3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Plea to ALL Trad Retailers....BIG or small....  (Read 618 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
A Plea to ALL Trad Retailers....BIG or small....
« on: April 07, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Hey all.

Just one tiny thing I'd like to impart to any and all those that are engaged in the business of TRAD ARCHERY, please answer your email.

If you are going to have a website or at minimum an email address that you put up as a way for your customers to contact you, give us all the respect by ANSWERING your emails.

I know things happen and you get behind. That's NOT an excuse to IGNORE your emails that your customers tried to send you to make it easier on you instead of calling. I don't know about any others on this board, but nothing turns me off a seller quicker than having my email ignored day after day and then never getting a reply. When that happens I usually try 1 more email and if the same thing happens, I'm GONE. I'll find somewhere else to patronize even if it does cost a bit more. I'll take a shop that is attentive to their customers but charges a bit more any day to one that has bargain basement prices but never responds to email inquiries.

I've got one suggestion for those guys and gals that hate email.  Don't list an email address!!  Simple.

You may return to your regularly scheduled programming!!

Nalajr

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Plea to ALL Trad Retailers....BIG or small....
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
you've obviously had some bad experiences. I've visited a few web sites which were not very enlightening, but by and large I've had very good response from the sponsors I've e-mailed. In fact, all but one or two have been way above average in responsiveness.

Maybe your post will spur those who have disappointed you. As you pointed out, there are many suppliers offering similar products so I don't blame you for moving on.

Me? I just feel very lucky to have received the great service I've experienced so far.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Nala, I feel your pain, but to play devil's advocate for a moment. Bear in mind many of the folks who own and operate traditional archery shops and businesses. Websites and email may be somewhat obscure or too "techy" for them. Or they're a very small operation and just get very busy. I talk to 2 people on the phone in this world, my wife (when needed) and my mother every Wednesday and Sunday. I hate talking on the phone. But some venues of life are more prone to needing a phone call and this seems to me to be one of them. If an email isn't returned in a business day or 2, I just call and explain that i tried to email. Its usually a simple misunderstanding like a spam folder or a crashed computer, etc. Sorry, I know you're venting, and Im not marginalizing it, just don't want an angry mob to form here.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
Completely agree... Don't answer my email or a voice mail.  I am done.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
Yep. I was going to place an order with a sponsor here some time back; called, left two messages, and emailed. Haven't heard from him yet. Strangely enough, sponsors who respond to me have had me order stuff from them. Lots of great sponsors out there that really do want my business, and get back to me.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
I have not had your experience yet but fully understand. I do notice that a couple of vendors here actully post when they are away from shop. Some list show, shoot schedules when their away on their website. IMO that comes from business experience. i do buy from one vendor that takes phone orders only. But the longest I waited for a call back was an hour.
Bowyers could be another story. Although I have had no issues there either.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
if e-mail it too techy for you then as stated don't list one..if your going to have a business you have to make the effort to answer the phone or have a answering machine and return messages.. its been awhile but I have had the same experience with a couple bowyers in the past..
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Just about any email system can be set up to provide an auto response.  When I was In a business that required me to be away from the office pretty much all day every day, my email auto responded that I would reply to all emails within 24 hours.  

Same thing with the voice mail since I was always in poor service areas or in situations where answering the phone was impractical.

If a customer made an issue of my system, I "uncustomered" them.   :biglaugh:  

Auto response can also be used to explain situations where it will not be possible to respond for an extended period.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
My thought on this matter is if they're hard to get in touch with when you are looking to buy something, where are they going to be if you have a problem with their goods????

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Monterey, I think you hit the nail on the head.  SOME kind of response, even if it's a message on the phone recorder or an auto-reply from an email system that explains when a response will be given is just fine...as long as a real response is then done within that time frame.

All of us know that many of these operations are one or two person shops, but to me, that does not excuse ignoring calls and emails.  Personally, if I don't get some kind of response in a couple days, I don't even give a second chance, I'm moving on.  They may be busy, but so are WE.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
I fortunately have had only good experience with the ones I have contact. Wish I could give them shout out for their responsiveness to my Q/A. I do have respect for them ,and their desire to focus to sell Traditional Tackle. I am sorry for your experience with unresponsive vendors. Like some others said don't be afraid to walk away from vendors who don't respond. Good luck  :archer:
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
I agree. Being located away from the states with relatively few avenues of support means that first response and confidence in my supplier is paramount.

I guess that it is also personality specific. I have interacted with bowyers having a 14 month build list who were happy answering questions while some do not bother to reply. Same with trad suppliers and I guess all others.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
I currently am experiencing this as well.  I like the company and really like the product so I will be patient.  Plus I am not sure when using the company's link if I could have done something wrong.  In this case not that big of deal, I'll just call them someday.
G
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
I had an email issue once with a very small company when I tried to make a purchase (not bow related). I placed my order as usual on their website, everything seemed OK, then I waited for two weeks (usually this company turns around an order in less than a week). No order received. So I tried email. No response for another two weeks. So I called them. Turned out their website and website connected email had "frozen" (I'm not real techy so don't know what that really meant) but they had not seen my order or the subsequent email due to the website malfunction. They were very happy to be informed of the problem. In fact, they were so happy that they doubled my order but only charged me for the original quantity.

So, my advice is to try email if listed but then get on the phone after a more-than-reasonable time has elapsed. Almost always this has been the best approach for me.
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
I make my living on the Internet and customer service for my business is paramount so I answer emails multiple times per day. Sometimes tho the persons isp will actually block the emails I send in reply, verizon, aol and gmail seem to be my worst offenders. If the person emails me again and I resend the answer they usually get it the second time.

However, if I send an email through a form on the businesses website and never receive a reply, I usually move on from there if I can find a suitable alternative to what I was looking for. Those form messages are never blocked, they are built into the website. I have had a couple sponsors here never answer my form sent questions. I still might buy from them, but no rush.

I'm with Nala here.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
I agree with Nala.  There are a couple of vendors I've dealt with though who state on their websites that e-mail may be a day or two because they are making bows. I'm cool with that...one might be mine!

I'm not an archery vendor but I spend (unfortunately some times) at least 4 hours per weekday answering or sending e-mails.  

I turn the machine off at EOB and weekends though. I know some folks who will answer e-mail, phone, text every waking hour.  Not me.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
I agree I sadly have bid farwell to the very company that got me interested in trad and have turned to other bowers for that very reason
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
I had to give up on a vendor that was just too hard to get a hold of when I needed something. It's been three weeks since I emailed him,and nothing. Who knows if he's going to get back to me or not,I had to go elsewhere. It's very frustrating,and I understand if it's just a side thing,but you have to do better than that.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Unanswered emails are frustrating. In my "day job", (an automation company) we are sticklers about it, we answer emails literally CONSTANTLY.

That said.....many of our vendors here get a bad rap for not responding fast enough. Many of these folks are 1 people shows...they are busy building things, not checking in to their computer. We aren't dealing with Cabelas. These are home town artesian craftsman. I forgive a lot of slow communication.

By the way....how many of you have regular contact with an attorney or an accountant? Thooooose folks are slow.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
I spent all my working life in jobs that required a strong consideration for customer service, and it is one of the most important requirements for success. A couple of vendors here have lost business from me for lack of prompt response. People usually don't mind waiting for shipment of goods as long as they get a quick response to their inquiries.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©