3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do you know?  (Read 844 times)

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
When do you know?
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
Just toying with the thought of actually getting to the point of going out with my bow. What is it gonna take, and at what point did you decide that you were taking your trad bow to the woods?
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do you know?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." If you know you can get 90% of your shots in the kill zone, in similar conditions from which you plan to shoot, from a distance you can accurately estimate in the field, then you're ready.

Some might apply those limitations only to big game, and take a more relaxed view of shots at squirrels, rabbits, etc.  I'd have to leave that to each man's personal ethics.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
When I no longer wished to carry a compound bow.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
As soon as I could sneak it out of the house without my mom seeing me!   :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
When did I decide?  When that's the only kind of bow there was.    ;)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 03:40:00 PM »
McDave was right on target with his answer... Only you will know when you are ready... That being said, I remember what got me to make the switch from a compound to a traditional bow for hunting deer...

Read someplace many years ago: "If you can keep your broadhead arrows within a six inch circle at five yards, go hunting. Just Don't Shoot Past Five Yards!"

So I went out there, hunting the cover, stalking and still hunting and had a blast... In time, my effective range got longer... Knowing when NOT to shoot is just as important as when to shoot...

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
Like rraming above, one day I no longer wished to use a compound. It was the last time I ever did. I bought a stickbow shortly thereafter and started hunting right away. Never even thought about keeping my wheel bow as a back up - gave it to a friend.

Don't over think it. Decide what your own limit is on distance when shooting at a live animal then stick to it. When your shooting ability allows you to lengthen that distance, do so. Enjoy the process, the lessons learned and the simplicity.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »
I can put all my arrows in a 6'' circle at 15 yards now. Very seldom have a flyer. I've been shooting every day since last December. I'd go hunting with it today, but I'd keep my shots under 15 yards, and 10 or 12 would be even better. But I'm determined to hunt with just my recurve this year. If I actually kill a deer with it, my compounds will be for sale and I'll be buying a really nice trad bow for the following season!! I'll be shooting from a chair when I'm hunting, either in a ground blind or pop up...so starting about July that's the only way I'll practice. About the first of September, I'll only practice from sitting and with broadheads. In October, hopefully I'll be posting pics of my first trad deer!! Good luck, I'm sure it's different for everybody. But I'd say whenever you feel confident, just like with anything else. And just be aware of your limitations.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
I hunted with a compound one year. I bought a recurve and practiced a ton to the point I figured I was ready. Right before the season I chickened out and reluctantly used the compound for the second year.

By my third season I was both physically and mentally ready for the switch. That was in 1987 and I have not shot a compound since.

No shame in hunting with what you are comfortable with, we owe the animals we persue that much. You will know when you are ready.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
Wow some very good thoughts here guys and I appreciate the encouraging statements made. With that said I have a goal set for myself that this fall I will be taking my bow to the woods. It seems like I'm getting better everyday and everytime I pull my bow back I learn something different. Will I attempt to harvest and animal with it I'm sure I will given the right opportunity within my comfort zone. Whatever that is come Oct 1st
"Take Your Bow And Quiver Full Of Arrows An Go Out Into The Country To Hunt Some Wild Game For Me"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Mike is one wise human. And a generous one.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
When I finally realized a longbow or recurve is a better hunting weapon than a compound..

I wanted to up the odds in my favor, so I switched..

You have to believe and have dedication...

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
I gave up hunting with a rifle because there was no longer any enjoyment in the hunt, the same with a compound but several years later. Being trad only for the last 10 years has made hunting fun again.

Offline OkieBowHunter11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Agreed I enjoy shooting traditional way more than compound that's a no Brainer but if I ever get a chance at any big game with my trad  bow and seal the deal will be a great day in the woods and a day to remember!!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Day one. When I decided to bowhunt, trad was the only kind of bow there was.
Sam

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
when i picked up a Bent stick and put a string on it and shot a few other sticks with nails. i said to myself is this fun or what. and i aint looked back  since oh hang on yeah i did i picked up a sling shot. but hey its a bent stick LOL!!!   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
I practiced until I was confident I could put my arrow in the kill zone every time 20 yards and under. I practiced setting , standing ,from a tree stand , all kinds of different bow cants , and all kinds of hunting senerios till I felt confident .That's the same type of practice I still do to this day .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
In your heart you will know when you are ready. Listen to it !

I would shoot alot, almost every day. I shot from known distances and got comfortable with form, anchor and release. But seldom do deer come into your 20 yd marker.

To practice I would take 6 arrows, stand at my target and throw them in all directions and distances. Subtle changes in distance and angle can make or break you.

Those of you who brought the compound thing into it are not helping this young man. He needs to feel confident and comfortable shooting a traditional bow not pressured by your personal ideas.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Just remember that you don't HAVE to take a shot at an animal when you are hunting.  I've passed my share of opportunities to shoot an arrow at game, simply because the shot didn't feel right.  At some point in time, usually after you've become proficient in practice and you gain confidence in your own abilities, you'll decide to take the shot.

I can't think of a good reason for you to wait, other than your local hunting laws...

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
"just toying with the thought" - Hey no disrespect but I have never felt that way about bowhunting - The only bows available when I started were recurves and longbows - which is the equipment that attracted me to what I see as hunting. Probably would not have hunted big game at all if it weren't for real bows. I probably was not good enough to hunt first few seasons in the 70s but no damage was done. Everything happened inside 10 yards for years - misses - and kills when they came.
Go for it! Life is waiting
<><
<----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©