3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Mag Takedown  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Neely1911

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Mag Takedown
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
First time poster...so be gentle!

I just acquired a Bear Magnesium Takedown that I plan to have sand blasted and then either powder coated or painted. (Opinions welcomed!)

I want to fully disassemble the riser but am not sure how to get the little rubber limb pads out.  I don't want to destroy them and was hoping someone had removed them before and could give me advice.

Thanks in advance.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Mag Takedown
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
Small flathead screwdriver....they'll pop right out.

I had a local gunsmith cerakote a couple Bear mag risers I had and was very happy with it.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
Welcome, i would love a Mag riser Bear.  Anyway I think if it were me I would spray paint it. That way if it got scratched or chipped you could always fix it yourself, change colors or camo it.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
I left them in and covered them with masking tape when I refinished my mag risers. Really no need to take them out.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
I have sand blasted several of them at home and painted and they came out great. The last one I used a spray on stripper and it was so easy I would never sand blast again. The spray got in all the nicks and crannies so well. Don't be stand offish on removing all the hardware by doing so the job is much easier. I agree with MCNSC if you scratch or ding it it's real easy to repaint , but I haven't had any trouble with Paint and it's very economical.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
This is the Stripper and a textured paint I used on the last one. The textured paint gave a very nice finish on the mag riser.                                                                    

Offline Neely1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
ksbowman,
Thanks for the tip on the stripper, did you prime the bow with anything?

If I paint I had already decided on the Rustoleum Multi-colored textured paint in tan color....it has a little grit in it.  Ive seen a few take downs painted with it and they looked really nice.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »
A word of caution. Use something like walnut shells to sandblast. Mag is used to make fire starters.

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
I'm in the middle of a Mag resto myself. The old flocking was removed in a glass bead cabinet. All prepped for paint just waiting for consistent warm weather. Good luck with yours and show us when it's finished. Tony Z

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
Neely, No I didn't prime but I put on 2 coats of the Rustoleum. It is a very tough paint. The riser is right behind the cans.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
I am working on restoring one right now. I have done several in the past. This time I am thinking of using truck bed spray. That stuff is very tough.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
Joe, I have an old B that someone put undercoat or bed liner on and even got it on the grip. I like it too and it gives a great non slip grip. I like it so well that I have never refinished it. None of these finishes are for eternity so if a guy doesn't like it, just do it over. One of the great things of a mag riser!

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 06:30:00 AM »
In the decision making process of restoring one I just picked up a week or so ago. Know a guy that does CeraKote treatments. Anyone have experience with that stuff?

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Cerakote is a great finish for the mag risers.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Great tip on the spray on striper Ben.  I've got an A Mag riser that I plan to redo once turkey season is over.  Still undecided on paint out  creative for a new finish.  But I love this bow!  

Now I'd like to find a wood A riser as well.  As much as I'd love one, I can't justify the price of one of the early one.  BUt really like the looks of the newer ones as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Whip, I started on the Mag risers a couple years ago and unfortunately I can't get enough of them. I like the A's off the shelf and the B's off an elevated rest. I've since tried the wood A's ( too small a sight window for me) and the Wood B I like, but still like the Mags best.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
I just finished an A mag about a month ago, took everything off but the limb bumpers , I sandblasted mine , primed, painted with olive green then used textured Rustolem then finally sprayed with Thunderbird mist coated. Like Ben I really like the Mag handles.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
I have a C riser work in progress. I may try that stripper idea as well. My B was refinished using automotive paint and clear finish. My son had a car painter guy on retainer threw work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©