3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Replacing the string of Toelke's whip  (Read 727 times)

Offline jedway

• Trad Bowhunter
Replacing the string of Toelke's whip
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
As we knew,Toelke used 8 strands endless loop FF strings on the 40lbs+ whips, I would like to know who used to replace the original string with flemish twist string?And how many strands sould be twisted into for keeping the same performance as the original string? Because I found that every string maker told me the flemish twist strings should be twisted with 14+ strands for a light bow, 8strands is too few of it but the more strands the lower performance.

Thanks.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Replacing the string of Toelke's whip
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
I used a 12 strand FF string from 10 ring strings.  Bow shot great.  I know people who have used 8 strand SBD strings as well.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
What kind of arrow nock are you using?  I use Easton Axis Trads.  They have an Easton X nock.  I get perfect nock fit with 8 strands of 450+ material padded to 12 in the loops and served with .024 Halo and excellent performance out of all the bows I have put that on, including the whip.  450+ has a thicker strand than most other FF materials so you can get by with using fewer strands of it.  It's a blended material. 70% dyeema and 30% vectran.  BCY X is also a blended material although I think the percentage of Dyeema to Vectran is a bit different than 450+ and it is a much smaller strand.  I heard 18 strands is about the equivalent of 8 stands of 450+.  I do not believe strand count is such a cut and dry factor when talking performance.  What you should be going for is a strand count that gives you good nock fit and one that you can pad the loops with to help protect your bow.  Will an 18 strand BCY X string have less performance than an 8 strand 450+?  I doubt it cause they have the same finished string thickness.  Good luck to you.

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I go with SBD 8 strands on all my Toelkes.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Strand count depends on the material.  As meatCKR pointed out, 8 strands of 450+ is going to be about the same diameter as 18 strands of BCY-X or 8190.

A heavier string may affect performance a bit, but usually it's not going to be enough that you would notice.  More strands is also going to be more durable, more consistent, and have less stretch/creep.  I like a happy medium myself.

Chad

Offline jedway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
Thanks guys! I have got a plan that the D97 12strands for replacing, someone have a whip and told me it worked well. But the ways with FF,SBD or 450+ sound great too, I may try it.

@9 Shocks, I am using axis 600 spines cutted to 29.5".Thank you for so detailed explain!

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
I liked my 8 strand flemish SBD strings with wool puffs on My HS whips.I liked how the bow performed more overall than the stock string personally with the SBD.

The stock endless string is very well made though and totally acceptable.

It never hurts to try a different string on a bow.It will cost a few bucks at worst.

Some bows will like some string materials,string type and makeup more than others.

Offline jedway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steelhead:
I liked my 8 strand flemish SBD strings with wool puffs on My HS whips.I liked how the bow performed more overall than the stock string personally with the SBD.

The stock endless string is very well made though and totally acceptable.

It never hurts to try a different string on a bow.It will cost a few bucks at worst.

Some bows will like some string materials,string type and makeup more than others.
Thank you Steelhead, I was always too lazy to change the original strings but have seen your guys such many choices I think I would try more.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©