3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: solid color clothing  (Read 898 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
solid color clothing
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
If you dressed in solid color clothing for whitetails,what color jacket and pants would you wear? Would you use a different combo on the ground and in a tree?

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: solid color clothing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
All I know is when a Deer stands motionless in a woods it disappears ,but in a HUNTING senario I wouldn't trust walking or stalking in solid brown , my solid color pick would be OLIVE.
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
I've frequently worn a pair of dark green BDU pants and a dull plaid print jacket with a lot of green and brown while ground hunting in a natural blind. It's all about movement in my experience. If you are sitting very still deer will walk all around you and be unaware. It can be difficult to draw unless you have some good cover though.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
All that matter is that you're still and not wearing blue. There has been a lot of scientific research on this out of the University of Georgia, as well as my own experiences in solids including white tee shirts. You'd be amazed what you can get away with if you're still, and you'll cuss all the money you wasted on camo. Except for turkeys!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
I kill turkeys from the ground dressed like this.

Deer like this.

I don't by into the blue theory either, killed lots of deer bucks and does wearing blue jeans when I was younger, shooting blue and white arrows you name it. IMHO Movement like said is what gets you and I rarely where a headnet unless it's cold and windy.

8yd shot

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
I like greens, greys, and blues.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 05:22:00 AM »
Just think of all those poor African professional hunters who stumble around in khaki and OD clothes with no camo in sight.  I don't know how they make a living without it.  They also don't seem too concerned with what their clients show up wearing, or their trackers, who wear everything you can imagine.
I agree that being STILL is the best camo.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
You can wear blaze orange and probably white if you want.

I dont think there is a best color.

as others have said movement will do you in far before your clothes.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
I was sitting in my treestand during this last deer season just concentrating on the woods around me and was struck by how dominant the color grey is. Even the deer turn from reddish brown to gray as the season progresses. I would say grey would be my choice and in wool.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
I prefer tan, green, grey, and brown, preferably in softer shades if wearing solids. As a practice, I most commonly wear either camo or plaid.
Sam

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
I love my gray Asbell Wool pullover.  I usually wear it with OD pants.  Even hunters in my club have a hard time seeing me!

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
What K.S. Trapper said.  

Grey wool is my favorite though.

Offline Black Hills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Same song and dance for me as others have posted already...

When it comes to critters - whitetail in particular, color is kind of a moot point, so long as you stay still.  Movement is the number one culprit in getting busted.  Wind is the number two culprit.  Unnatural noises are number three - like corduroy pants, all kinds of jingly crap hanging loose, metal on metal, etc...

Color is somewhere after those, IMO.  FWIW, I still like good, ol' wool (especially in plaid patterns) too!

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
I have heard this solid don't move theory alot and personally feel..why? if you can wear a pattern that breaks up your shape..why not do that...I have hunted on the ground alot and up in trees..my ground hunting is always done in plaid or camo..why ? It makes a difference....A deer will look at a solid object and decide if it is safe...some camo and plaid they don't give you a second look sometimes...movement will bust you no matter what..but why wear solid when you hunt with traditional gear and want to be close when it handicaps you? Yes I know alot of people kill deer wearing solid...but you don't hear about the deer that bust them or the deer they don't even see because they busted you from far away...Do your self a favor and have two friends stand in the trees or on the edge. One in solid colors and another in camo that matches the surroundings..walk back one hundred yards or even 50 and look...enough said...the solid guy sticks out like a sore thumb..his head and shoulders clearly visible...deer see in shades and can pick solid out like us..they just don't know its human SOMETIMES....yes sometimes..but they also bust you sometimes even without movement...

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
no offence Rob w.. but you stick out like a sore thumb in these pics...but you were successful..can't argue that....congratz...

Earth tones like green and grey are seen in the outdoors but you are solid in both pics and a deer will look at you long if you are close to him and a solid large object..One of my friends hunts in solids and gets game but I guarantee he gets busted more than he knows...

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I have had deer as close as 5 yards many times to me on the ground wearing good patterned colors..you would not get a deer that close in solid colors very often unless the set up is perfect ....unless you are hidden by shadows or rocks etc.....solid colors can work for sure but you need the right background..camo gives you more options..but as everyone said here there are other factors too...but why hinder yourself ????

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
I've studied this a bit with a camera and Asbell wool.....If I could only choose one color it would be grey wool.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
Here is a video of one I passed on the ground, just sitting next to a tree in solid colors. He walked because I had already shot his daddy with the same setup at 8 yrds.

http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/rjwalton8/media/20131027_102844.mp4.html  

I go back and forth from plaids to camo to solids and every combo in between. It's not something that I give much thought anymore. I can remember when I would worry about having to wear hunters orange in gun season as well. These days it doesn't cross my mind.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
I always wear a cheap or self maid leafy suite, even when you move in it it can look like the wind is moving it,heck you can hunt in your underwear if you want, but I have better luck in my leafy suites.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
I hunted an area that was open to gun and bow,had to wear 50% above the waist blaze orange,I bleat called a doe from 70 yards away she was looking at me the whole time to within 6 feet,never could get a shot as soon as i went to draw even when she was facing away she bolted,I think I might have had a better chance in my leafy suite it would have concealed the little bit of movement better, also the snow was 2 feet deep,orange and white really clash.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©