3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New pants question  (Read 1246 times)

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
New pants question
« on: March 30, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
Ok Tradgangers. I am buying a new pair of pants for hunting this year and narrowed it to two choices. I know this is a personal preference question to a large degree but still respect and appreciate the input of experienced outdoorsmen or outdoorswomen (as I am still a novice).

I live and hunt in NE Ohio and also hunt in central and Southeastern Ohio. Hunt a mix of game but we will call this a white tail hunting garment if that helps.

In the past I have been using my dad's old woodland BDUs as camo. They are warm weather gear, 50% nylon, 50% rip-stop cotton. I always just layered underneath accordingly with longjohns, merino tops, sweatpants, etc.

I added an Asbell Timber Ghost pullover last year and LOVE it! So adding more wool this year. Also, I really wanted to try ASAT as I am kinda sold on its efficacy (dispute this if you feel differently).

So here are my choices.

A First Lite Kanab 2.0 Lightweight pant. 100% merino wool in ASAT.
 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZ0KK3E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=X2QIEQ10MNCV&coliid=I2YUBBDDZ0EG7E&psc=1

A cabela's Men's Merino Wool Tech pant.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MERINO-TECH-PANT/1666391.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_page%3D0%26CQ_refinements%3D%25257Ecategories_pcategories _pvalue%25253DClothing%25257Ecategories_pcategories_pcategories_pvalue%25253DMen%252527s%252BHunting%252BClothing%26CQ_search%3Dwool%26CQ_st%3Db

My only concern with the Cabela's is that they do not have ASAT (although the outfitter camo is a nice open pattern). And also that it is only 25% wool and the rest is polyester fleece.

Your thoughts on these items?
Also, your experience with fleece in the field compared to wool? My main concern I haven't been able to find an answer for is the UV brightness of the fleece vs wool.

Thanks, sorry for the long post!

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New pants question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
I've been wearing the Kanabs for several years now. My favorite pants by far for fit and function. They are lightweight material though. Not woolies for cold weather. I've had some issues with durability also. The 2.0s have a different material in the crotch, presumably to resolve issues of wear that have resulted in blowouts for me. They are great pants, but if you will be in thick brush, don't expect them to last much more than a season or two.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:07:00 AM »
I just wear the plain old od green wool pants from a military surplus store. I think they are made in Sweden ,heavy wool and the deer don't seem to mind that they aren't camo. I think I paid maybe $30 for them and have worn them for many years.
Denny

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:14:00 AM »
take a look at the TUSX boulder pant. i use it in NZ for tahr and alot of hunting here in australia. excellent venting for warmer weather and the abilty to layer underneath, like you already do.
they will outlast wool in thick brush 10 times over and they dry alot quicker than wool too.

INCLUDING shipping from australia they will be about US$95. they are a tradgang sponsor too.   :thumbsup:  

http://www.tusxhunter.com/apparel/legwear/boulder-mountain-pant

http://www.tusxhunter.com/resources/boulder-mountain-pant-resource-information.html
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
I'm a DayOne customer. I have a pair of fleece pants that are 25 years old and still going. They seem a bit thin, but are good now for milder days. I just bought a heavy fleece pair in Loden Green that I  expect will "see me out".
The best cargo pocket in the business, too much room in there. Made in the USA, Google them up.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
I have 2 pairs of hunting pants.  warm weather and cold weather.  I'm not concerned about the camo pattern as much as I am over fit and function.

I have no experience with the two you listed so cannot give thoughts on the exact brands.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
I wear old military woodland camo my dad gave me back in the 1970's. They are still effective. Some times I wear work Carhartt work pants. Wool is not as necessary for me, because our winters are not usually severely cold. Also,since becoming diabetic, I tend to stay home when the weather gets really nasty.
Sam

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Something particularly of note for us southern hunters, new Army OCP(multicam) trousers are pre-treated with permethrin now, as are the jackets. At least they are at Ft. Campbell anyway. If you are close to an Army base and have access to the base and Clothing and Sales, they are a good option.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks for all of these great inputs guys!

Unfortunately ozy, the particular pant you showed me is out of stock in all but X-L. Other options had my size but the one was a hot weather pant and the other a much more expensive extreme condition pant.

