3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11457 times)

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Great thread, love the passion!  Elks can do that to a fella.

Looks like you are only using one set of clothes for the entire hunt, and have no cold weather clothes.  Are you staying back in the entire hunt, or coming out to vehicle half way through hunt to replenish?  Must be a very early season hunt; even so you can still get snow up high, what about that?

This year for the first time, I will attempt to carry my camp on my back all the time, like you.  All my previous backcountry hunts were bivy hunts up to 6 miles back into wilderness, but the need to always come back to bivy camp location hurt my chances.  The thought of camping wherever darkness finds me is exciting, especially if close to elk.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
I stay active and try to watch what I eat and limit my bud light. I wear 3-5# ankle weights all day every day, when yard care season comes I wear my frame pack with 60# of sand while I mow and weed wack (2+ hrs per week).  I love to fish high lakes and spend a good deal of time hiking to them in the summer and I work really hard on various boxing training routines The latter helps drop weight faster than anything, increases lung power rapidly and is a great way to relieve stress for a non-traditional student attending a VERY liberal college, such as myself.     :pray:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Cool stuff......I was 59years old on my first elk hunt.......getting in shape is very, very important. Best of luck this fall!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
I like the Ideas.  I need to lighten my load some.  I am a little stumped by the 1/2s but it makes me smile.    :dunno:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2016, 12:36:00 AM »
Brent, sounds like you attend Ft Lewis.   :goldtooth:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
Ha, Pinky--glad you got a smile. The "1/2" refers to gear split between me and my partner. We're not cutting things in half, but we split them up evenly.

Jeff, we usually hunt the last 2 weeks of September, and up to 12,000 feet. I do only use one set of clothes, but it's more than enough for me: long sleeve merino tee, merino boxer briefs, long underwear, wind shirt, lightweight pants, down puffy (key!), merino toboggan, merino buff, and rain jacket and pants. Never needed any more than that, though sometimes I wear it all! I find that I'm usually moving or in my sleeping bag, so that helps too.

And you're right, there is absolutely nothing like a true bivy hunt, wandering with the elk and sleeping where you end up (except when you have to hike away from them to keep from being too close!). And there is also no more lethal way to hunt them. Just keep moving and it's only a matter of time...

Thanks for the input, all.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
EFFICIENT TRAINING FOR AN ELK HUNT

I enjoy working out year-round, but an upcoming hunt gives me more motivation. With 2 young kids, I typically don't get as much time in my garage gym as I'd like, but I shoot for 4 sessions per week, and usually 10-20 minutes per session. That may seem like a short amount of time, but it's more than enough. Every workout I do is some sort of maximal effort. My general workout theme is to always do high-intensity functional movements.

At the start of the season, I focus more on heavy weightlifting. I concentrate on deadlifts, squats, and Turkish getups. These are the 3 most important lifts in the world, and every person should learn to do them with proper form. I do absolutely ZERO bench press, curls, tricep pushdowns, lat pulls, or anything else commonly done in a gym or on a machine. They are a waste of your time if you are after performance gains in the mountains.

I also incorporate bodyweight exercises, especially pullups, pushups, burpees (!), lunges, and sprints. There is NO reason for any elk hunter to ever run distances of over 800 meters. It hurts your joints and wastes your muscle mass. Not having to run long distance sounds easy, until you run 400-meter repeats as fast as possible with 1:30 break between them. Then you'll be screaming to go run 6 miles instead!

As far as equipment, it doesn't take much. If I were to recommend one purchase for all elk hunters, it would be a kettlebell. 35 pounds is a great starting weight for most men. Learn to do squats, lunges, swings, kettlebell snatches, and split squats, then mix them all up at random with bodyweight exercises and sprints 3-5 times per week.

Of course, train with a loaded pack as often as possible as well. I'll gradually increase my pack training as the season gets closer, and continue push-mowing with my 60 lbs all summer.

My recommendation for any elk hunter is to learn proper form first (!), then give it a try! Gradually work your way up to maximal efforts and be prepared for major benefits.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
I go to spinning class 2x a week. Lift 2x a week. One day of uphill treadmill cardio. Plus I walk my Brittanies and do yoga. What I think helps me the most is to shoot while I'm tired and when my heart rate is up. You really need to focus
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
Your pulling a crossfit style exercise - functional movements - deadlifts turkish, BURPEES ! OUCH - - it will get you into shape for sure! great training and builds endurance. I enjoy the CF stuff go three times a week to keep myself fit for the fire department and also hunting.

