3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Perfect Morning Out  (Read 419 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Perfect Morning Out
« on: October 20, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
Cool in the low 50's and I decided to try a 20 acre patch of private land I have permission on next to 1000 acres of natural areas where there isn't any hunting.
With 10 minutes of light in the sky a nice doe with her two young of the year snuck in behind and caught my scent.  She proceeded to wheeze for sometime until she found the courage to pass by on quickly to where she wanted to take them.  
I moved on from there to another spot further on and saw a couple of white flags jumping away when getting to where I wanted to be.  Might as well stay about an hour to see if anything else will come through.  All in all 7 more deer moved past in bow range.  A couple made me and bugged out.  A few never knew I was there.  And one, well, she was difficult to be patient to wait out but worth the time to.  I learned this morning for the first time in using a homemade hickory bow, or any traditional bare bow for that matter, that an arrow in flight is a beautiful site when released at a deer.  It is still just as pretty when it soars harmlessly over her back.  
I know that I would have dragged meat out this morning using the latest and greatest technology but I have no regrets walking out empty handed but full of experience.  This was hunting the way I've been wanting to for a long time.
Christopher

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Perfect Morning Out
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Sounds like a good morning.  My son and I bumped two this morning (at least) before first light.  In my spot, I had a pair pass by around 20 yards or so, but had no shot at them - they were back in some heavy stuff.

A bit later, I was still hunting and crept to withing 5 feet of a couple (also back in some heavy stuff).  The wind (lots of it) was in my favor, so I don't think they heard or smelled me.  Anyway, I saw one of the two does but she was blending so well and standing so still that I was only about 80% sure that it was even a deer in there.  Since 80% isn't quite 100% I didn't shoot but rather stood there for about 3-4 minutes trying to get sure.  Eventually, they had enough and boogied off into the deep brambles.

Later (after bumping yet another deer) we flushed 4-5 pheasant hens and one rooster.  Around that area, my son got a shot (but missed - heh) at a squirrel.  I never drew my bow today, but it was  a really good one nonetheless.  :-D

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I would rather miss one with a trad bow than kill ten with a compound.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
I was doing some gound work today and had a Doe and her young within 20 yds, its a great feeling
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
Good morning for me as well.  Saw 5 different bucks and 2 does.  Turkeys were making a lot of racket as well.
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©