3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Basic hunting bow advice  (Read 520 times)

Offline The Paperboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Basic hunting bow advice
« on: April 06, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
So I was recommended this site by a friend and wow what a wealth of knowledge on here! I'm sure this is a question asked often but after conducting some searches I couldn't find much apologies in advance I suppose.

I have been shooting my 40# samick sage for about a year and a half now and have really gotten to enjoy shooting, and even the thought of hunting (going for turkey for the first time in a few weeks!)

I'm planning on upgrading in a month or so and getting a new bow specifically the Bear Grizzly but am unsure of what draw weight I want to get it at. It will be a hunting bow for me and I want it to be a very adaptable bow to be able to hunt everything from whitetail to black bear to elk and maybe just maybe someday a big ole moose; I was thinking in either 50# or 55# but would love some advice!

Little bit about myself I'm 6'1" and about 160# I have a draw length of 29.25 inches you can round either way really.
I understand I won't be able to hunt with the bow for a bit as I will have to train my muscles for the new draw weight just don't know which one to get 50 seems to be popular but don't know the pros vs the cons.

TL;DR

I have a draw length of 29.25"; been shooting a 40# recurve; want a new bear grizzly; want advice on draw weight for a all around hunting now for deer, black bear, elk, turkey little of everything.

A bonus would be an arrow recommendation mainly spine variant.

Thanks in advance for the help  :D

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Basic hunting bow advice
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Welcome to the traditional addiction. First off, let me begin by saying I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer." That said, a 10-15 pound jump in draw weight is huge in the traditional realm. Buying that one perfect bow to cover all big game animals is a process in strength development and an increase in shooting prowess. That takes a lot of time,  learning what you like in a bow and what works for your shooting style. My advice would be to buy a used bow off the classifieds, or elsewhere, with a weight increase of no more than 3-5 lbs at a time. Once you build up strength enough to shoot the poundage adequate for truly big game (IMHO that would be #52-#55 minimum), and to shoot that poundage really well, you're really ready to buy your big game bow. The only reason I'm saying this is that if you buy this bow now, in the poundage you're recommending, you will be tempted to pull it out and shoot it. If you do that before you develop your strength and shooting skills, you will be over-bowed and develop poor shooting habits.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey!

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Grizzly is a good choice. Been a popular work horse longer than many of us have been on this earth. 50# is also a popular weight. Its heavy enough for everything you listed, and more. But still light enough for most grown men to draw slowly...very slowly! As you'll be doing in some hunting situations. Unfortunately only you can answer as to if its enough weight or too much for you. If there's any way you can get your hands on one to try, do it. You'd be amazed at where you can find trad stores, odds are theres one not more than an hours drive from you. If you're 6'1" 160, assuming in good health and good shape, plus shooting 40# for so long, I personally doubt the weight will take too much getting used too. Just warm up with the sage for a few rounds, then ease into the grizzly.
For arrows.... woop doggy, thats a whole different can of worms. What do you want to shoot? Wood, carbon, aluminum? Cut to draw or full length? Etc.
welcome to tradgang! Your buddy was right, this place is great!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Longbow fanatic types faster than me! Haha. And his advice is also gold, a very good direction to take as well!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Spend a couple bucks and become a Contributor here. Once done you can access the used bows for sale here and you will find everything you need....at a great price!!  There are some great bows for sale by TRUSTWORTHY people that will help you with advice on the bow to help you get up a shooting quickly.  Pick one that fits your needs at around 50#'s at your draw and go for it. If it turns out that you don't like it just put it back up for sale,get your money back and try another.  Be careful...it's addictive.  

Welcome to Trad Gang.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Used Grizzly's in the mid 40's are plentiful and not very expensive. You can usually sell it for what you paid for it. You don't want to try to jump 10-15 pounds at one time.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Buy heavier limbs for the Samick. It's as good as or better than  the Bear and it won't cost as much.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline The Paperboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
I shoot carbons uncut since I have a longer draw length but I'll be honest I don't know much about why and when to cut an arrow down, spines, arrow total weight or much of that I'm shooting carbon express center shot traditionally (500) with a 125 grain head on the front out of my 40# bow. I'm not really brand loyal at this point since when I bought all of this I was only conserned with getting a decent setup for a decent price and learning to shoot. Thanks for the advice I'll start looking at 45s too and or maybe see about finding a place to test one out and see if 50 is to much for me.

I can comfortably draw my buddy's 65 pound compound if that means anything I know they have let off but the initially draw isn't much of a struggle for me.

