3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunt confirmed!!  (Read 538 times)

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk hunt confirmed!!
« on: March 23, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Well it's set. I'm going on a DIY, backpacking, elk hunting trip in September. I'll be going to Colorado. I'll be going solo. I'm going to unit 71 for 15 days (if needed). I'm going to be "boots on the ground" from September 10th through the 24th. This is my first elk hunt but not my first solo adventure. My hunt prep started a month ago. Any advice from some of you seasoned guys would be greatly appreciated. Any trailhead advice or other info for unit 71 is also appreciated. THANKS!!
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunt confirmed!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
I can't offer any advice but I can tell you I am jealous! Hunt hard shoot straight and enjoy every second of it.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
I'm with J-dog, can't offer anything but congratulations. That's a dream hunt for many guys, myself included.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
I went on my first last year. Had a great time. I didn't hit that unit, but learned a lot about hunting there. PM me if you have questions. Biggest thing is getting in shape and having a plan for when or if you kill one to get the meat out.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
Rolla, Missouri elevation 1,122 ft and Elevation of Lizard Head Wilderness area / unit 71 is between 10,250 and 12,000+ ft (from the internet).

Unit 71 looks like Gorgeous Country.

I live at 3200 ft and hike often to 5,6 and 7,000 ft. I have noticed the difference at 8,000 and 10,000 ft the few times i have been at that elevation.
 Do what you can to get physically ready.  That is alot of difference in elevation, something to think about.
It looks like beautiful country and the trip should be fun. You'll have a few more red blood cells at the end of it.  Get Ready, Keep moving.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Congrats on the decision.   Good luck and take lots of pictures to share!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
Don't wait for something bigger if you get a shot offered, whatever is legal! Can't stress that enough especially hunting by yourself! We try to draw a unit that doesn't have antler minimums for that reason. Every year if I was using a gunbow, I could probably shoot an elk every year, to get a trad bow opportunity happens maybe once a season for me. The meat is incredible and is worth finishing early, plus by yourself a cow elk is enough to pack out especially for a flatlander! Get in as good of shape as you can! There are some excellent podcasts hosted by Brian Call AKA grittybowmen. Pick and choose from them, not all are applicable. Feel free to PM me particular questions, I'm really good at hunting elk but just not real good at killing them. If you are passing through Denver, make sure to time it around two things, Rush Hour, avoid that and rmsgear's hours 10-6 Mon-Thur and 10-7 Friday and Saturday, don't miss stopping there!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
I hunted afew days in 74 last November.  Lots of up and down.  I was right up against the peaks that separate 74 and 71.  The ground turned slick as snot with just a few inches of wet snow.

Tell us a story and show some pics when you get home.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
<--- Jealous
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
It's been said already but congratulations! That is my ultimate dream hunt right there! Good luck, and if you haven't already done so, start hiking with heavy gear to get your endurance up to par

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Please don't take this as a negative, but if this is your first hunt at that altitude, I'd seriously think about doing this with at least one other hunter.  Lots of difference in Alabama and Colorado.  There is NO amount of exercise that can prepare you to solo pack an elk out above 10,000' when you live at less than 1,500'.

LOTS of exercise helps, but only being at that altitude for months will really get you acclimated.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
You'll love it! My best advice is that if you're hunting solo, please have a plan for help getting meat out. It's way too easy to get too far back and kill an elk, and I wouldn't want to get one out by myself further than about 3 miles under ideal conditions.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
Best of luck to you!  Have to say I am jealous!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradhunterRN:
It's been said already but congratulations! That is my ultimate dream hunt right there! Good luck, and if you haven't already done so, start hiking with heavy gear to get your endurance up to par
But don't start out heavy, gradually increase, try to get a couple hikes in the ozarks if you can swing it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
Carl...If you're interested I can give you the number to 2 different packers in that unit.  If you are lucky enough to kill an elk they'll pack it out for $300 - $350.   It will open up many more places for you to hunt solo and still be able to get one out.  It might sound expensive reading it on your computer but by about the 3rd load out on your back it starts sounding a lot cheaper!

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
Carl...If you're interested I can give you the number to 2 different packers in that unit.  If you are lucky enough to kill an elk they'll pack it out for $300 - $350.   It will open up many more places for you to hunt solo and still be able to get one out.  It might sound expensive reading it on your computer but by about the 3rd load out on your back it starts sounding a lot cheaper!
That's real cheap when compared to this!
That's the miles I put packing my elk out last season.....

Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of packing Basinboy!
CJ

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
DarkTimber,    :laughing:   You're so right!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
I've never used a packer.  An important consideration is weather and timing.  If the weather is warm and your packer can't come immediately, then you have a problem.

One healthy hunter can probably pack the meat out before your packer gets to the kill site.  A lot depends on distance, but only you know what you can do.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline jleidy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 02:26:00 AM »
Great advice from Old Goat.
I will add, learn how to use a good cow call. Try to avoid the squeak toys if possible. They all sound the same... every squeeze...
You can get many different sounds out of a good diaphragm and some practice.
They should be bugling their heads off at that time.
Have a blast!
j
Northern Mist Classic 68" 65#
Northern Mist Baraga 62" 51#
Maddog Prairie Predator 63"  40#
Shawnee Traditions Spirit Flatbow 62" 64#
1965 Bear Kodiak 60" 53#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©