3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Expected Lifespan of 1 Dozen Arrows  (Read 1231 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Expected Lifespan of 1 Dozen Arrows
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Subjectivity shouldn't be used a pejorative term. I disagree that this thread is "tooo subjective".  Every time a question is asked to a broad range of people that requires and individual response will yield subjective results by nature and definition.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
I too have some difficulty understanding this thread.  Stumping arrows don't last as long as broadhead arrows.  3D arrows may last several years on some ranges and may not last the weekend on others.  And how do you intend to relate the type of bow involved?  The factor that probably is most important is the person shooting the arrow out of the bow.  Not trying to be argumentative, just don't understand where you are heading.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
My purpose for starting this thread was to gather data to see if there is a correlation between custom bow owners and carefulness.  I recently spoke to someone who make a flat out ridicules comment "I never would buy a used factory bow because people buy factory bows don't take care of their things".  Very ignorant.

The only answers that would have been examined were origin of the bow (factory vs custom) and how long 1 dozen arrows last (a measurement of care of archery equipment).  The other questions were distractions to hide my actual intent and prevent any research bias.

I figured there is not a difference between factory custom bow owners.  I am going to conduct a dependent t-test on IBM SPSS to analyze the data.  Thanks for participating.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Ground squirrel arrows maybe four times out broad heads maybe half a year. But I hunt every weekend And a lot of time I go once or twice after work. I go through about a hundred arrows a year.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
Well, I hunt a lot and I go through them the quickest during hunting season. I normally go through a couple dozen each year with breaks and losses on small and large game and occasional missed target...OK maybe more than occasional   :dunno:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
OK, I'm going to respond a second time but relate it to only one set of arrows.  I consider a set done for when it's down to four arrows.

Mine are woodies hand made sometimes from purchased shafts and sometimes from from handmade shafts.  I m on four years and they are still a "set" because there are five left.

Mostly shot in the back yard and quite often small game hunting which always involves some stumping.

Shot mainly from:

44# 66" ASL glass lam, my build
43# 68" ASL glass lam, my build
38# 68" ASL Glass lam, my build
44# 56" vintage DH Cavalier static recurve.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
"Arrows are expendable ammo" at least that is what my philosophy is. I try not to get attached to any. I have made some dozens I sold rather than use because they turned out so well. But I did vote for over a year.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
I squirrel hunt   :(   .

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 07:34:00 AM »
wood arrows about one year, Carbon arrows 3-5 years.

The Custom bow or Manufactured bow has absolutely nothing to do with how long my arrows last.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Around a year, PSE Talon 58", 54lbs @31", 14 strand d97 string, easton 2117 with 125 grain heads or gold tip hunter 75/95s full length with 190 grain heads. Either one last about the same. Lose more than I break.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
Started Trad last year with a Montana Long bow, and a 12 2018 aluminum shafts.  Still had 12 until rabbit season started.  Shooting through sage brush, misses, and rocks claimed 7.  Still have 5 left.  Switched to Gold Tip Trads with footing.  Still have 12, but rabbit season is 6 months away.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Side note.  My wife is always giving me crap about buying more archery stuff (especially arrows).  Took her out shooting the 9 MM and M-14, she could not believe the price of ammo.  One of the reasons I have changed into more archery based hunting.  Arrows are cheap in comparison.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
My purpose for starting this thread was to gather data to see if there is a correlation between custom bow owners and carefulness.  I recently spoke to someone who make a flat out ridicules comment "I never would buy a used factory bow because people buy factory bows don't take care of their things".  Very ignorant.

The only answers that would have been examined were origin of the bow (factory vs custom) and how long 1 dozen arrows last (a measurement of care of archery equipment).  The other questions were distractions to hide my actual intent and prevent any research bias.

I figured there is not a difference between factory custom bow owners.  I am going to conduct a dependent t-test on IBM SPSS to analyze the data.  Thanks for participating.
I would think how long a particular shooters arrows last is directly related to how well said shooter can shoot, and not a whole lot more!

And btw, I do agree that the other guys statement about factory bow owners is completely rediculous!

Bisch

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
4-6 year's.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
I started shooting trad in 2006.  Bought a dozen CE Heritage 150's.  I've bought many, many more arrows since then, but I still have more than half of those original ones.
Carbon is unbelievably durable.  Its one of the things that draws me most to it for arrows.
I still shoot aluminum in my K-Mag just because...LOL
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
I would think how long a particular shooters arrows last is directly related to how well said shooter can shoot, and not a whole lot more!
Another big element is how often does the archer shoot?

A dozen of anything can last a very long time if they are never hunted with and not shot very often.  Indoor shooter or outdoor shooter?

One day of bunny hunting in snow covered sagebrush can cost me five or six arroes easily
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I like to shoot at stumps and squirrels enough that it seems like once-a-year I'm in need of more arrows.

That said, this dozen has been lasting pretty well.  I've lost one inside the hay bale I use for a target, but I'll recover it soon!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
6 months here,wood and stumps.56# Wild Horse Creek Kestrel with Astro string.550 grain Surewood
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
Also, the largest factor for me is my friends Breaking my arrows in the targets.

I lose 3 or 4 arrows every year because my friends shoot my arrows in half.  I need to aim for a different spot on the 3D targets.  Of course I return the favor from time to time.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
I'll end up with most of a dozen after a year. I don't shoot into hard things (on purpose).

All my bows are 50@28
Hunting arrows in the .500 spine and I use .600's for 3-D spring and summer.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©