3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling All NC Turkey Bowhunters  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling All NC Turkey Bowhunters
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
I probably know of where you speak.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 05:33:00 AM »
I would be interested, as I don't mind rough country and need a new area to hunt here in NC.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
What dates would you guys be most interested in? Weekends in September are as follows, 2/3, 9/10, 16/17, 23/24, 30/Oct.1.

I was thinking maybe a friday evening through sunday morning maybe? What do you guys think?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
I would be interested, as I don't mind rough country and need a new area to hunt here in NC.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
I will be chasing elk in early September.
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
Does the season start 2/3? Seems like it's always the second weekend. If opening weekend, I'll be hitting my old reliable spots close to home.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
No i didnt put that together that quick Bud i just looked at weekends in Sept. It is the 2nd weekend like always i think. So weve narrowed it down to the last weekend or two in september?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
Dalton, I'm interested. Plenty of steep in my neck of the woods, just not as many deer   :D   per foot of elevation.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
What dates would you guys be most interested in? Weekends in September are as follows, 2/3, 9/10, 16/17, 23/24, 30/Oct.1.

I was thinking maybe a friday evening through sunday morning maybe? What do you guys think?
Late in the month works best for me, but I'm open to almost anything if I can swing the time off.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Lets get a ballpark on how many are interested, and maybe what dates you like the idea of? This sounds like it would ne a fun hunt id like to get tbe ball rolling on it
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Dalton - this sounds like fun. I'm interested but would like to wait for more details before I commit....

Some thoughts on the hunt:
- camping would be a lot more fun and better fellowship if we could camp...Any campgrounds nearby we might camp at?
- scouting - rough terrain to me says I can't go in blind and expect much of a hunt....Any thoughts on that? Maybe a scouting trip before the hunt to get us all up to speed on the area?

Great idea so more of us NC trad guys can meet.....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
My conclusion is that all the Blue Ridge gobblers in Ashe Co., N.C. were afflicted with the "lock-jaw" this past Friday. Don't know if they were all "henned up" or just getting wise to it all. My personal theory is that they bred early this year.  I think the Youth Hunt week is ground zero. Since one's own "personal truth" is the new PC mantra, maybe I'll just "identify" as a 12 year old next year, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Campgrounds are an interesting idea, when i get home to my computer i will see what i can find.

Scouting would also be a great idea! It will definitely be a big advantage for the fall if nothing else just to save time and legs.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
Dalton,
I'd be interested if I could get off work. Most of the campgrounds near me on the N&S river are open well into bow season, but you may want something closer to W. Jefferson depending on which GL you're looking at.  In Sept. they might give a special group discount provided we promise not to erect a meat-pole and traumatize the genteel!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
I know there is one in Glendale Springs, but thats a bit of a drive in the mornings. I will see what i can find out. The more i think about camping the better it sounds.

Who would be up for a scouting trip? We could do that on a saturday here pretty soon that way work might not be as involved? Bring water and good hiking shoes as it would be a workout for sure.

If we can get some steam rolling on it il make a seperate thread especially for this hunt, i think we have a great idea. I know we can get on deer, but just the hunt itself will be a blast blood or not.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Looks like the best option for campground would be Greenfield Campground in West Jefferson, it would be a about a 15min drive to the GL, looking like thats the best option though. I really hate we cant camp on the actual GL that seems silly to me that they wont allow it.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
This sounds like an awesome hunt. Ive been wanting to do something like this.  Even if we have to drive 15 minutes to the GL it will be great to camp out.  We can camp wherever down here but we just dont have the deer numbers as up north.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Were going to ask around and see if we cant camp closer, maybe somebody wont mind a few stick slinging rednecks sleeping in their yard a night or two   :readit:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Gents,
If there is room, I would love to be a part of this.  But I feel it is only right that I give more info about myself, as I am rather new here at Trad Gang.

I live in the Triad, and I haven't hunted whitetails in over 20 years.  Nothing more than squirrels, rabbits & a few birds.  But now my kids are grown, and I have picked up the archery bug again.  I used to hunt in WV - backpack into a place called the Cranberry Back Country - and that spawned my screen name.  

I have recently been computer searching for public lands to hunt in NC, because my family lands and the national forest I used to hunt are simply too far away for a weekend, or 3-day, trip.

I stumbled across this thread today, and just had to speak up.  I apologize if this is an intrusion, that is not my intent - just a request.

Many thanks -
Jeff

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
I think a 15 minute drive from campground to GL is not bad….But if you can get us closer even better  :)  ….

I'm not sure where in Ashe county we would be hunting, but to Jefferson is about a 3.5 hour drive from my house….I could possibly do a day trip for scouting but thats a fair amount of driving for one day - especially if we do a lot of walking that day….

Another scouting option might be for a couple of us to get there a day or 2 early and scout for the group…Then come up with a plan on getting everybody in a good spot to hunt...It's highly likely I could do that as my schedule is very flexible….

I thought I had seen something about hunting Sunday in one of the earlier posts…I don't think you can hunt GL on Sundays? I might be wrong about that but we would need to check that out too….
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©