3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking with a Bow Quiver - or other type quiver ??  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking with a Bow Quiver - or other type quiver ??
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
I've read so many stories of folks out west creeping along the ground, pushing their bow ahead of themselves, until they see the antler tips, etc.

Wouldn't a bow quiver be a problem in this senereo?  The problem is you ruin the feathers on the ground as you push your bow along.  

Alternately, your bow is 180 degrees with the quiver up and the sight window down.  That creates another unreasonable problem.

All the articles I've read never discuss this.

What do you fellows do in this situation?
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking with a Bow Quiver - or other type quiver ??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
bow quivers are just the best option in some cases.  side/hip quivers do not crawl well as they hangup and create noise, and a back quiver can slide and seem to dump arrows when crawling down hill.  I hunt small game with a side quiver, but big game with the bow quiver as it is convenient and crawling around is not a big deal-not like it has to be done every time.  bows here take a beating some times....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
Hear me out because I don't live or hunt "out west".  However, I am crazy enough to stalk turkeys with my trad bow and the hands down best quiver ever devised for sneaking around is the Absorkee Quiver from Farr West.  Even in thick brush it rides directly behind me and the fletching never gets hung up.  The steel belt loop (an open loop that hooks over your belt) and weight of the quiver makes it always stay parallel to the ground no matter whether I am standing or kneeling.  If I have to hit the dirt on my belly, I can pull it off my belt effortlessly and push it along with my bow.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
I am turkey hunting next week in California.  Bow quiver on my bow and I use it to put a few sprigs of leaves amonst the shafts.  hide my face behind them when calling.  Like I said, there are plenty of options and none is best for every situation.
NEB, I try to hunt turkeys by stalking and end up just trying to get in front of them.  You have chosen a difficult way to hunt them-hats off to ya as I know how hard it is==they see every little thing!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
I believe there is great value in keeping your arrows with the bow all the times.  A bow quiver makes this happen and requires minimal movement to get the arrow from the quiver to the shelf.

When low crawling with a rifle in the military, you lay it along the top of one forearm (more or less parallel to your body).  When doing the military high-crawl, you cradle it on your elbows (perpendicular to your body).  Google up a couple pictures and you will see what I mean.  I'm sure a bow with quiver could be done the same way.

That type of crawling in THIS part of the west seems pretty impractical to me though.  Loose gravel, dry twigs, cactus spines, ants, scorpions, snakes, etc. would make covering a even a short distance quietly very difficult.  Taking a long time to use this method quietly puts you at the mercy of shifting winds and the blazing sun.  Just my opinion though, I suppose there is a time and place for anything. - John

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
Roadkill, it seems you are right that a bow quiver would be the better option.

My main concern would be with the fletching.  Maybe I shouldn't worry about damaging some feathers.  Or is there some way to add a little protection there?
Bob

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
i love my cat quiver- it stays where its supposed to- and fletches protected and dry.
 do carry one in a solo stalker though- at times!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
Honestly, there is no "perfect one" for every situation. But I have found, hunting with guys who use different quivers, that the Absorkee Quiver is a great option.
A few examples; When going through thick and wet brush/cover the fletchings stay dryer, than going trough the same place with arrows on a bow quiver.  Having the arrows off the bow, can mean for greater versitality and less movement when the opportunity for a shot comes. The Mark Baker Caddy Bracket, makes for easy on, easy off, and a super handle to hold on to when crawling through the brush.
These are just a few of the advantages I've noticed through the years of using and building them.  
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, fellows.

I have a Cat Quiver that I never use, and several bow quivers that I do use.

Looks like I have some work cut out for myself this year.  I had planned to dig a hole in the side yard to make a low sitting ground blind in order to figure what the bugs are with that.  The ground blind is for whitetail.  

Now, I'll add to the list practice stalking in low weeds with various quivers to see what's gonna work best for me.
Bob

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
I started using a hip quiver last year kwikee with a hip mount I made, but they sell one a sidewinder for it too. Best I've used for quiet and strong arrow control. Stays out of the way. Used it all last year for turkey elk deer.  Stalked elk and turkey.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
The Safari Tuff has served me exceedingly well from small game to deer... to turkey...to deer...to hogs to NZ red stag.  

My experience is restricted to ground blind and spot and stalk.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
I hate to say it but I've been using a Kwikee Kwiver (they've been around a long time) as of lately with NO shield (the shield is hokey pokey and lots of noise, I'm still working on my emprovement to it). I made some leather pieces to go over my broadheads. Kwikee's are cheap and they work and do not move..My 2 cents
Odds are with the prepared..

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
I do not like a quiver on my bow, and the best solution I have found for stalking is my Ridge Line quiver by Farr West Leather!

Bisch

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Pretty hard to ruin feathers crawling along the ground. They're pretty robust. I've pushed my bow - with a bow quiver - along the ground in front of me many times, never once ruined the feathers. Might've ruffled some a bit, but they fly perfectly, still.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »
i use nothing but a plains indian Quiver it is easy as
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 03:38:00 AM »
I have always had problems with quivers on bow. I feel the best to leave it at home. It blocks out a portion of your field of view. I myself would want a back quiver. I absolutely love my Safari TUFF, which is a back quiver. I can carry all my needed items for bow including arrows. I wound now hate to carry all that extra stuff in my pockets or a bag. I also carry 20 arrows, I can also attach it to a packs frame. It also has covers for top and the middle section opening where you can access arrows without spooking game by reaching in air for arrows. I guess to each there own. \\

Please note when tipped over the cover does keep the arrows from falling out. it also folds up pretty well..
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
I have used a Safari tuff for a long time, and they work very well for spot and stalk hunting. Toward the end of last season, I got a side quiver from KC Kreger (Oklahomaleatherman here), and it works great and is a looker, as well.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
That is very beautiful, looks like very good craftsmanship. Great picture quality too.

Centar  :notworthy:
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Centaur, that is super nice!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©