3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you fear public hunting areas?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you fear public hunting areas?
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
I want to try HUNTING on a local public area in mid to late Oct ,but not knowing where others may be or how well they are safety wise ,I thought the safe way to travel way in the back country would be lotsa blaze orange ,do you public ground bowhunters have any recommendations?
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you fear public hunting areas?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Not really.. All I hunt is public land. I wear orange if it's required but don't worry much about getting shot by accident.. I know it could/does happen but it's never bothered me too much..BeauJ

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
I hunt both public and private.  The public land I hunt I gain access to over private land (a friend's house) that puts me in a spot on the public land that is well away from public access.  It is essentially way back in with out having to hoof it so far.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
All I hunt is public. Never had an issue. I don't rifle hunt public land though. Just bow.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
All I hunt is public land, things don't get shady until the guns come out then I'm covered in blaze orange.
I have had plenty of success on public land and wouldn't tell any one to be scared of it. Expect to run into some people who don't have hunters etiquette and will walk in late, maybe setup close to you and so forth if it bothers you move everyone hunts different. I will say I had a guy set up and climb a tree 35 yards from me one day, I wasn't to pleased but killed a doe that evening and he watched the whole thing hahaha.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
I hunt mostly public land. Never an issue and less pressure than some of the leases I have been on. RC

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
I usually don't bow hunt during the either sex gun hunts. That's when the masses of orange are out.
I prefer hunting public land since I can't sit in the same spot more than twice so I need lots of area to hunt  
I live near a 28,000 acre wma so I have plenty room to roam
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Nope.  Don't worry about it at all.  Reasonably concerned during  two -three weeks in  November because of rifle hunters but that is all.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
I hunt public land a little bit here in East Texas. My days off are Sunday and Monday. On Mondays it seems like there's nobody else in the woods after the weekend is over. I always wear orange because it's required. If it wasn't I wouldn't bother during bow season.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Even though it's been a long time since I have hunted on public land I would not be concerned during archery season.  Gun season - pass.
SWA Spyder

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
I'm far more likely to get shot at work, public land doesn't bother me a bit.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
With Oklahoma's recent legalization of crossbows I have started to change my actions during bow season on public land.
1: I always wear blaze orange, normally just a hat
2: I always use a flashlight at night or in low light conditions
3: when I'm walking out of an area I whistle, in I just stay quiet

I personally think blaze orange in some form should be a legal requirement because of cross bows

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
Agreed with the above comments! I only fear not being able to bag game on the public land near me!    :p  

On a side note Hickry, if you live near me you should PM me! Need more local trad hunters!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
Missouri recently added crossbow to all archery seasons.

In the past never had a concern. But I've seen some,sloppy safety practices from cross bow shooters.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
So, why do these crossbows keep getting allowed year after year in an increasing number of states?!

It's just allowing the orange army out into the woods more frequently!

I am ok with the concept of crossbows for those who are physically limited, but come on!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
I used to hunt public land a lot. Quite honestly, I found that if you got beyond 400 to 500 yards from the road, you ran into relatively few people.
Sam

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
I hunt quite a bit of public land, and I've never worried about someone shooting me.  

Like others have said, I only bow hunt public land.  

I wear orange on my way to the stand during muzzle-loader season.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
Many years ago in total darkness as I neared the parking area, I heard a compound squeak.  I yelled and got a growning 'oh no' from the trees that were about 80 yards away.  A knucklehead drew at me over an hour past sundown.   Since then, I am pretty sure that knucklehead's life has not been the same, I got very angry and I think he wet his pants, he dropped his bow and was shaking so bad that he could barely get out of the tree stand, pleading for his life the whole time.   He feared the circumstances either way. whether he would have hit me  or missed me.  I do not make a move in low light conditions without a light since then.   The biggest problem on our smaller and scarce public areas is hunters filling them up with unused tree stands and cameras, at the same time thinking that those areas are theirs alone whether they are there or not.  Some guys are putting up way too many tree stands.  I have lost track of how often someone has told me that they caught me on a trail cam and came to tell me that no one could hunt there because they claimed it.  That is not how the law reads at all in Iowa, all tree stands are on a first come first basis whether it is the owner or not.  I am pushing for  leave no trace hunting.  When you go home all of your stuff goes home with you.
   I do have concerns at times with the muzzle seasons,  as example, last fall I called in a little fork yearling.  I did not want to shoot it, I just wanted to talk to him.  When the little guy was about twenty feet from a muzzle went off.  a little girl with the youth season shot at it from well over a hundred yards away.  She grazed it. but did not kill it. I saw it later in the season.    I have seen the inline muzzle guys take 300 yard plus shots at deer in fields.   They are not same hunters that were using the cap and ball guns with the late season years ago.  The original cap and ball hunters were the safest gun hunters in the area and the most courteous.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
I only hunt public land a in Michigan and have never had any major problems. It is getting more crowded by me since the introduction of Apr's Now I have to get creative ,like using a canoe or going farther back in the nasty stuff. I don't hunt in the lower during gun season ,I head to the Western Yoop were it's quiet.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 03:40:00 PM »
I don't have any problems doing it, it sucks sometimes when people blow your set, but sometimes they push animals to you too!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©