3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody purchased a Damascus glove lately?  (Read 621 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody purchased a Damascus glove lately?
« on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
I dropped poundage and went back to an old Damascus glove that I had before. I had a buddy that bought one not to long ago and it looked like it was made out of a different material.(Maybe something synthetic). Does anyone know if they have changed something. If they have can you guys recommend a similar glove made from a natural leather? I saw kangaroo leather on Big Jim's web page. But I was not sure how thin it was. Thanks for the help!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody purchased a Damascus glove lately?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
I have read in discussions about gloves that new versions is not as well made. I stopped using one years ago because I was going through 3 a year. Even at 13.50 a piece I saw no bargin. It is a shame because when new I really liked them.
I have one of American Leathers crossover gloves made from Kangaroo  leather. I have not looked back.

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
Scott, check out the product review forum, there is an excellent post on this topic.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
Thanks I never thought to look there.

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
I much prefer the Berlin Glove from 3 Rivers.  The Damascus glove is pitifully made.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
I've still got the one I've been using for the last 6 years that I accidentally broke in backwards and now the correct way feels funny.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
I used to use a Damascus glove and tried a 3 rivers dura glove. Definitely a spendy glove but well worth the money.... I still have and shoot with the same one I bought 6 yrs ago
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
I'll second the Dura glove.  They had some quality control issues a year or so ago, but I think they've got that taken care of now.  I ordered a replacement a few months ago, and it is the same high quality I remember.

I bought a Damascus glove at a tournament recently because I wanted to see if I liked it better than the Dura glove.  It seemed to fit in the shop, but something didn't feel right when I started using it later.  I looked closely and one of the fingers was sewn on twisted so the fingertip pads didn't line up with the string.  Fortunately, I was still at the tournament so I could exchange it.  In the end, I didn't like it as much as the Dura glove because the string slides off the cordura pads on the Dura glove better than the Damascus glove.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 12:55:00 AM »
I bought a Damascus glove a few years ago and it didnt take long to try a different glove. Bought a Big Shot elk and recently bought a Crossover kangaroo leather. Liking the Crossover alot!
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
There are a few threads about the new Damascus here in the last year or so; tried to search the most thorough one for you but don't find it yet... and gotta get to work soon.

Long story short, a member has found the  Bearpaw doeskin glove (Kustom King) and the Kangaroo leather glove (a plain one, rather than theAmerican Leathers crossover) from Big Jim's to be closest to the old Damascus.

I never had the old one, but have been shooting the new version for a couple of years. It's extremely thin. I like the string feel, and it's holding up well, but it feels to me like it might not be the best for string control or clean release. Could well be my form issues here.
Anyway, I ordered that Kangaroo from Big Jim, should be here in a day or two-I'll check back in on that one when I get it.

As far as the nylon tips on some gloves, it does give a clean release, but, again, I find I like the better string control of leather tips.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
The last one I got was very thin leather and not made well. I've use a Damascus glove for many years but I think I'll look for a different brand I like better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
I had to buy two replacement Dura-gloves when I lost mine at the club last fall. It was found two weeks ago and still in good usable shape so I have a lifetime supply now. It was under leaves under a pavilion.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Black Hills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
The leather on my old Damascus is getting pretty stiff - too much sweat, I reckon.  Saddle soaped the begeezers out of it a few times, and dressed it up with some MT pitch blend conditioner.  That has helped a bunch.  My other medium sized Damascus was too short in the fingers, and hardly used, so I sold it to another guy that shoots the trad league.

In the meantime, I was looking at replacing it with a new one.  Just the other night, I tried on four new Damascus gloves.  Three of them were medium, and one was a large in a factory labeled package marked medium.

One of the medium labeled gloves fit perfectly, but seemed to be cut for a left handed string and the Velcro closure was backwards from any other Damascus I've seen and was terribly awkward.  A second medium labeled glove had fingers that were about 1/2" too short for me.  A third medium labeled glove also had short fingers, but the Velcro strap would have fit a 350 Lb. guy with huge wrists.  The fourth glove was labeled as a large, even though it came in medium labeled packaging, and it was truly large.  Too large for me to bother spending much time fooling around with it.

So...  I will continue to work with my old Damascus in the hopes that it will soften up some.  Thank goodness it is well made, and a long way from being worn out.  But, it would still be nice to have a reliable backup for a spare.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Black Hills, I wash my Damascus with warm water and Dawn dish soap then put it on my hand to shape it, take it off and set aside to dry. When dry I then put it back on an work in some Montana Pitch Blend. I usually do this once or twice a year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
I use a black widow stick-tite glove.  It's not damascus so I'm not sure how much help this will be, but to keep it soft, supple and somewhat water repellant I use Filson boot oil.  works like a charm!

http://www.filson.com/filson-boot-oil.html  

Tom

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Based on my experience above, and Black Hills' experience, I would much rather buy a Damascus glove someplace where I could try it on rather than send off for it.  I didn't say in my first post, but when I brought the first Damascus glove back to the shop, I tried on all the other ones they had in my size, which were about 5 pairs.  They all fit different, and I picked the best fitting out of the 5 or so that I tried on.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Go with big shot or big jims kangaroo. Thin, protective, durable, dont stretch out. Cannot be beat. I'll never buy another Damascus,  or any other glove ever again.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Slayer, I got my kangaroo glove from Big Jim today (pretty darn quick, at that!) I've only had the chance to shoot a couple/few dozen arrows with it today, but my abbreviated impression so far about this glove compared to the new Damascus:
Sizing is very comparable. The kangaroo is more supple,finger stalls maybe a tad longer, and on the thin side, even for my thinnish fingers. Better in the alignment if the finger stitching. J
Just a tad thicker than the Damascus. Softer. Excellent string feel and better string control.
Little hard to say about the release, equal to for sure, and I tend to think a little cleaner, than the Damascus.
I like it better, and it does,t compromise anything. The Damascus is holding up well, but the super thin goatskin feels kind of like paper; the kangaroo is a nice soft leather.
"break in" took about a dozen arrows; time will have to tell how it behaves long term. For the moment, my "groups" improved noticeably (over yesterday, anyway).

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Thanks Joe!. I think I will give the kangaroo a try.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
If you like a glove with those type of finger stalls,try the glove from Lost Nation. It is made for them by Neet,and it has cordovan tips. The glove is not cheap,but it is very well made,and has a very slick release.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©