3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A question re: up front weighting and moose hunt setup  (Read 261 times)

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
A question re: up front weighting and moose hunt setup
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
I have an Alberta moose hunt scheduled for 2017. I will be taking my three piece BigJim Desert Bighorn on this hunt. It is 60" 50# @ 28". Because my bow may be considered marginal by some for this animal, I decided to switch to a heavier CX 250 arrow. After bare shaft tuning, I ended up with a 30.5" arrow that flew very well with a 300 grn field point. And while I'm not excited about 2+" extending beyond my handle, the setup seems to be working well. Two questions: Is there any difference/advantage in penetration between a 300 grn broadhead with no inserts as opposed to say a 200 grn broadhead with 100 grn insert. And, what are your thoughts on my setup for this hunt?

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A question re: up front weighting and moose hunt setup
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
I should also mention my former setup was Cx150's cut to 29" with a 145 grn broadhead. I believe I was just around 10 grns per #. The CX250 setup puts me just over 12 grns per#. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
You could get more FOC by switching to a lighter gpi arrow and have most of the weight upfront.  Gold tip warriors in a .400 spine are considerably lighter than many other .400s. This cx250s are around 10.2 gpi I believe and the warriors are around 8.2. So technically you'd get a higher percentage foc. And maybe a shorter arrow with the Warriors being .400 and the cx being .390

Anyways your arrow should be fine with 100 grain inserts. I shoot similar set ups with various inserts and points to total 225 and didn't notice any differences in flight or bare shaft.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Theoretically, the more consolidated (i.e. shorter) the up front weight, the more FOC it yields.  However, the difference is very small and probably not noticeable with the set up you're taking about.

I'd definitely go with the heavier arrow.  BTW, I shoot 12 gpp on almost all my setups, not just for big critters.

I do think that 50# is on the light side for moose, but it will get the job done if you do your part.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©