3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Sage "died"  (Read 787 times)

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
My Sage "died"
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
Thursday I received Bear quiver inserts from 3 Rivers, and installed them in my Samick Sage riser.  I was also thinking about camoing it up for turkeys, since cosmetics dont matter so much on a budget bow. I was stringing it up, with a stringer, to feel out the quiver being closer to my hand and I heard a dull pop.  I thought a limb bolt wasnt tight and the limb shifted, but they were tight.  I gave the riser a quick look over, then strung it again.  As soon as I gripped the handle, I felt the crack through the riser.  I carefully unstrung it and pulled the limbs off. The crack follows the inside corner of the shelf, down the grip, and across away from the shelf.

I have not been rough on the bow and my new inserts are nowhere near the crack, so I think its just a failure, but I loved it for the 4-5 years I had it.  It was a good investment over all.  But Im still upset that it failed.  Oh well life goes on.  I know the failure could have been much worse.

Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Sage "died"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Dang!  

I guess all good things must come to an end?
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »
If you are going to camo it why not just fix it? Fill the crack with 420 superglue and for extra power run a couple brass pins or bolts through the riser with a really heavy duty epoxy. I used to have several old surplus bolt actions that had those installed after the stock cracked. Bet it would work for your bow. Probably cost you all of 15 bucks and some elbow grease.

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
So sorry RJ, hopefully it can be fixed.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
I wouldn't try to fix that. A rifle stock is a static piece of wood.  There is alot of stress being put onto the riser of a bow, especially right on the fulcrum of the whole thing. Sage risers aren't too expensive (<$75.00).  That is a lot better an option than eating some actionwood when it gives way at full draw.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:50:00 PM »
That stinks! Well that's a good excuse for a new bow!

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:46:00 AM »
Buy a new riser!
samuel koger

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:06:00 AM »
I figure I could find a riser for it since theyre about $75, maybe cheaper if I go used.  Luckily I have two other bows to use in the mean time.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 05:43:00 AM »
Did you (or anyone) ever dry fire the bow?

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
Happens to both budget bows and the most expensive. It did you well, use it for a saltwater fish club now?
David M. Conroy

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by koger:
Buy a new riser!
Yep; cheapest way out...unless you just want an excuse for another bow!
SWA Spyder

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
While researching the sirius riser on another forum I found that Lancaster Archery had a rh victor riser on sale for $29.99 so I ordered one. Got my victor riser this and put my 50# sage limbs on it and the weight came in at 49#  the riser is 24" so the bow came out at 66" but it feels and shoots good. So here is a very reasonably priced riser option.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Here's a copy of a post I put ont the bowyers feed.
 OK I built a new string and the bow ended up at 66" nock to nock and 49.43 lbs at 28". The six shot average with fingers and 28" draw was 165 fps with a 510 grain arrow for 10.32 gr per pound. It has a 12 strand 63" UltraCam string. Brace height was 7.5". It would make a good cheap starter bow or an upgrade from a youth bow. Stats and FD curve

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Cartel sells a riser that works good too, Google "carsage bow"
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
That crack is not uncommon. I am somewhat surprised to see it happened on a multi layered (Actionwood) type riser.
Yes a good excuse to get a new riser. But I still have fixed an old bow with wood screws and epoxy before as well.

Offline kmshfa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
My sage riser broke very similar but came from the result of an unintended dry fire. Too large nock left arrow behind at full draw without notice.   It was a nock I had hit with another arrow, was bent back into shape. A new nock would have been cheaper than a riser. Live and learn.  The crack showed up the next day.  I replaced with a new sage riser.

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
Remove the limb mount brackets. Throw the riser in the trash. PM me your address. I will send you a riser sans brackets in a couple days.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
:clapper:    
Remove the limb mount brackets. Throw the riser in the trash. PM me your address. I will send you a riser sans brackets in a couple days.
jrstegner   :clapper:    :shaka:

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
Jrstegner, youre my hero now.

It had not been dry fired, and stored in closets and my basement hanging up.

I had dropped it from a treestand this past deer season, but some branches slowed it down as it fell, and it fell on pretty thick leaf cover, onto the quiver, so I doubt that caused the crack.  But who knows.

Jrstegner, thanks again.  Ill pm you now.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Good thing your hearing is good enough to hear that crack.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©