3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11461 times)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks PistolPete!  I am trying to learn all I can about how to prepare and where the resources are.  Reading the book The Modern Elk Hunter right now and just getting into the section on scouting using online resources.  
I have wondered lately if I'll be in over my head as a solo hunter.  I have read some posts and articles suggesting that the amount of work to haul out meat on a remote hunt (several miles or more in) would be too much and could result in meat spoilage before you got it all out.  That made me depressed since I want to hunt in hard to reach areas away from ATVs or other hunters.  

Dan

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Dan look around for some trad brothers to go as a group. I love hunting alone and do that most of the time. But 4 of us got together to hunt elk in Colorado and I wouldn't trade that time to hunt it alone. The 4 of us were able to pack out a big cow elk in one trip. We are tentatively planning another trip this fall. It depends on how this last ct scan turned out. I'll have a heck of a job getting hunt strong as I'm 67, fighting cancer, and spent the last 3 months on my butt or back due to internal bleeding. The bleeding has stopped and my strength is returning. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is do what you need to do to hunt elk, open yourself to different options, choose you hunting companions wisely, and have the time of your life.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
Thank you very much for your encouragement and I wish you the best and send you my thoughts and meditation on a swift healthy recovery to full strength.  I am always inspired by those like you with a strong passion and motivation to live life to the fullest!  Hope I am as strong as you when I am your age!
As for the solo, yes, I too spend a lot of time doing solo deer hunting and woods 'loafing'.  But, love most of all the sharing with others at the end of a hard hunt as we sit around the fire.  I would love to have company on such a trip, especially with those who share the love of traditional equipment and a respect for quiet Wilderness, but I am a newbie and don't want to slow anyone up (at least until I can see what I am 'made of' when I reach the mountains).  I am planning and dreaming now and at some point soon I'll decide whether or not to go do it this September...or wait until my great deer hunting partner can go in the future.

Sincerely,

Dan

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
Oldrubline me and few guys will be hunting elk in Colorado again , I will be in the mountains for 3 weeks again. You are welcome to go with us if you want just let me know. OTC tag DIY , pack into wilderness area no ATVs....

I just started a new outlook on my lifestyle and where I want to be come elk season myself. I have cut out all sodas and crap food , I have never had any problems in the mountains but this year will be the best yet. I spend lots of time on the road and always in a hurry or pressed for time so I spend way to much time eating fast food and just plain junk. Just time for a change I'm not in bad shape and feel I could hit the mountain right now but and do fine. I'm six foot one inch tall and 185lbs and 44 years old so it's not a weight loss deal. I am just wanting to be the Monster on the mountain this season and also for many seasons in the future. Starting my walking and hiking with my pack loaded with 65lbs , mountain biking , some weights and lots of kayak fishing. Also my son started shooting again so I'm fired up with my life and can't wait for this season.....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Double Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
This will be my 5th trip out to Colorado OTC... The first year I wasn't really prepared for what the mountains had in store for us.  As a flatlander, it is really hard to comprehend how hard you have to work to hunt the mountains.  I knew it would be hard, but I underestimated it.

After that first year, it has gotten much easier.  A LOT of it is mental.. Once you get over that, it can be done.

As for going solo your first time... I think it depends on your personality.  To me, the mountains are a very lonely place.  I don't know if I could do more than a few days solo.

There is nothing like it though and I hope I can go every year for as long as my body allows.  This annual trip makes me at least consider my diet and exercise routine throughout the entire year.  It really becomes a lifestyle.  I hope you get to go oldrubline.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
Getting an elk out on your own is tough, but don't let it stop you if it's your only option.  Learn the techniques for boning an animal out.  That will reduce an average size. Elk to 160 to 200#.  That's two or three trips for one guy and on most terrain could be done in one day if it's two miles in.  If there is a head to carry out it can be done later.

Not trying to make it sound easy, but we all do what we have to do one way or another   :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
old rub:  If you do go solo, check with outfitters, game warden, butcher shop, meat processor, sporting goods store, etc. in the area you plan to hunt.  Might be able to find someone who will pack the animal out for you with mules or horses if you get one.

