3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Operation Longbow Elk 2016  (Read 11458 times)

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Operation Longbow Elk 2016
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
Hi Jcar,

There is no set routine--that's the whole point. Constant variation, but always high intensity. One day I might do 100 kettlebell squats as fast as possible. The next day might be 5 sets of 10 kb clean and jerks on each side as fast as possible. Then the next day, 50 each of kb lunges, kb snatches, pushups, push presses, and kb swings. All of course with proper form and as fast as possible. I would recommend almost never doing the same workout twice--use infinite variability. Keeps things interesting!

I wrote up my    DIY Tyvek bivy   in more detail on my blog, with measurements. And yes, it's velcro.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
Pistol, Thanks big time!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline MattC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
Good luck with it all mate. I came over to Colorado in 2010 with my Jim Jones Firefly longbow and tried to get an Elk. No success but a trip to remember. It certainly left a burning desire to get back there with longbow in hand.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm shooting every day now, getting my longbow dialed in. I'm shooting a 68", [email protected] Border Griffon GL this year. It's an incredible bow.

I also twisted up a new string (8 strands of Ultra Cam, 10 in the loops), and instead of using my normal two larger acrylic yarn puffs, I split each puff in half and put a total of 4 smaller ones on the string, at 1/3 and 1/4 on each side. Made it noticeably quieter than with 2 larger puffs!

Offline Saguache

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Nice bow Pete! I've heard lots of good things about Border bows. Should be more than enough to get the job done. Whats' your arrow setup?

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
Well no bighorn sheep tag for me (didn't really expect it) so now I need to really focus on making MT elk a reality.
Training is going well.  I'm into my 3rd week switch to more cardio.
Looking at a new pack and thinking of Mystery Ranch load sling with daypack lid.  Should offer enough room to serve as a daypack and be able to come out heavy loaded.  Not planning to carry camp with me daily this year.  Anybody have experience/opinions on this type set up?
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online HOGLESS2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
Scott, you can't go wrong with a MR pack. I have the crew crab, it's bomb proof. The last pack you will have to buy. I'm going to Montana this year for elk also. Good luck to you.

Offline bhylton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
i would look hard at an exo mountain gear 3500 pack. they can be had used around 300-350$ super solid pack and has a load sling which is key. being able to carry meat and your gear totally separate is a game changer. compresses down to only a couple inches thick when empty without a bunch of straps and floppy fabric hanging off

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by PistolPete:
...... I also twisted up a new string (8 strands of Ultra Cam, 10 in the loops), and instead of using my normal two larger acrylic yarn puffs, I split each puff in half and put a total of 4 smaller ones on the string, at 1/3 and 1/4 on each side. Made it noticeably quieter than with 2 larger puffs!
Just a suggestion, but it can get mighty wet hunting elk.  Might consider going with rubber cat whiskers
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Brad, that EXO Mtn Gear 3500 looks good, especially for a bivy hunt.  Need to do some more research and shopping.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline bhylton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
that "level" of pack in spendy, but its a one time deal hopefully. I have a kuiu icon pro 3200 which i like, but ive used the EXO 3500 several times and its the pack im gonna buy my wife. basically all we do is backpack hunt and they work great. light, very comfy, very adjustable and they handle as much weight as you want to carry.

Cheers  :)

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
Saguache - I'm shooting a 30" 300 spine Easton Powerflight with 350 grains up front for a total of 650 or so grains.

awbowman - I've used acrylic yarn for years and never had any problem in the rain. It really doesn't absorb anything. Cotton might be another story though!

Love the discussion. It helps cure the elk itch, at least slightly.

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
I used the EXO 3500 last year and it worked perfect for a six day hunt. Going to add some accessories this year but was very satisfied with its performance.

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Funny how everybody is different. I had the Kuiu ultra and it just did not fit my body at all. It actually hurt to pack 40lbs. Sold it and got a stone glacier sky 5100 and absolutely love it. Pays to try as many as you can and see what your body likes. Some for boots.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
PP...  Strongly disagree with you on footwear choice....  Side hilling and walking in broken OFF TRAIL terrain is much more exhausting without a stiff support in you footwear.  Rigid support lets you use your large leg muscles versus the small muscles of your foot and ankle.
I have done both.  Sure on a packed trail light shoes are fine.  In fact they are great and I do it all of the time.  But for deadfall,serious northslopes, steep tallus (ie where the elk live) or any other tough terrain good boots will far outpace them.  

If tenni-runners were the right choice, our military would be using them for combat.  

To each their own.. but I would hate to see him lead someone else estray.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
Hey, whatever works for you. I've hiked and packed meat extensively in both, and can cover more ground and be more agile and nimble by far in the minimalist shoes, along with having more ankle stability and no longer worrying about rolling them. But then again not many others share my hatred for Goretex, either, so I'm sure I'm in the minority on this as well!

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
As a brief pack update, I thought I could go with the KUIU Icon Pro pack so I sold my Stone Glacier to free up the funds. I was wrong. I packed more weight on the KUIU since then and hated the waist belt and lumber pad. So I got back on the Rokslide classifieds and bought another Stone Glacier, for right about what I paid for my old one. It is such a superior pack than the KUIU - which I can no longer endorse for heavy loads (50+).

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »

...My pack, before food and water, weighs right at 15 lbs. Add 1.5 lbs of food per day and an average of 1 liter of water = 23 lbs for a 4-day jaunt. My additional carried weight, including my bow, the clothes on my back and boots on my feet, adds another 5 lbs for a grand total of 28 pounds added to my naked body.

You're welcome for the image.

What does your list look like? [/QB]
Your weights are almost exactly what mine are for a bivy hunt same duration. I use a sill tarp, no ground cloth, but make up for the weight savings with my slightly heavy svea 123. I love that stove. Why do you carry keys and cash? I never carry keys. Whats the point? You can't use them until you or someone are at the vehicle. I  hide them on my truck. Same with cash etc. I only take ID and tags.
Neat thread and thanks for getting it started.

Joshua
N
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
PP - good feedback on the Kuiu pack.  I was talking to some local guys that have Kuiu and Kifaru.  Hope to look/try each this weekend.  Also, the EXO stuff looks good too.  I've kinda strayed from the MR stuff unless I come across a killer deal.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
Scott - that's the way to do it; try all you can before you buy. (Or in my case, buy used and try, then sell). I've heard great things about the EXO as well. And there are budget options, like the ILBE military surplus on **** for under $100.

Thanks for the feedback, Joshua. I take cash in case I need to persuade somebody I meet in the backcountry to pack my meat with their horses! And if I need a ride back to my truck as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©