3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tired of Hawaii Hunting Pics Yet? (Dream Hunt!)  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
Tired of Hawaii Hunting Pics Yet? (Dream Hunt!)
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
I didn't think so.
Here we go on an adventure!!

I had the privilege and blessing of hunting the Na Pali coast of Kauai for two days this past week.  The land and sea are absolutely spectacular. If you are physically capable of making this hike I highly recommend you do so. It is truly life changing.  

On Thursday I landed on Kauai, a beautiful 25 minute flight from Oahu, where I live. I promptly went to the DNR office and picked up my 3 day archery only Hog and Goat permit for that unit. The lady at the DNR was friendly and as excited as I was about the hunt! I left with a permit in hand and a giant smile on my face!

I went to get camping permits next, The office was just down the road. I am a resident so camping permits for the next 4 nights were free. (if you are out of state its $3 a night).  We camped at Anini beach on Thursday night. It POURED RAIN from 8 pm to 3 am with winds of 30-40 mph. The entire island went on flash flood warning. We were nice and dry in our tent, didn't sleep much though.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tired of Hawaii Hunting Pics Yet? (Dream Hunt!)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
The next day (Friday) was to be hunting day #1. It didn't happen. at the 2 mile mark on the Kalalau trail there is a stream crossing. The flash flood had turned it into a raging river! Trail closed. Time to practice shooting and enjoy some sun on the beach with my fiancée. We also took a drive to Waimea canyon. It is pretty dazzling! There are sections of it one can hunt, but not at this time of year. I went to sleep early Friday night. Tomorrow was going to be a big endeavor!

Aloha!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Saturday: The fun begins! The fiancée goes to a yoga retreat and I begin the hike.  The hike in

I hiked for a total of 17 miles on saturday (my watch keeps track). I spent my time exploring the trail (which has a lot of people on it) and various valleys and ridges.

Here are a couple pics of things I saw:   A waterfall in some steep country that seemed to be the boarder between the arid and dry goat country and the lush tropical jungle hog country.

Here is a black tail deer!  I have looked for these on every trip to Kauai and I finally found one. The season on them is not open, but I was able to stalk to within 15 yards just for practice, before she turned and bolted. look at the dead leaf on the bottom left of the photo go up about an inch and you will be on the deer's face.

I also saw 4 hogs, 2 piglets and two decent sows on saturday. Not close enough to shoot and in some terribly thick cover.  I found two herds of goats near sundown, and after counting my blessings and running out of fingers and toes to count on I came down from the ridge and walked the many miles back to camp...

I packed it in for the night at the mile 6 camp. There were lots of friendly people, but I avoided the large crowd for the most part and found my own little nook back in the woods a bit. I was the only one there hunting.  Easter Sunday was going to be the day!

Aloha!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
I prefer goat meat over pork. So does my Fiancee. They are also lighter packing and less covered in ticks. When I woke up I drank some coffee and made a game plan. I didn't want to shoot a monster billy because this is mostly a food hunt. I wanted a younger (easier to pack) animal that would be good eating size.  

Decision made. I headed back up trail at day break and after looking at some sign I cut up the valley and onto a ridge called. Kaaalahina ridge:

This ridge is roughly 9.2 miles in.

I found my herd of goats. I had two quivers with three arrows each one is a back quiver made of goat hide from a billy goat harvested last year, and the other a bow quiver. I just hunkered down in the grass and waited where I thought they would cross my path.

As the goats drew closer I counted 32 in the herd. As usual there were several medium to big billies and some nannies roughly 20 yards out. I let those pass as I had a very long pack back to the car.  I had several goats walk within a stones throw of me but still I sat. Waiting for one to stop broadside...

Fifteen minutes later I let an arrow fly at a small billy.

I got a complete pass through with good blood end to end.  Within about 30 yards the little guy was down.

I moved him to a grassy area where there was a bit better light for the pic. After snapping this shot my camera died (lesson learned, turn it off before putting it back in your pack!). I got him cleaned up and in a game bag. On the way back to camp I dipped the bag in a stream to cool the meat off.

