3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cresting Wood Arrows  (Read 642 times)

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Cresting Wood Arrows
« on: March 27, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
Ordered a test kit from Surewood and started the process. Stained with minwax stain, put two coats of wipe on poly, put  a simple crest on (restore model paint), waited 24 hours and put another coat of poly on and the cresting streaked. Do I need to wait longer for the testors to harden/cure whatever it does.

I've read and it seems many like the wipe on poly, but could that have caused it? Is it worth looking at some other cresting paints?

Thanks

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cresting Wood Arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
That could be, thats why I've never tried wiping on OB poly over OB cresting paint. I always dip, the poly can soften the paint if they are the same base and it will smear.

You could use an acrylic cresting paint or get a small can of polycrylic and apply it over the cresting , then your wipe-on poly wont bother it.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
Rattle can a light coat over crest and let it dry then wipe on final coat.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »
Use the water base minwax poly comes in a teal can.  Goes on milky but dries clear.  I dip in a short 12" dip tube, can dip as soon as dry to touch.  The solvents in the regular poly will eat up your cresting.  Then use Duco to fletch.  Steve
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Surewood Steve:
Use the water base minwax poly comes in a teal can.  Goes on milky but dries clear.  I dip in a short 12" dip tube, can dip as soon as dry to touch.  The solvents in the regular poly will eat up your cresting.  Then use Duco to fletch.  Steve
Yep. Water based clearcoat over cresting and another poly dip after waterbased coat has dried thoroughly.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
All good advice up there since it looks like you're already committed with cresting complete.  use a water based sealer.

I use Testor's enamel and let it dry at least 24 hours before dipping in ProFin.  24 hours between coats...never had a problem.

If I use any kind of metallic flake like gold or silver, I'll give it an extra day before dipping.  Never had an issue with crest running.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
Have been making and cresting arrows for a long time and I don't put anything over my cresting and it lasts just fine.  Have crested with both testors model paints and fletchlac, depending on what I dipped with.

One time I tried putting clear coat over cresting and ended up the same as you.  Good advice in other posts if you do want to clear coat over cresting, but personally I've found it to not be necessary.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  Wood arrows are a blast!

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
It might not be right , but I crest over the finished poly

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
I cap with Krylon or Krylon Fusion and crest with water soluble Whispering Winds or model paints and let dry several hours. I use Minwax Wipe On poly to seal with no smearing or anything. I like to seal over the cap and crest for durability.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
I have never seen any cresting that didn't eventually develop wear.  Therefore, I always overcoat the cresting with a coat of clear water based poly.  It works great.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
My experience is if you wipe on poly over your cresting, I use Testors, it will run. Dip them.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©