3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling All NC Turkey Bowhunters  (Read 2059 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling All NC Turkey Bowhunters
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
Here is a pic of the bird from yesterday. The full story is under, "I Sure Do Love Turkey Hunting."
Keep after em guys! This is going to be a great season!

------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
So i got a hole in my last tag slot...

------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
Bitter sweat morning in the turkey woods. I climbed out of bed at 5am this morning and walked up on the mountain behind my house. I didn't have much confidence in the area. Turkeys occasionally pass through. As I was setting in my blind I was surprised with a gobble not 100 yards out. With a little sweet talking talking oh worked his way to my location. My avian decoys done their job. He walked to 5 yards of the blind and struted around. I started to draw my bow and he spooked. I released the arrow as he ran off. It hit him high in the back with a clean pass through. He flew up about 15 than hit the ground. I'm not sure if he just couldn't get through the trees or he was hurt. I searched and searched and was unable to find him. It would have been my first tradional and archery Turkey.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
Keep after them Jeff it'll happen.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Jeff, they are tough and will go a long ways if you don't take their head off, take their wings off and/or don't take their legs out. Stay after 'em.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
I placed an order for a string tracker today. Hopefully next time will go differently.
 Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
All the pieces finally fell into place. I managed to tag my first traditional archery Turkey. The icing on the cakes was my son managed to take a bird also. No pictures of his because it was taken with a shotgun. Full story on dream come true thread

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
Way to go, Jeff!
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
Tim A has a story to tell
58" Tall Tines 49@28
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
This old bird had been around for a few years. For the last two weeks, my time has been hectic around the farm so I have not had a chance to turkey hunt as I would have liked. I bought some calves just before the season opened. My dad who is 84 years old had been wanting some cattle and despite my better judgement, I took dad to the cattle sale. Well, calves always want to test the fence so I spent that weekend starting at 2AM chasing calves. I decided to convert two pastures from horse fence to cattle proof. Every evening I fenced with barb wire while watching turkeys do their usual traveling between woods and pastures. I also bought 300 Green Thuja giant trees to plant around my hay field. I was planting a barrier from my neibors to invite the deer into food plots I had planned to plant in the future. The trees arrived last Wednesday and I got the field covered last night. Opening day of turkey season was cold with 30 mile wind gust. The next day it snowed but despite the weather, there was several turkeys arrowed that first weekend.
This morning I listened from my porch for a gobble at daybreak, one faint gobble told me they were on the mountain across the road. I knew they would eventually work there way down to the pasture. Hurriedly, I went to the edge of the woods by the road and set up my blind and avian flock. I called with an elk mouth call, nothing. I found out that you can call turkeys with elk calls if you were wondering. After several calling sessions, I was beginning to think they saw me from the mountain while I set up. After about a half hour, I heard something walking behind me, I turned to see a huge gobbler walking up to one of my hen decoys. I reached up and turned the GoPro on record. I grabbed the Wolfer and leaned back in the blind while drawing, came to full draw and leaned to the right then shot. Turkey are hard to judge for me but again I managed to hit the spot. I knew he was hit hard and as he walked off then I seen another gobbler and about 5-6 hens following in his direction. I lost track of all of them as they went up the mountain and eventually turned and crossed the road into the pasture. I waited a while then walked in the direction. I heard him flopping and knocked another arrow while walking over a little hump and I found him expired on an old logging trail. I used the same arrow topped with a singled beveled grizzly that I used on two hogs at the PBS hunt and my Wolfer pulling about 53lbs at my draw. I will get Dalton or Jeff to post some pics.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
Congrats Tim on a nice Tom.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Anyone still hunting? Seems to me all the birds around are henned up real bad, making killing them real tough. Ethan has been after his first archery bird for a few hunts now...or maybe hes just cursed?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
Not hit the woods and it looks like I won't. Headin' to New York in a few days on a there-and-back pick-up trip. Too much going on here.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
Life happens sometimes! Bright side is its only a few short months until we can chase whitetails again!

What would yall NC guys think of a public land weekend hunt in the mountains? Ive recently found some real good public ground. Just a thought? Would anyone be interested?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Dalton, I doubt I can do it this year because of work commitments, but definitely put me down for next year!!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
Dalton,
I been thinking the same thing. We have SO much public ground we can camp and hunt in.  Wheres the GL you were thinking? I might be in depending on date. I think it would be cool during small game so we have a shot at deer and maybe cook a few tree rats over the fire.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
Dalton, I'd definitely be interested.  It all depends on the dates - I am never in NC enough to suit me, but my vacation days are limited.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
I'd be interested in fall deer up your way. Last time I hunted up there was Carson Woods back in the 80s. I think it is a private lease now.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
I was thinking early season. Mainly because i start heading to OH and focusing on studs at the end of Oct, early Nov.

Im talking about a GL in Ashe. (there are 3) I hate to put out the name somewhere that can be searched, i have learned that can really screw a man up.

Not going to lie though, it will be physical. Everything is steep, but tons of game. People are too lazy to get to them. Also camping isnt allowed at this one, so a hotel room might be in order?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©