3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunt Wild Things  (Read 1415 times)

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunt Wild Things
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
Having a perfect tree in a perfect spot was not in the cards.the tracks seemed to all filter in from the clear cut. The trail i wanted was either too far from one tree or cutting the wind very close to the other... After a brief debate with myself, i chose the closer shot gambling that the wind would hold. As i settled in , i enjoyed the atmosphere. Anyone that has never been down south , i would urge you to go. As red beastmaster wrote , this place has a quality that i find hard to put a finger on. Whatever quality it embodies , I  find myself drawn to coming back every year.  Maybe twice  a year even! As the sounds of the tree frogs and songbirds melted together, that magic time we all wait for  began. Distracted by the 3 or for toms that  gobbled  in the nearby  pines, I failed to notice the large black mass in the clearcut that had somehow appeared out of nowhere.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »
I hate commercial breaks! Always happens at an intense part in the program! Come on man!   :campfire:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
Sorry boys ! Had to throw another log on the fireplace. Going from shorts and flip flops to jackets and boots  is not fun. Anyway ,  the large black boar in the field  stood stone still for at least 5 minutes looking towards the ladder stand and feeder. He had obviously played this game before. It was at this point a smile grew on my face. This boar was keyed in on the wrong spot! I was 45 yards  farther down from him. Already i could hear myself telling the boys how my powerful  bowhunting intuition had once again proven fatal! As the boar waddled his way across the clearcut it was obvious he wanted  to use the wind  in his favor. During this time i was amazed at how similar a maine black bear hunt felt right about now. It all depended if he would take the right trail . After 10 more minutes of walking and testing the wind , he was now approaching the trail that would lead him to the feeder and a 12 yard  blind date with my arrow.. Standing up as he passed a tree i was in position,. Mental checklist , feet set... Bow arm straight .. Tension on the string.. Start to concentrate on that pocket.. Dont look at his horns..or  tusks  or whatever  it has. It was right about now i noticed the boar  snapped  to attention . He  stood still  again, then changed his course. The boar passed me  on my left at about  30 yards ,  nose to the ground .  All my mental powers screamed for him to walk back  , but he had found what he was looking for.. One  sniff of my scent trail was all it took. He beat feet and crossed the road into the row pines. I  saluted him and told him next time  he might not be so lucky.. Im sure somewhere  the gods of the hunt gave him a round of applause., he deserved it at any rate. Back to the drawing board for the next morning

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Classic game of cat and mouse with an old wise boar! I love it!! I hope you got another chance at him!