Hopewell. I checked Day One out; unfortunately no ASAT in the wool although the charcoal grey would be a good compromise. They did have ASAT available in fleece and of course that comes at a lower price than wool.
 https://dayonecamouflage.com/bottoms/fleece/product/284-pants-waist-lined-fleece

But my one question remainis. Any experience in the field with fleece? Its characteristics? I know it's quiet but is it UV dim?

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Sorry Hopewell, just re-read your post and you really touched on the durability of that pant! Thanks!

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Also never really considered the surplus route, which was kinda silly of me.

http://go-armynavy.com/military-surplus/wool-pants/swedish-military-wool-cargo-pants.html  

http://go-armynavy.com/military-surplus/wool-pants/swedish-military-wool-whipcord-cargo-pants-new.html  

Found these for starters, one medium, one heavy. Could get both for cheaper than any of the new "modern" products.

Or this looks like an awesome value:
 http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/m1951-wool-field-pants.html

Anyone use the M1951?

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
I tried on a pair of the Cabela's and liked them, but felt they were too heavy for an early season pant for me, as I already have a heavy set of wool pants from Columbia.  I bought a pair of the Kanab 2.0.  I like the fit, but have not used them in the field yet. I have used the army surplus pants as a mid-weight for years and loved them.  The Swedish pair I had was fantastic till my waist exceeded their capabilities.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
my wife got me a set of the first lite Kanab 2.0 pants for my birthday last year.  Fantastic hunting pant.  I am very pleased.  I wanted a hunting pant for mountain hunting and am not a big fan of camo.  The Kanab is one of the few hunting  pants available in a  non-camo colour.  I love the suspenders, they offer a good amount of stretch and movement, are warm, but not too warm.  I have some of the "waterproof" and lined pants from Cabelas.  They are fine for sitting and glassing, but hiking in 8 km for a goat of caribou and I was sweating something terrible.  Way too warm for early season or anything involving a good amount of movement.

I will buy another pair of Kanab's at some point.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
RN, I have 2 pairs of the Swedish wool cargo pants and a pair of the whipcord. Cargo pants are almost 1/4 inch thick (blanket weight) and take a beating. Blood wipes right off, briars make no impression. I have worn them with thick fleece long johns underneath and been comfortable sitting at 20 below zero F. The whipcord are somewhat heavier than wool suit pants but much hardier. Good in warmer temps but can go colder with appropriate under-garments. I don't think you can go wrong with either, or both.

I do a lot of ground blind hunting and really don't worry about camo over my legs, just my torso (and breaking up my silhouette with hats, etc). I have three pieces of camo fabric (greenish, brownish, and snow) about 48 inches by 30 inches that I can drape over my legs if sitting. I don't carry all three, just carry the right one for conditions and location. If I am stalking, I make sure to stay within trees and my legs seem to look like stumps.
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
RN,
I have two pair of the 1951 OD wool pants and one OD wool shirt. The shirt is 80% wool and 20% polyester (I think), washable, and is heavier than the pants. The pants are a 100% wool and a very good value. You can't go wrong with them. I bought a size larger than I normally wear so that a heavy shirt can be tucked in without being too tight around the waist. Get the suspenders, too.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
I have a German (I think) surplus wool pant that is very good also. Big cargo pockets and durable.
I only wear my DayOne and surplus wool for hunting, then they are cleaned and stored until next season. That helps with the longevity.
X2 on the suspenders. My pants are pretty heavy as the pockets are fairly full. One time hunting with my cousin, he said he wondered what I was going to pull out of there next. Snacks and water, all day long.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline tradhunterRN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks guys, you have all been extremely helpful! I am strongly considering these grey Swedish surplus pants that I think I linked earlier. I'm not gonna lie though. I still have concerns over not being able to get ASAT camo.

I can rationalize that I am just being a victim of marketing, as I know a lot of you guys consistently take big game without any commercial camo patterns, but I still can't help but feel that I will be exposed in grey pants compared to ASAT ones  :( .    :help:    :banghead:

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
fILSON RIPCORD WOOL PANTS
The older I get the better I was

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
ASAT is fine. For Camo I've never witnessed better than mossy oak treestand. My buddy keeps disappearing and I had to get some.  Amazing pattern

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
RN,
What color are the tree trunks (assuming that you will hunt from a tree stand)? Gray should be a fine color. Your movement is the problem, more than the camo pattern.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©