If you pack more than three miles in, I doubt you would be able to get out an elk by yourself before some of it spoiled.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Old rub I went solo the first year I hunted elk. I didn't pack in but  set up a base camp. BUT when I stepped off the back of the pickup I popped my knee out. If I had been miles back by myself I'd have been in a lot of trouble. Hunting deer at home alone you can get hurt but someone will be looking for you in a few hours. Back in the mountains you're screwed!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Going solo for elk can be done. In 2010 I was hunting with a herd of Tradgang guys in a Colorado wilderness area. I shot a nice cow 8 miles away from the car at 10K elevation. My friends wanted to help but I wanted to try to pack it alone. I hiked 44 miles in 42 hours. 3 trips out. 1with the hide and 2 packs of boneless meat at 75# each. If I did it again, I would split the meat into 3-50# packs. I lived at 7,500' at the time and was in good shape for being 41.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
Hey everyone!  Thank you for sharing your experiences with me and giving me some perspective to go by. It sounds like this will be a real hunting obsession and the mountains call you back year after year.  I will go on my bear hunt in MT at the end of may (remember, that will be my first out of state).  It will be solo yet maybe not what I will experience in CO...still, it should show me what such a hunt can be like and help me decide if I am going to do the elk hunt this year.  I have gotten ahead of myself a bit in the hunting dreams. Actually, I have a 5 day turkey hunt coming up..then the bear spot and stalk.  I have been so excited by all of it that my mind wandered off to the future and elk...and maybe AZ muleys..and...and!

Thanks again all,

Dan
Sam S.  I am going to send you a PM

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
AND , AND,AND it never ends LOL

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
I live in the mountains and stare at peaks every day....  That said, they still cause ache every time I climb them.    Before age 35 or so, I never took conditioning seriously.   But now, even living in the mountains, I do light crossfit to get the most out of Sept.

I say light because I do the reps and exercises on the WOD, I just scale down the weight considerably for less joint damage.  Kudos to you flatlanders for respecting the challenge these mountains pose.  

Jeff

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
To say i am jealous of this thread is an understatment...... Ill be living very vicariously through it.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
I'm tuning my bow/arrow combination for maximum elk deadliness. Current arrow setup is a 30", 300-spine Easton Powerflight, footed, with 350 grains up front. This results in a total weight of 655 grains and over 25% FOC. Torn between 250-grain Cutthroats (tougher one-piece design) and 300-grain Steel Force heads (better mechanical advantage, thicker steel; below). I'm a complete Ashby disciple, if you couldn't tell!

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Pete, Elk and Ashby arrows should always go together-in my opinion and experience.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
PistolPete,
You have a phone in your list and appear to be using it for the camera and gps.  I don't know much about gps (have only used compass/map in the east).  I don know the phone has that option.  How do you keep it charged for a multi day hunt?  Battery pack?  Does it take the place of gps and work well for that purpose for you?

Dan

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Hi Dan,

I only use my phone as a GPS for backup. I ALWAYS have a printed/waterproof 1:24 topo map of my area and compass that I use 98% of the time. So my phone battery will last a week or more with as little as I use it; however, it is nice to have from time to time. Get the "Avenza PDF Maps" app and download your relevant USGS quads (for free) in advance.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
I love this thread, very inspiring!

Maineac and others who have trouble getting time off in September for elk: hunt elk in UTah!  Their opener this year is 8/20 and they have OTC tags plus high elk population plus very good public areas.  I did my very first elk hunt there, solo in 2001 and was just hoping to gain some experience, but returned with a huge smile and an elk in the coolers!  You can do it too!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
To all backpack hunters: if you're shopping for ultralight gear, check out    Massdrop  right now. They have a 20-degree down quilt for $200, and collapsible trekking poles for $50. Both are real steals for quality gear.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
PP, Great thread for sure.

I've been wondering about the kettle bells and appreciate you sharing the good starting weight. Is there a set "routine" you do with the kettle bell?

Also, I'm curious about the tyvek bivy. Is there a pattern you used or just eyeballed it? Is that a zipper or velcro or even something else along the side?

Thanks again for all the sharing and good luck!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©