3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting out of a kayak  (Read 688 times)

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting out of a kayak
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Great info

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
What Maineac said "When going solo I sit backwards on the front seat, which lowers the profile of the front."  I've duck hunted, flyfished in salt water, and bowfished out of a 17 foot Grumman aluminum canoe for over 50 years. They are as stable as you can get!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I have a tandem Native Craft......check them out. It's a kayak that thinks it's a canoe.
I have the same boat and love it!   Paddles like a kayak,  but with the open design of a canoe.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by ESP:
Thanks for all of your information.  I think I will take a serious look at an Old Town Discovery 133.  Any one have any experience with this particular canoe?

Thanks
ESP
Assuming you're going solo, I would look instead at the 119. The 133 weighs 78 pounds and may actually be harder to stuff a deer and/or camping gear into, given it has three seats. The 119 weighs 49 pounds and has a single seat with a fair bit of deer-stuffing room in the bow. The 119 will most likely paddle better as well.

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I have a Jackson Kilroy fishing kayak. I've not hunted out of it yet but I plan to.  It's very stable. In fact you can stand in it and fish quite easily.  I've done that numerous times. There are videos on youtube and the Jackson website. It's a sit inside kayak and comes with a very comfortable seat.  It's a great design and really designed with fishing in mind but should work great as a hunting kayak for ducks or big game.  Mine weighs around 60 pounds or so if I remember right. Really happy with mine if you can't tell...  :)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
I have a NuCanoe - wouldn't trade it for a canoe.  Far more stable then a canoe or most kayaks and more features.  It is more expensive but I have really grown to love it.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
That Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 looks very interesting. The thing to remember is when hunting you usually take a good amount of gear, treestand, safety climbing gear, lunch, drinks, change of clothes in a dry bag (if you are smart), dead animal. That's why I prefer a canoe with plenty of carrying capacity.

I know right now kayaks are the hot lick but they have limitations in certain situations.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
Hi all . I have a lot of time on the water . When I was younger it was all canoes . Then sit in kayaks and now SOT kayaks . My age and health has me heavy and out of shape . I looked long and hard be for I decided on my KC12 . The Ultimate looked good and I test paddled one . The nucanoe is a great one and I know a number of people that have one and love them . They are work horses .I got the K12 and love it . I have many hours in it in the Md. marches and NY and Vt. ponds . I chose it because it is lighter then most , and will hold a lot of weight . I fish from it and access my hunting leas .It is very stable with a lot of open storage room .I am in the poses of putting a electric trolling motor on it so I can better get to my lease be for light and after dark . Test paddle be for you by and have fun and be safe .

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
NuCanoe has a 600 pound carrying capacity.  I used it to haul several deer out so far with no problems at all.  I know I was glad I had it over a regular kayak or canoe when it came time to load them up on it.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©