3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommended long bows  (Read 986 times)

Offline Kada1974

• Trad Bowhunter
Recommended long bows
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
I am looking to get into trad archery hunting, have been a long time bowhunter and want to know several custom longbow makers that anyone would recommend, I am looking for something $1500 or less, I have been shooting a Bear longbow for years and looking to upgrade, If anyone could give me some suggestions on some great bows i would appreciate it

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommended long bows
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Welcome!!    Check out the list of sponsors above.  All make great bows.  Best bet is to get behind a few at an event and see what feels best for you.  You will find all the builders VERY helpful and very open to helping you out.  

Good luck.....it's addictive!!!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:43:00 AM »
Hi Christian,

Welcome! I would suggest looking at the used bows in the classifieds ads, then research the bowyers who built the bows to better understand the design of the bows. This will help you understand the type of longbow you're considering purchasing, e.g. is it a hill style bow or a reflex/deflex style... You can purchase a used bow for significantly less than a new bow and you can resell it if it's not right for you. In doing so, you can learn what you really like before you purchase a new bow.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Agree with Dennis above..
First are you looking for a recurve or a longbow?
Do you want a one piece or takedown?
What poundage?
I wouldn't spend that amount on a new bow when first getting into traditional archery. If you do you will most likely regret it as soon as you shoot another and like it better and take a loss on trying to sell it.
If any local archery ranges or clubs where you can go and try a couple fellows bows to see what type you like and more importantly in the very beginning what weight you are comfortable shooting.
Definitely bow a used bow or two that you can try and see what you like best.

I would also start by getting a traditional archery dvd such as Hitting'em Like Howard Hill by John Schultz or G Fred Asbell Instinctive Shooting which will show you a style of shooting.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
As has been mentioned, there is a wide variety of bows that fall in the general category of longbows.  Plus, you might change your mind later and want to try recurves.  The chances of picking the one you finally decide you want up front are pretty small.

There is a series of DVD's call Masters of the Bare Bow, 4 disks at present, I believe, although they may be planning more.  In it you will see all kinds of traditional archers shooting all kinds of traditional recurves and longbows and explaining all the different methods they use to shoot them.  It also has a wonderful instructional section in disk #3, by Rod Jenkins.  Definitely worth your while to view all the disks.

Tradgang also has a traditional archery disk, which is very worthwhile and available on this website.

As others have recommended, perhaps you should start with an inexpensive longbow in the $200 range, either used or something new like a Samick Sage longbow.  Maybe about 40 pounds pull.  I wouldn't get anything too short to learn on, probably 64" or more.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Agree with going for a used bow starting out. Join  a club and shoot as many bows as possible. Go to ETAR in PA in July shoot bows and talk to all the vendors there it will open your eyes. Nothing better then putting a bow in your hand and shooting it. Go with a lighter poundage to start.

Tundra
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
I'm not the help that these guys are, but Welcome!    :wavey:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
There is nothing that comes close to actually holding the grip and shooting the bow. For what you're seeking, you really should attend one or more events with several top bowyers present, in order to try their wares.

I have four longbows here, two that I love, one that I tolerate and one that I loathe.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Asking for that type of info will only get recommendations for a particular bow from those who shoot and like that particular bow. A very subjective topic. All the advice given here is the way to go. Shoots definitely stand out as you can actually get to shoot different brands and types. Might be some trad shooters nearby who would be willing to let you shoot theirs also. Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money until I was sure what I wanted. There are a heap of great bowyers out there to choose from when you do make your decision.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
From a guy who has not been involved in archery for more than a few years (5 or 6?) believe me you can have more fun for the buck and experience a HUGE variety of bows by playing with used ones. I have bought a few new bows and cherish them, but only after I knew for sure what I wanted. Then, I discovered I wanted something else too   :)  

I've shot some of the best custom bows out there and, by buying used, was able to swap/buy/sell for a profit or loss of only $20 or $30 each. Plan on losing 30% to 50% on a new bow if you decide it's not the one for you.

Ask around about trad events in/near Iowa. You can usually shoot a whole slew of different bows there and get a better idea of what really rings your bell before you lay out the big bucks.

Also, assuming you're coming from the wheeled side of the sport, start out at a lighter draw weight than you think you want. It's a lot easier to work on form when you can do it in slow motion and hold until you're set to release without a lot of pressure to rush the shot before you've had a chance to evaluate it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
I would like to add to this, that high price does not always equate to a great feeling, great shooting bow, nor do they always offer advantages over a lower priced bow when it comes to taking game. Niether does lower prices always indicate a junky or poor feeling bow. A number of bows of a lower price range will shoot tight groups, and easily take game of all sizes. None of them are magic, and they all require the same type of skill and practice to shoot them well, no matter the price.

For an example years ago i bought a Martin Super Diablo #50 bow. I practiced, and eventually hunted with it. I think I payed in the $350 ish range. I shot a deer, and did not see the performance id hoped for. So i ran out and spent at the time, $750-$800 on a Black Widow. In the process,  Ken Beck taught me a thing or two about arrow tuning and hunting shafts. I killed many deer with that bow, and loved it. I realized through it all, the Martin wasnt lacking, it was simply my knowledge that was lacking, and the set up wasnt right to do the job. Curiosity made me make new arrows tuned for it, and go hunting. It killed deer just as effectively as the Widow. I could have saved a lot of money, had I known the widow wasnt magic or necessity, though she was beautiful and a Cadillac. I eventually sold both, but today, i know price isnt everything in a hunting bow.

Do your research, and see where and what you will get for your money. A couple new long bows to look at, are Maddogs, and Omega. For their price of $300-$350, they will be hard to beat. As mentioned, Samick makes great starter bows too, but for the price difference between them and a maddog, the maddog will always be a better deal for what you get, and they are custom made by a great American bowyer, by his own 2 hands. Its much the same story for an Omega bow. Good luck on your search!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
One longbow maker who builds high performing longbows at affordable costs is Kegan McCabe of Omega Longbows. Very high quality and performance without the cost adding bling. Nice young man too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
1500 bucks will by you 3 or 4 top of the line longbows used of all different kinds. Keep the one you like and sell the rest.RC

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
Just a question, why not hunt with the bear longbow you have been shooting?

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
To answer your question. I would look at Fox bows by Ron King. If I were looking to upgrade with that budget, that is where I would look.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
Toelke would be my first choice, then probably a Robertson Stykbow.  I couldn't count the longbows I've owned or shot and my Toelke is #1.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Since we haven't heard from the OP since his first post, we have to wonder if he's still interested?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 03:52:00 AM »
If you have been shooting a Montana or a Patriot, you would love a Robertson.  I know of a couple in Iowa that you could try out. Where you at?

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 06:03:00 AM »
Got my first really good longbow out of the classifieds here. A Tolke whip. I realized I liked it so much I bought one from Dan Toelke and sold the other one to someone who was just getting started. The classifieds here are a great place to start.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©