3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree sharks  (Read 1222 times)

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
tree sharks
« on: March 26, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
Hi fellow bowhunters. I have been thinking of tryins those big simmons heads.I have been chasing hogs a good bit latley. Have had good sucess with the tiger sharks and also the big magnus 1. A good hit and they are down. I just want to see what the big boy can do.Any feed back or pics would be appreciated. I get plenty of pass through so not afraid to try a bigger head.   :rolleyes:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree sharks
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
Steve I have used the Tree Shark with alternate luck. I killed 11 Wild Boar and nobody made more than 40 yards but never had a pass through maybe because I look for a quartering away shots and the arrow usually stops on the far shoulder.
But I have lost 4-5 Big boys hitting bones in maybe too angled shots with very low penetration maybe just the broadhead or less. With no blood trail. Bows 57# @ 29" and 620 grains arrows.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
There was a long thread here a while back, maybe a year or two. Tons of very impressive photos.
Should be able to find it in a search with a little patience.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
A stone is my favorite method of sharpening and I'm not certain the concave design would lend itself to this. I'm sure with a sharp one you wont be disappointed.

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
thanks cacciatore. It does have and amazing width. I guess it may be more suitable for deer. I shoot 67lbs at 30" with 670 grain arrow.Unless i hit opposite leg bone they seem to not stop.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
I have had good luck with recoveries but fewer exit holes. Opposite shoulder stops. Blood trails are usually good to great. I like Simmons steel it holds an edge well for me.  Last year I started going back to Ace and Tusker with good results. I really like the safari's when I shoot Simmons. 57#@28" recurve.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
Don't overlook Jim's, Centaur heads! He was a big fan of the Simmons heads!
When there was a lull in the offering, he started creating his!

I have the Big Game heads, double bevel, and they worked great on my groundhog, and buck last year!  Easy to sharpen with file, and diamond rod.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
I also have had great results using Tree Sharks. The only complaint is sharping them .  I need to find a better way. There is a video on you tube I believe.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Maybe you don't need an exit hole with a head that big !!

Offline TC209X50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
I too love Simmons heads and have recently discovered Lansky makes curved stones for their sharpening systems. You can get them incredibly sharp.
FYI
Dan
Jordan Stalker Recurves

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
Steve,
The best way for us to know is to go out there and try them!  ;)  

I may tune some of the tree sharks up and try them this week some time.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Simmons are great heads! For anyone though who is sharpening challenged they are some of the more difficult heads to sharpen due to the concave design. I use a chainsaw file and then a jewel stick to sharpen mine but if you really want to get them super sharp use the chainsaw file and then a polishing wheel to remove any burrs. Trust me you will cut yourself shaving with them then and not even know it!
James Kerr

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
Go to you tub and search sharpening Simmons with razors edge. You can get them scary sharp using this system. I have shot a bunch of deer over the years with Simmons

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
I have no problem sharpening simmons heads. I dont know how this thread went in that direction. For you guys that have tried them I think because of the size a pass through might be difficult. But if they make it across to the opposite rib the the massive cut should do the job. I dropped three hogs in sight this year. two were pass through. The one that did not died at my feet.But it sounds like they are deadly either way.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I bought a Simmons Sharpener when I bought my first pack of the heads.

When I took lessons from Rick Welch, he recommended Simmons and the sharpener.
Irv Eichorst

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Steve,

i think you'll be fine, brother.  Majority of the threads on here are in reference to them being hard to sharpen, so that is why it probably went that way.  With the heavy arrows you shoot, I don't think you'll have ANY problems.. other than hitting them!    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :laughing:    :laughing:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Simmons heads are just plain wicked,if it goes thru vitals you don't need a exit cause they will bleed no matter..all the deer Ive shot with them you could stick 3 fingers in entrance wound and if exited you could get 4 fingers in sideways.. they make a big mess most of the time in a good way.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
I have tried several different heads since 2005 and I consider myself to be above average when it comes to sharpening knives,broadheads ,chainsaws you name it. Ive got a lansky that I got for Christmas 28 years ago. Ive got the KME broadhead sharpener and a gaggle of other stones.i tried the curved stones from lansky, for ME the easiest way for me to sharpen sharks out of the pack is simple. Take a simple hardware store sharpener(Accu Sharp) run over each side decreasing pressure as you go and finally hit with a jewel stick. You will be surprised how easy it is!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
I sharpen them like  mec lineman sez. They cut wicked slices. A few years ago my hunting buddy Chris Spikes shot 5 or 6 deer with a 45lb @ 28 Bear takedown and 450 grain total arrow weight. He had pass thrus on all with two blade tree sharks. RC

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
I would just about guarantee that unless one hits a shoulder bone with a tree shark when hunting whitetails that just about any normal hunting weight bow and arrow combination should produce an exit wound.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©