Enjoy following the thread - cool info from all.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »

Another common question you hear is, "which boots are best for an elk hunt?" I have a much different opinion on footwear. I don't want heavy, tall boots which get wet and stay wet and make me roll my ankles because of their high heels. I want light, low, and breathable--something just like the above. They dry in a heartbeat (I HATE Goretex; it always leaks and then never dries. Why would I want to wear a rain jacket on my feet?), fight fatigue, and sit low to the ground, providing much better ankle stability.

I've packed 100+ pounds in lightweight trail runners for miles--no problems there, either. The only issue I've had is that they wear out after a couple weeks of elk hunting, but I think it's a good trade-off.

What do you like?

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »
For elk hunting in most terrain I think you have a point. I cut my teeth hunting dall sheep in some of the nastiest rocky country on earth and have completely destroyed good Danner's in three days. You need the ankle support (and protection) of a higher boot in steep rocky ground, IMHO

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
I did a little spinning today up a closed road with the dog, then stashed the bike and headed up a ridge to slay some stumps. That bike and incline had me huffing and puffing.    :help:  
I was also trying out a "new to me" pair of Danner boots, they feel good on the feet but after a little climbing I could feel some a hot spot on one of my heels. Maybe they just need a little more breaking in.  I have been very happy with some Keen hikers in the past.

I saw a few Mulies with the binoculars and there were lots of elk and deer tracks on the ridge.

Still not sure about that 1/2 cup.    ;)
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
Great thread.  I can only dream of an elk hunt.  Maybe after I retire from teaching (September is a tough time to get time off in the teaching world). But then I will be over 60 and the winter doldrums will require even more work to come back from than it does for you 33 year kids.     :goldtooth:
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the input, all.

Pinky - I'm jealous of you getting to live in a place like that! I've thought western MT would be about the perfect place for me. Maybe one day...

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
PP, I'm with you on western MT.  Hunted it in 2014 and can't wait to get back.

Boots - definitely break in whatever you choose.  I thought my boots were good in 2014 but after a day I had bad blisters.  I had a pair of cheap Bass Pro 400g insulated boots along which saved the day (other than being way too warm).  

I'm taking a little different approach this year.  Been lifting using Starting Strength program since Jan.  Plan to reduce that in May to one heavy lift day adding weight each time and one light lift day per week (80% of heavy day. Then throw in swim/bike/run & hikes on the in between days.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
I have begun training as well... I appreciate the work out guidance . Been doing lunges here...
I'll also say incorporate some calf work outs... Mine tend to bother me hiking the hills
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Great!

Scott, Starting Strength is THE book for getting stronger. I'm sure you've already seen tremendous progress. Your periodization concept is similar to what I do--strength focus early in the year shifting to more metabolic training and pack work as the hunt approaches...

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 03:35:00 AM »
Bump
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Just read through this thread and I am very excited to find it!  I am going on my first out-of-state MT spring bear in late May.  I am thinking about doing an elk hunt in the fall this year.  Never done anything like that. I am 47 and in pretty good shape. Spend a lot of time hiking and ski all winter. Going to up the training so that I can increase the lung capacity.  I 've been studying elk hunting equipment and reading what I can. If I do this, I'll be dropped off somewhere by my wife while she visits friends in Durango with the teens. (my deer hunting partner can't go this year) I would hope to get into some wilderness area with few other hunters (don't we all!). I am going to be satisfied to just follow through with the plan, see some beautiful country, and ....maybe, an elk!  A successful hunt for me would not have to include a big bull...be happy with a cow and some good meat for the freezer.

A big part of prep for me will be figuring out where the heck to go without having ever even been to the state!

Dan

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Best of luck on the bear hunt, Dan. You can locate elk with ease by online scouting. I'm batting around .800 on spots I located with online scouting holding awesome populations of elk--just make sure you have a handful of options and be mobile. Then, it's only a matter of time!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©