3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you fear public hunting areas?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you fear public hunting areas?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
The crossbows mean more money, and that's all the states' wants, ethics don't apply. As far public hunting, archery season not much worry, orange in orange out. Gun seasons not me.
I'm also lucky enough to own my own little slice heaven but I don't always stay at home
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
All I hunt is public land. Just wear orange or whatever your law requires during gun season. Then if it is your time? Well??? It's your time.

Here no orange during bow, only rifle.

I had a friend draw on me once, edge of last shooting light. I never used all white fletchings again. If I hadn't said something he would have let fly! lOL whatever
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
I hunt 4 smaller tracts routinely. All under 2,000 acres. I have found a similar experience with some hunters here. That getting more than a few hundred yards from the trail will get you away from most crowds. I have something of an issue with the permanent stands about mostly because they are usually on the best trees and that ruins it for my climber. Although I will sometimes hunt from this stands anyway. I also ground hunt a lot.

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
All I hunt is public land.  Plenty of it around here.  I doubt it is the same for you folks to the east.

Tom

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Not afraid...but I do have concern as for the deer getting spooked from too aggressive of hunters, or amount of pressure. Finding unspoiled deer is the key to consistent success. Afraid though? Not at all.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
I am not so worried bow hunting, even with the crossbows, although I make it a point to use a flashlight going out.  I hunt from the ground more and more, and I leave when the buzzer goes off, so I am usually the first one out.  I use the flash so I am not mistaken for a deer a few minutes after hours.

Gun season in WI on public land is pretty safe in terms of getting shot, but not so much in terms of getting worried or downright scared.  It is just too crowded and the whole drives and shooting at running deer thing is not my cup of tea.
ChuckC

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
It's a good idea to wear some blaze if you are out there when the gun guys are out there. Even if it's just a hat.

I've been hunting public land for years and I've definitely seen some knuckleheads out there from time to time but I don't really worry about it too often. I like to get deeper in than most of them and I don't see too many hunters back there.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
I bowhunt during the gun season for Deer. Not much choice here. It is a general season, either sex for Oct. and Nov.

Ya I get nervous. I go in before light and always use a flashlight even if it is not needed. Same thing at dusk, I come out well after shooting light and use a light. When I move during daylight I put an orange vest on.

BTW Orange is not required in Id.

Offline Ron Haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
90% of my hunting is on public land.  I have not had an issue.  In the last few years I have only hunting archery, trad and compound.  I wear an orange hat to and from the stand during any gun season.  Then just keep it handy when in the stand if I see orange in the distance.  I just give a pleasant wave of the orange hat, and have yet to have any issues.
Ron

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
I hunt mostly public land now due to growing posting and landowner permission restrictions.  Being a low-income state our public land is somewhat undermanaged and it's not uncommon to find illegal treestands, chairs, car parts, milkjugs, patio furniture even well off the main roads..sort of a redneck rodeo.  Public hunting areas have potential but often aren't harvested enough to provide optimal habitat, reducing overall quality.  Deer numbers, hunting tradition and accessibility is generally on the decline while license fees and antihunting sentiment is on the rise.  On private land I used to see deer on most trips out and took one fairly regularly (only one per year is allowed in most areas).  On public land last year I saw one small deer in roughly six weeks of hunting.

Safety issues on public land are mostly controllable by the hunter.  Viability issues..i.e., the likelihood of having and enjoying a memorable hunt...is of far greater concern.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
I hunt public lands a lot. I only avoid opening weekend of modern gun season
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
I hunt Ohio public land the majority of the time. Never had any issues. Don't wear orange unless I have to. I get in as deep as I can and that helps distance you from the majority of the crowd.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Going in at dark and coming out in dark is your safest bet. Like others I dont feel too threatened. I drive to work 45 min. one way with tons of idiots on Facebook driving right next to me. Stupid cant be fixed with hunters orange.   :banghead:

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Has anyone else noticed the amount of people "going way back in there, to get away from the crowd"? Makes you wonder just how many folks are doing the same thing. I really dont think people are stupid, or lazy,,,they want a deer just like the rest do. Think they wont go deep too? That's why Ive been opting to find overlooked areas, not necessarily far away areas. Some of my best public hunting spots are right next to the road.

Offline 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
I am a 100% public land hunter but the area I hunt only has a 2 week primative firearms season that I have just stayed home for the past 3-4 years. Prior to that I hunted and area surrounded by private land that was a 2.5 mile walk to get there and stayed in my tree from dark to dark and never saw another hunter back there the 6-7 years I hunted it.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
Has anyone else noticed the amount of people "going way back in there, to get away from the crowd"? Makes you wonder just how many folks are doing the same thing. I really dont think people are stupid, or lazy,,,they want a deer just like the rest do. Think they wont go deep too? That's why Ive been opting to find overlooked areas, not necessarily far away areas. Some of my best public hunting spots are right next to the road.
SSSHHHHH. Don't let the secret out.   :nono:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
yes but only during gun season, anymore I fear private land during gun season with so many trespassers.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
B. Wallace. That's actually more than a little true. I have had success (not always defined by a filled tag) in spots that are "out there" and some really close ones. 3 spots come to mind. Last year I killed a doe and had 3 turkeys almost walk on me about 75 yards from the parking lot on a small plot of land only 1000acres told. I also managed to still hunt withing hitting distance of a buck and several does on my favorite ridge. It's fairly far from the parking lot but totally encircled by a popular hiking and dog walking trail. Finally on the same small track as my ridge I took my daughter "hunting" 3 season ago. We set up between two fields separated by wood lots along a busy deer highway. So close to the road we could hear cars coming and going. She was only 6 then. We set up in little chairs her with her little fiberglass bow and I with my recurve. She wiggled and whispered loudly for ohh about an hour until she'd had enough so we decided to shoot stumps instead. We stood up and folded the chairs and suddenly there was a young doe running down the deer trail. I am not sure who was more surprised lol! We all froze. She ran off but, I still laugh every time I think about it. That place is neat area and very popular with hikers, photographers, dog walkers, and birders too. If you know where they tend to go you can learn where the deer go when these folks spook them.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
All I hunt is public land and have done very well on it.
I tend to focus on learning where others hunt and I use that to my advantage
I love Bow Hunting

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
I only have a couple public spots that I hunt. Neither one is over 150 yards from a county road. I drive all over the county working, and over time spent in the area I just picked up on spots that look good where I've never seen vehicles. This year another guy started parking at the same place as me at one spot, but hunted the other side of the road. He seemed like a nice guy and we talked a couple times at the trucks. After the first couple weeks he never came back though. The National Forest here has designated hunter's camps, and neither one of these spots are over a 1/4 mile from camps either!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©