3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3-D's and string walking?  (Read 496 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
3-D's and string walking?
« on: April 06, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
I've been practicing string walking and have been able to shoot point on from 15 yards to 35 yards. My question is this: if I'm not turning in my score and just want to string walk on courses where it's prohibited would people object? I can't see why anyone would. The only people who would know would be the archers I was shooting with. I don't want to break the rules, but if I'm not turning in my card I'm not sure why it would matter. If the consensus is that I shouldn't do this, I can just shoot a fixed crawl with a point on at 25 yards.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3-D's and string walking?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
There is always some busybody who might ask, and it might be annoying for you to have to explain.  But other than that, if you don't plan to turn in a score, I don't see why you couldn't use any shooting style you want.

I really like the fixed crawl, but also like to turn in my scores, so I have developed a face-walking system that seems to work as well for me, and is legal for all the tournaments I shoot in.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Interesting, Dave. Can you expand on the face walking technique?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
Additionally, I wasn't sure if string walking would be viewed similarly as possession of a range finder. For example, on some courses, simply possessing a range finder can get you disqualified, whether you use it or not. I don't use a range finder on 3-d courses. If I did, it would be to check my distance estimation following all shooters shots on target. However, mere possession could get you disqualified, so I don't use one nor would I. It's just as easy to step off the distance, after the fact, to accomplish the same thing.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
String walking has its own division in IBO called recurve unaided. And if you don't turn in a score card nobody should care what you do,
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
What I'd do is ask the people running the shoot before you go out.  Have them mark the card so it can't be entered for score and go at it.

BTW stepping off yardage is also illegal in most shoots.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
My normal anchor is the feather touching the bottom of my nose, and my thumb knuckle on a certain place on my jaw.  This gives me a point-on of 45 yards, + or -, depending on the bow and arrow I'm shooting.  

When I learned to use the fixed crawl, I was able to get a 25 yard point on.  Alternatively, if I use my normal 3 under grip, but move my anchor up to where my index and middle fingers are on the top and bottom of my cheekbone under my eye, and the string hits a certain spot on my eyebrow, I have the same 25 yard point-on I would get with the fixed crawl.

I'm learning to use this pretty well, so I decided to experiment with anchoring my hand under my chin, Olympic style, and the string touching my nose for long shots, which gives me a 70 yard point-on.  I'm not very accurate with this yet, but more accurate than holding 10' or so above the target, which I would need to do to make a 70 yard shot using my regular anchor.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
What I'd do is ask the people running the shoot before you go out.  Have them mark the card so it can't be entered for score and go at it.

BTW stepping off yardage is also illegal in most shoots.

Mike
Thanks and good advice. I've never stepped off distances after everyone shoots the target either, but I didn't realize that's illegal too. Since I don't do it, it's not an issue. Good to know though.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
Very interesting, Dave. Thanks for the info!

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
At one time I had two knocking points on my string, and changed from three under and split finger release for different ranges. Worked great but was as big of hassle as using a single pin sight on a wheel bow. Since I really want my 3D to impove my hunting capabilities, I chucked the idea and went back to a single knocking point and three under.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
I string walk. If the course doesn't allow it (I check at registration) I don't take a scorecard. I save a couple bucks as well.

Funny thing rules. Most people want them as simple and few as possible until they think someone is getting an advantage. Then the rules grow in complexity.

I wonder if canting vs. a vertical bow should be a rule?

How about bow limb length?

Arrow weight?

Tis the season (in my life) that the rules get read back to me almost daily.  The same person who wants few rules asks next,  "Show me in the rules that I can't do that."

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
I'd go with Mike's advice.  I'm a crawler and unless it's some kind of sanctioned event they usually tell me they don't care what black art I'm employing to aim.  We used to shoot the "fun" rounds mentioned and they were sometimes less than the competitive entry fees.  Because the fun scores weren't published I understand the clubs wanting to get the "advertising" by publishing all scores to let folks know the actual size of the trad contingent to attract more participants.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
Good point, Charles. I'm using the point on for the extended ranges we see on 3-d's courses, ranges I would never shoot while hunting. Then, when late summer comes around, my intention is to tie in a hard one fixed crawl and shoot that distance and closer.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
I've given an explanation at the registration table and when handed a score card, I wrote "void" in large letters across the card. Anyone asks about a shooting style that's different, just show them the card. All is well after that.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Do it. What are they going to do? Come out on the course and arrest you? Who would care especially since you're not keeping score and don't have a score card? If I were shooting with you, I couldn't care less.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©