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Friday,

Friday had us scrambling. They were calling for 90-100% rain at 12. Steve Ray Glen and I went to the picnic area and headed to the right, Glen was going to the turkey foot. I stayed low and hunted the edge of the swamp heading west towards the property line. The other two went down the road towards the gumbo stand. I slowly moved in and started my stalk. The mosquitoes had been getting worse all week but now with the front moving in and the humidity on the rise they where absolutely horrendous. It was like some one was playing a violin and just ripping the bow across it right in my ear while drilling for oil on any exposed flesh. I stayed in the swamp for around an hour and luckily the swamp edge pushed my out to a 2 track only a couple of quarts where giving up in that time. I ended up walking up a little ways and saw a turkey take off. I could see the top of a feeder. I was hoping hogs scared it off. As I snuck up I was met with nothing but a grey squirrel eating corn. Though I thought to myself that the sign looked really fresh there. As I passed the stand site I saw a great trail with awesome tracks. I turned onto it and stalked up to the dove field. All of the sudden I hear someone yell HOG! I turn and wait but nothing happens. I walk back to the road and wait to see if someone pops out. Nothing so I ended up cruising down and looking through some chert piles. No heads were found. About 1030 the rain started and proceeded to get heavier and heavier. I headed back to the truck. Half way there I see Steve and Glen coming towards me. Steve proceeded to tell me his story.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
Like Matt said , with some large storm cells scheduled  to  hit us in the afternoon , the morning hunt was in jeopardy. Truth being told i have never been a fan of hunting in the rain . Just as I  was going to challenge myself to a sleeping contest, Ray gets in my ear with his patented " let me tell you something" storys. Ray went on to describe how one of the feeders was being crushed by a dozen large hogs. This group in question was composed of a huge 200pound shaggy red and black hog and his other  buddies , not one under 120 pounds. After ray told this story , in which he promised a shot  for one of us , i couldnt resist. Ray's story of a band of mutant , monster  hogs was met  with more than alittle skepticism  by all members. On the drive in , Ray  never quit  .  He was a believer. As we approached the feeder ,  i looked around and was in shock! The area around the feeder was destroyed!  It looked as if a bulldozer had hit it! Ray was excited to say the least. ray urged me to sit in the area, but i declined, this was his opportunity and i wasnt going to spoil it for him. As i left the feeder , my game plan came to me. A walk was in order ,  i always wanted to check one of the fields down the road for arrowheads , this seemed like a great time for that.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
As i walked down the road at a good pace , hogs took a back seat as i enjoyed  the sights and smells of the area. The weather seemed to be holding well with a mix of sun and clouds. It was shaping up to be a good day to take my bow for a hike.  Just as i entered a section of pines that bordered the swamp i heard it.. Pigs fighting! I put the brakes on and tried to get a direction. As i listened intently for conformation of what i heard , doubt set in. I began making excuses for my ears. It was at this moment i heard it again ! This time i had a bead on it!  They seemed to be right where the swamp borders the pines , about 200 yards away. My mind snapped right back into hunt mode. Should i sneak up on them? The wind was perfect .  As i glassed in that direction i had a problem. It was super thick with  brush for the next hundred yards , then i had to deal with the palmettos, chances of success not good. As i stood there trying to formulate a plan it came to me.  I took off sprinting down the road. My plan was unorthodox , but it might just work . 1/2 mile down the road came the main tool of my plan.it was called the gumbo stand and it was literally right off the road. A feeder stood on one side of the road accompanied be a 10 foot ladder stand on the other side.opening the feeder , i pushed the "test" button on the timer . A shower of corn and  gear noise was the result. Spinning around i scampered up the ladder and quickly got situated. I just clipped in my carbiner. When 150 yards out i saw them , hogs.. Big hogs ..charging through the knee high brush towards the feeder.. This was going to get serious really fast!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
I'm on the edge of my seat!!   :campfire:

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
This is the part that gets weird for me. We as hunters love a story, and embellishing is all part of it. Im sure the cave painters in  lascoux  even took liberties , right? As the hogs jockeyed for position at the feeder  i instantly recognized this group.. One huge , shaggy red and black hog followed by a dozen  others  , all over 120 pounds!. Ray had it wrong though!  The shaggy red and black hog had to weigh at least weigh 250 pounds ! It was a monster and  is the biggest boar i had ever seen in 4 years of hunting them on this property! Lesson learned , I immediately began forming my apology to ray about  the dangers of being a nonbeliever. I hate when that happens. The two monster sized hogs  stayed facing me as the rest darted in and around  jockeying for position. Worried that the wind might shift  at anytime , i singled out a nice 150  pounder. This boar stood perfectly broadside . With the last shot still fresh in my mind I beared down , told myself to slow down and picked a hair in the sweet spot. Time slowed down. For me at least , this feeling is usually a hallmark of a good shot. I pulled through my clicker , felt it pop and watched as  my axis shaft tipped with 225 grains of tuffhead infused mojo spun its  way to my target . I watched  as the shaft buried to the fletching  right were i wanted. Chaos erupted .the group busted out and headed for the swamp 150 yards away. I sat down and questioned if that just really happened. No mistakes this time. Give it  time , 30 minutes should do it.. As if  on Que, i heard it . It was loud enough to make me flinch, THUNDER.. The hunt gods were not  done testing me yet.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
This is great Guys.

With Glen in Camp, It must have been an awesome time.  he is by far one of the finest people I have met.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
That guy can shoot.... !

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by steve helstowski:
That guy can shoot.... !
He is a great shot... has to be, he puts his targets in front of a rock wall.

