3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey decoys?  (Read 526 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey decoys?
« on: March 26, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Anybody use Montana decoys for turkeys?Anyone use the Montana purrrfect hen?Thinking about trying these this spring.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Re: Turkey decoys?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
I have never tried those. I think the DSD or Avian X decoys are about the best out there, They are veeeery realistic looking!

Bisch

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
Avian X......    :thumbsup:

I have used the Montana decoys for Elk with some success, never tried the Turkey decoys.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Check out the purrfect hen on youtube...............
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
Montana Decoys had a booth set up at the Pre Spring Arrow fling in Alabama. . Their decoys look really nice. I wish now; I would have bought the hen decoy. They collapse so small they will almost fit inside a cargo pocket. They had a really good realistic look to them also.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
I usually use a stuffer jake, Primos hen, and a Montana hen.  I set the Primos on the ground, about 4 feet away from the jake, facing away from him.  I usually put the Montana decoy some where in the Back ground.  I have never had a tom come to the Montana decoy, but at the same time I have never seen one put much thought into the Primos.  They hate the thought of a jake breeding hens.  The Montana stays in the blind bag because it is so easy to pack!
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
I bought one last season, looks and works great. Shot 2 birds over it. Had a hen come in and get real pissed at it. She grabbed it by the back of the head and was twisting and pecking it. Had a bobcat and a coyote stalk it so it must look pretty good. I'm buying another and the jake for this season. Really like how they pack up. The texture of the "feathers" look more realistic to me than the avian x or the dsd

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
I have had good results with Avian X, last year my Jake got the snot beat out of it!
SWA Spyder

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
I bought two Montana hens and a Montana tom several years ago and never had much luck with them. However, people seem to have good luck holding the Montana tom in front of them while sneaking up on a bird. I would be leery of using this tactic on public land, though.

Darren

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Avians! Cant beat them. I saw the purrfect hen at the ATA, to be honest i didnt think it seamed realistic at all, looked to me like a childs stuffed toy. But thats just me maybe im too picky or biased. It definitely would be nice for mobility though.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
I was talking to a fellow this weekend. He and his son added real breast feathers to the body of his decoy by laying them up like roof shingles and using a hot glue gun to put the feathers on. He said it made all the difference in the world toward attracting turkeys to his decoy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
I think the avian decoys are very realistic, have used them for the last 4 years.
The only draw back I see is their air valves, that seem to always leak air . I have replaced valves several times. their customer service is good although I can no longer find a phone number for it any longer. I have added a dakota jake decoy and it is awesome and no leaky valves
---------Black Wolf68"57#@28
         Tall Tines60"52#@28

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Buy a DSD Jake and never buy another.  The Avian are nice but they are heavy and some have had trouble with the air coming out.
T ZZZZ

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Turks may check out cheaper types, but I have found it a different game to get them to hang around and be completely fooled.  These new Avian, DSD, Dakota really are a new world IMO and in my experience. Shame they cost so much. But. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
Dave Smith or Best turkey decoy. I tried for years and years to decoy them in with the cheap ones you can buy anywhere. I was always able to get them into shotgun range but not bow range. Now they come right in and fight my decoy. It's a great show and an easy shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©