Aloha!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
While waiting for the meat to cool and my heart rate to come down from the hike, another pack of goats walked up. I was just sitting there by the stream with no cover at all, my bow hanging in a tree and they walked 15 yards in front of me!  I waited until they left then grabbed by bow and put the meat in my pack. I walked around the corner and sure enough there they were. I picked out a nice billy with yellow horns and let another arrow fly inside of 10 yards.I watched my fletching disappear. He turned and looked at me as if nothing happened and I almost though I missed because he did not react at all. Then I noticed blood pouring down his side from just behind his shoulder... He slowly walked down hill about 30 feet and laid down peacefully and never woke up.

Camera was dead (Damn it!). I don't have pics of him, but I did get a scull cap for those interesting horns. I will post a pic of that on this thread later after it has cured up a bit in the sun and looks less gross.

It took me probably an hour to clean, skull cap and cool off the bigger billy. I refilled my filtered water bottle from the small water fall and went back to camp. I packed up and headed out with plenty of meat to take back to Oahu!

The hike out took almost twice as long as the hike in. It was less distance as I headed straight out with no exploring, but I was fatigued and had plenty of extra weight  that I was happy to be packing. I arrived back at the car around 6:30 pm. After numerous compliments and congrats from hikers my hunt was over... I had shot a grand total of 2 arrows. One was a blue arrow I assembled with a rib teck broad head, the other an easton trad only with a woodsman. I lost no arrows and had no injuries other than fatigue. It was a great day!

I got in the car, and my fiancee and I decided that we would get a hotel room for the last nigh. It was nice to sleep in a bed. I awoke at 4 am. and took apart my 55# Samick Sage, the only takedown I own (for now hehehe). I put my pretty blue arrows  in my goat skin quiver with my trad only arrows and hit the airport with my bags, a happy fiancee and a big cooler full of delicious!  I am typing this out on the plane. Reflecting on the beauty of the place I have just visited and the blessing of being able to hunt such marvelous land! It was truly a blessed Easter!

Mahalo for reading all of this!
One last view of the most beautiful place on earth!

Aloha!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Great story and amazing pics. I'm scared of heights I don't know if that would be the right hunt for me:)Congrats!

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
Very nice and congrats!!!!!!!!
That looks like a beautiful place to be.
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
that deer was kind of like playing "where's waldo". I cut my teeth hunting dall sheep in Alaska but I think my body is just too used up for a hunt like that these days.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
I would be to busy looking at the scenery to hunt!LOL Thanks for the pic & story...great just great!!! Congrats

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
You really do live and play in a beautiful place!!!

Congrats on your success!

Bisch

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Congrats! A bucket list hunt for me for sure.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
great pics
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Real cool stuff.   :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Awesome!!!

I was just in Kauai in Feb taking a break from ski guiding in Japan. I wanted so bad to have my bow and spend a day or two on Na Pali, but it was family time and I had to be happy in the surf and sun with the little one and my wife (not hard to enjoy that though)! I did manage to spear my first fish down near Poipu and we had it for dinner!

My wife's father has a place on Maui and we try and get over there every couple years or so. I can't wait until one day I can take my bow and do some hunting... maybe hook up with some of the locals like Ryan and Mstrum!

Thanks for sharing!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
Oh man so envious!  And super cool. Congrats on your beautiful and successful hunt!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 01:41:00 AM »
We were there in Feb as well. Staying at North end of island. Saw bunches of pigs in fields off of the road. Wished I had my bow as well. I enjoyed the cool air and wind at night put me to sleep.

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 05:18:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along on your hunt!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 06:32:00 AM »
Very awesome country. Congrats..

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
Fun story. Definitely an exotic adventure!

Offline MagicBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
Here is a hunt video I made of a goat harvest on Kauai.

It was in the same areas as the OP. Also it is not a trad bow but still worth the watch.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©