Ask him about the time I made a great shot behind his house....

I was able to richochet an arrow off his target, off the rock wall, off a tree and center punch a large Slug...  I be even ole' Ferguson couldn't do that one    :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Well.....?     :coffee:

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
The storm was definately heading my way. At this point i knew i was taking a risk with possibly bumping the hog. In less than 10 minutes , i was on the ground.  I found first blood about 10 yards from the site. Bright red with lots of bubbles , the trail had enough volume that i followed it at a fast walk. The thunder  was increasing in frequency and volume. Flashes of lightning  could be seen off in the distance. It was heading my way. Cursing my luck , i moved as fast as i could . With the trail as heavy as it was i expected to see a dead hog in front of me at any moment. The boar had made it to the edge of the treeline crossing a 30 yard section of ankle deep swamp. It started to rain .. Judging by the lightning , the storm was on top of me. I picked up blood on the other side of the water , a small palmetto filled island of sorts. If i could just get matt or anybody on the phone , i could finish this. Suddenly 40 yards out , i  picked up movement . A single pig  ,  slowly walked off the island , away from me deeper into the swamp.I entertained the idea of trying to get another arrow into it , but there was no way. Reaffirming what i thought all along , i backed out directly away from  it.  The rain started to come down steady.  Clearing the swamp. I headed towards the road. I was  p-$$ed  off , frustrated ,.. all that stuff . Cursing my luck , i headed to the car. In a strange twist, matt was close enough to hear me., only a few hundred yards away from me and my predictament. Making it to the car , i gave Glen and Ray the news.. The rain had reached downpour status. It was miserable . Glen decided to head back with me . With ray waiting for matt at the car , we headed back into the storm.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Here is the blood trail before the rain hit.

“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
:coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
As Glen and I trudged through the rain with about 20 feet visibility, a thought ran through my mind. I literally meet glen less than two days ago, now without a second thought he followed me into the pouring rain. The crazy part is , I have experienced this same thing time after time in our Tradgang community. Call it camaraderie, brotherhood or whatever. It is a something i feel is missing in our society in this day and age. We ran into matt as we rounded a corner , he was brought up to speed with the current series of wayward events. As we approached the swamp the compasses came out and we grid search the area.. In a few hours this area was likely to be totally under water.

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
In the end ,our searches for that day and the next came up empty. . Dont get me wrong , i would love to have posted some awesome hero pics with the guys amid a thunderstorm.. Who wouldnt? I even felt alittle  beat up in the ego department .  It just wasnt  in the cards this week .  Still, amid all my debacles ,  an underlying theme can be found. In truth almost all the NY crew had ideas of canceling this trip. The original planner of this trip, wouldnt  have made this trip  with us. A sad truth of it is ,  he  will never make any of our trips again. The events  that led up to this will hang over many of us for the rest of our lives. Questions will remain unanswered , family members  will be missed, a tragedy on so many levels. I  came on this trip  unsure of what i might experience . I thought maybe we shouldnt  go. I realize now that we had to go.in order  for  us to heal , we need to press forward. To remember the good times , not the bad. In the end laughter , camaraderie and brotherhood is a bond that along with time ,will eventually heal all wounds. For this , i want to thank all the members of this trip  for providing this .  I hope all our paths will all cross again soon.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2016, 06:05:00 AM »
I was waiting for this story to end before I posted anything. I was the only one in camp to not see a hog. Deer,Turkeys,gators and snakes, but no pigs. I did on the other hand have a great time with some awesome people.
Ken and his son Doug from Jersey were a pleasure to have in camp, both gentleman. Steve and Matt hunt as hard as anyone I know and are die hard traditionalists. Both skilled archers for sure. And then there is Ray. To know him is to love him. (Except for his snoring). I came on this trip not really knowing anyone,and left having made six new friends.
Andrew is the epitome of a true southern gentleman. I never felt more at home at a hunting camp. The food,lodging and property were all superb. It was a very touching moment after our last meal when Andrew shared his thoughts on the tragic events that preceded our trip. I have been home only a week and already am thinking going back. Hopefully with the same crew.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©