With that said I guess the follow up question would be should I be working towards 50 or is 55 a better bow or even the larger 60s a few years down the road? Also for buying a used bow anything I should be looking out for? Specifically the grizzlys

Offline The Paperboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
Red beast master I thought about that but liked how the grizzly was only 58" so it would be (most likely marginally) easier to maneuver. Also there's the nostalgia of owning a piece of americana.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Buy heavier limbs for the Samick. It's as good as or better than  the Bear and it won't cost as much.
Ditto.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
If memory serves, a Grizzly is a 58-inch bow.  It will handle a 29 plus inch draw, but a longer bow will be more pleasant to shoot, IMO.  

My guess is your Sage is longer.  I agree with the recommendation to just get heavier Sage limbs.  If you're not going to be hunting anything bigger than turkeys for a while, no need to rush into it.  Your current bow has enough punch for turkeys.  

Go to some trad shoots if you can and try out a few different bows to get a feel for the type of bow you like.  Good luck.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
Maneuverability was something a salesman came up with!

Seriously, I hunt with a 66" longbow just as easily as I do with my 58" recurve. Longer bows draw smoother, especially at your long draw.

Whatever you decide, good luck! And welcome to the other side!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
Hey PB, welcome! I took the hands on approach, shooting bows at Cloverdale here in Indiana. I pulled this from another thread here at TG. It's worth the travel time to me to do the hands-on shooting and get advice from someone in person.

Hi all. The 2 day trad shoot in Coshocton is Here!
it is May 21st and May 22 2016.
here is the link to the flyer:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207100358164707&set=a.1112048598783.2018310.1153935657&type=3&theater
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
If you like the sage, I would get a couple sets of limbs for it say a set of 45# and a 50 or 55#. and step up.  You cannot go wrong with a Grizzly. They have been around for ever and still shoot very well.

when it comes moose time put on some 55lb limbs and fill the freezer. For now 40 lbs is plenty for turkey and whitetail. See the 40-45lb kill thread its a fantastic confidence builder.

I would never tell anyone not to buy another bow. We all need at least one more bow, but keep in mind that the sage is a pretty decent bow and very versatile.  I have killed several animals using 45-55 lb limbs.

Best of luck and welcome to your new time money and thought consuming addiction!

Post pics of your turkeys!

Mike
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
DON"T give in to the super light bow paradigm dogmatically. Shoot the weight you want, if it feels a little too heavy at first, do a few dozen push-ups every night.  The cool thing about muscles is how they can be built up pretty simply with a little effort. Unless you're really really struggling with a #50 or #55 bow it is not an unreasonable jump at all; you perception of felt weight will have to adjust.  How you shoot kind of dictates that (quickly or slowly).  This kind of shooting is a lot of fun, and there isn't really a rule book, despite how it may appear, although I consider having fun to be a keystone rule in archery.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Hankem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Thumper Dunker:

Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Ditto. [/b]
3X

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 04:05:00 AM »
I started a kid off last year that was about 6' with a 55 pound recurve, away from a 55 pound compound.  He listened well and watched his anchor and got his first deer.  I cannot begin to tell you how strong and fit you are.   Warm up and don't over shoot.  I can say that at a 29" draw you would be happier with a longer bow or one that is smoother at your draw length.  The Martin Freedom, formerly called the x200, would fit you better.

Offline The Paperboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Hey thank you everyone for all the help, it seems a 50 or 55 are both equally capable with the 55 having an edge in really large game and the 50 having the edge in shootability since my first hunting year is mainly going to be whitetail and turkey I probably pick up the 45 limbs for the sage unless a deal crosses my path for a similar grizzly that I can't refuse and wait to go to a shoot where I can try some other bows out and get a feel for the higher draw weights.

I'll try and find that thread for 40/45 kills to

And I figured it would be worth the money to be a contributor on here I'll look into that as well!

Good luck on the goblers to all look forward to showing the trophies if I get any this season!!

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
If you're dead set on traditional archery, I must make a pitch for the classifieds here. I think it was mentioned already. For I think... $30(?) a year, you have access to what seems to me to be one of, if not the, best classified sections in traditional archery. Your odds of being "scammed" are essentially zero. There's a ton of bows on there, plus you can put up a "Want to buy" add on there and see what turns up. Buy a bow, try it, if you want to move it along, just list it again and sell it. You're essentially going to eat the shipping cost, but there's a lot of guys here who have owned, shot, and sold a ton of bows, its fun! I used to say if you buy/sell even a few things on there over the course of the year, you will more than make your money back that you paid to subscribe to them for the year. I've done other classifieds, but probably won't again with an exception or two. You'll find what you're looking for there.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
I to would go with a longer bow, to me anything under 60" is to short, you would shoot better with a 62 or 64" no finger pinch and smoother draw.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©