leave an exit wound but it was very high up and right in front of the off side ham. Virtually no blood from the exit. The arrow was a 7595 trad GT full length with a 150 grain point adapter and a 200 grain grizzly kodiak up front. Total arrow weight about 750 grains. This pushed by a Bear Montana 60 lb longbow.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
Nice shot, Newhouse! And lucky you, BT, you've got some great plans.

This time of year, one of my favorite ways to increase my odds is via scouting. However, I live too far from elk country to actually hike it, so I have to rely on the internet. That's not ideal, but not terrible--I've had great luck identifying places that hold elk in bow season with just the internet. Actually, 6 of my groups last 6 bulls were killed in areas where we had never set foot until we went in there hunting.
The best tool I have is    CalTopo . To illustrate how it works, I picked a Colorado unit (43) near Snowmass, CO, where I've never been. Being a backpack hunter, I try to find secluded areas that are difficult to access, yet close enough to the truck that I waste minimal time between spots. I found a few spots in the Maroon Bells Wilderness in unit 43 that look very promising, and mapped access routes into them:

I'll then look for 6-8 or more similar spots in close proximity, and prioritize them. With CalTopo, one can plot routes and then check out the elevation profiles to see just how hard access will be. It's a great tool! And    HERE   is the actual map I drew, you can play around with it for yourself.

If you want, find a few other spots of your own on the map and we can discuss them. And if you've ever been to these areas, let me know if I was right about them holding elk!

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
" I'm 33 and I can tell I'm no longer 23."

Wow.  Wait till your 63 and see how you feel after a day in the Mountains.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP... you beat me to it!     :saywhat:    I'm 62 and I can tell I'm no longer 61!     :rolleyes:  

Still love getting in the mountains every chance I get, though!     :archer:
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
Good stuff, and with March almost over, elk season is only 4.5 months away!  No time to waste.  Serious prep effort will be the difference between those of us packing out elk meat and those packing out an unfilled elk tag.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
Sometimes it can be a relief to carry out less than you carried in.   :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
Cool thread. This year I started weight lifting to gain some strength. I am doing a program called strong lifts 5x5. I have never been much into weights but have been really enjoy it. Using this program i have been able to steadily increase my weight and not be sore. I am upto 225lbs for 5x5 squats. Ready to haul some quarters!

Also bought Swarovski slc binos. I get chest pain every time I think about it, then I look through them and forget about the price because they are amazing!

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
Awesome! Heavy lifting and those compound movements (squats/deadlifts/cleans/etc) are highly under appreciated, and 5x5 @ 225 with proper form is great! I love barbell training and think it is very valuable for a pursuit like this. And I bet you love those binos...

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Have been kayak fishing 5 days a week ( good workout and also fun )and about to start hiking with a 50# pack several days a week also..

Will be here before you know it.....

,,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
I'm with you PistolPete.  After 20 years of shooting trad (whitetails and black bears) I went on my second elk hunt last year and got talked into carrying a compound.  I didn't get a shot and felt a huge part of the hunt was missing for me.  I'm committed now to do it with my longbow or nothing.  

Went through my gear list again today and apart from food I'm ready to go at the drop of a hat  :)   However, at 46 I'm glad I still have a few warm months to get in more training.  It will be another DIY backpack hunt, my favourite kind.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, Sam and Seeza. Speaking of gear lists, here's mine, with all weights listed:

I think it's as light as one would ever want to go, and I consider myself an extreme minimalist. However, I think any elk hunter (and certainly any backpacker) could massively benefit from owning a kitchen scale and weighing every item. It has opened my eyes and made my hunting much more efficient. I wish I had done it years before.

My pack, before food and water, weighs right at 15 lbs. Add 1.5 lbs of food per day and an average of 1 liter of water = 23 lbs for a 4-day jaunt. My additional carried weight, including my bow, the clothes on my back and boots on my feet, adds another 5 lbs for a grand total of 28 pounds added to my naked body.

You're welcome for the image.

What does your list look like?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
. I didn't get a shot and felt a huge part of the hunt was missing for me. I'm committed now to do it with my longbow or nothing.
Not only that, but compare the weight of a compound and the paraphernalia to service it to the 32oz of Longbow equipment!  I always found carrying a wheel bow to be uncomfortable.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »
I'll try and figure out how to post my spreadsheet.  I've spent quite a bit of time and money putting my kit together but come in heavier than you.  I'm at 35 lbs before consumables so for 12 days total pack weight is 50.49 lbs.  That is my solo set up without sharing anything like a tent, stove, etc.

Monterey-you're right about all the cr-p that went with the compound.  Release, tools, etc.  not to mention the fragility of bumping sights, cams, etc.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by PistolPete:
Thanks for the input, Sam and Seeza. Speaking of gear lists, here's mine, with all weights listed:

I think it's as light as one would ever want to go, and I consider myself an extreme minimalist. However, I think any elk hunter (and certainly any backpacker) could massively benefit from owning a kitchen scale and weighing every item. It has opened my eyes and made my hunting much more efficient. I wish I had done it years before.

My pack, before food and water, weighs right at 15 lbs. Add 1.5 lbs of food per day and an average of 1 liter of water = 23 lbs for a 4-day jaunt. My additional carried weight, including my bow, the clothes on my back and boots on my feet, adds another 5 lbs for a grand total of 28 pounds added to my naked body.

You're welcome for the image.

What does your list look like?
Dang you got your gear down way lower than my pack weight. I do tend to bring a few things I could do without but I figure I just have to get them to spike camp then I'm done with the load till time to pack out. We don't go near as far in as your planning to go either. I just bought one of those kitchen scales and can see that this will be a huge benefit in getting my pack weight down some this year.
Good luck to all that will be heading out chasing elk this season!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
Elk season is only 4 months and 3 weeks away so now is the perfect time to start preping.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
Yeah, Basinboy, I am a ultralighter mostly because I always have my pack on my back during a hunt; therefore, it has to be as small and light as possible.

I've also been working on a little DIY project to lighten my load further: a bivy sack, made from 2 different types of Tyvek.

I think it's going to work great, increase the warmth of my 30 degree bag, and allow me to save even more weight by carrying a tarp instead of a tent.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©