3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Basic hunting bow advice  (Read 522 times)

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Basic hunting bow advice
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Buy a heavier set of Samick Journey limbs, due to  your longer draw length. A 45# set of Journey limbs (makes a 64" bow) will be about 47-50 lbs at your draw length- depending on the specs of the limbs.  They will fit on your Sage riser.  Will need a 64" amo string.
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline redshedbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
Can you try a bunch of different bows (or check Craigslist).  I have some high end bows by people like HolmMadetraditionalbows.com, and each bow has different properties that make it shootable for you the individual archery.  For some a grizzly is great, while others it is a black widow or nothing and the next it can be a Ben Paerson Pinto from 1963.  In the endif you want a Bear, get a bear.  Just find some place or someone who has one.  Start a topic that says your state and desire to shoot a Bear Grizzly.  

That said...I am a 31" draw and short bows get real twitchy.  But I pluck and am a 3 under shooter.

Have fun in the journey!
Here are a few things about me:

I enjoy Hunting, fishing, raising goats, biking and kayaking. Love living life with my wife and 4 kids out in the country.

Here are my bows and such:
~ Black Widow Bows 66" PLX Longbow 47.5@31"  161fps with 600gr arrow
~ St. Patrick Lake Longbows (SwiftStyk ~ 64" (50#@31" = 161fps 600gr arrow)
~ Hitman Traditional Stykbows #1 (Recurve) (63" 52lb @31") ~

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Well if you are in the market for a bow I would definitely give the classified on Tradgang a good look...it's worth every penny of the $30 fee. Imo the grizzly isn't the best bang for your buck.
I've shot and killed animals with bows 45-74lbs and have found the 55ish pound mark to be right for me. Anything below 50 starts having string clearance/release concerns and anything more than 60 gives me trouble when freezing cold etc...i can shoot heavier weights well also but awkward positions can be tougher (i.e. Whitetails from a treestand)

I see that you are on Hawaii...fallow deer are on the menu and I would go with 55# and not 50#

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
... Oh and with your draw length I wouldn't shoot anything less than 60"

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »
If you can afford the extra money I would go with a Super Kodiak which is 60". I draw a smidge over 28" and I would not go under 60". I have custom bows as well as a Sage and the sage shoots as accurately as most of my bows.You will notice a difference going from 62" down to 58".
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »
If you want save your self some money take the Samick sage route . Its a decent bow for the money. The amount spend on the grizzly you could get gear that you need glove, quiver, arrows, and arm guard.  I am weary to mention Bear, I had bad  experience with the Grizzy in particular as it delaminated, and popped on me. The newer Bear ows are subcontracted to Escalade Sports if I remember right. Do not rush your self be sure to pick up books , and other stuff and learn. Good form will always trump weight.
Good luck
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©