3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Face Masks  (Read 900 times)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Face Masks
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
How many of you guys that hunt ground blinds wear a face mask? And does it interfere with your anchor? I tried shooting with one on today, and since I anchor with my middle finger at the corner of my mouth it's a bit awkward. Now I'm debating on using face paint or switching to a different style mask.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Face Masks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
I felt the same way.  So this past fall I did use face paint, and kept a sealable box of baby wipes in my truck to clean up with.

Lately I have started to finish my draw with my thumb knuckle behind my jaw so I may try it with a tight face mask again.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:15:00 AM »
quit wearing them a royal pain in the posterior when it comes to finding your anchor.. either use that black face paint or used to use a burnt cork and rub on my face which works very well and comes off pretty easy..a face mask caused me to loose a shot on a 165 in. buck one really cold winter day so that was the end of all face mask wearing.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:14:00 AM »
When I do wear a mask its useally a half of a mask, it only goes half way up to cover up to my nose. When I'm ready to shoot I pull it down pass my chin, than take my shot. But normally I don't wear one.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »
I wear the face mask that came with my leafy suit and have never noticed that it effects my anchor in any way.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
For pop-up blinds that are blacked out inside I use a black silk balaclava,fits snug and is comfortable, If not in a blind I use a mesh style head net, neither one messes with my anchor.
   The main thing is practice with them on and get comfortable with the feel.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
I wear a Predator mask, doesn't bother me at all.
SWA Spyder

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
I wear a fabric hood that covers both the head and face. It is lightweight and does not affect my draw or my ability to reach my anchor.
Sam

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
I wear a homemade mask out of deerskin and it does not interfere. It hangs loose near the mouth and the fingers slip past it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
I never could get comfortable shooting with a mask.
I used them a bit but have gone back to face paint.

The paint is much easier to take off then the old grease paint.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
I use a 3/4 bandito mask with the bendable metal frame around the eyes.  I have never had a problem with them interfering with my anchor.  I just push in against the mask to hit my anchor.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
I hunt exclusively on the ground with a ghillie and always put my mask on.  Never had an issue shooting with it.  I did realize the past couple of years that even with a mask I also have to put on camo make-up to cover areas that the mask doesn't cover - especially with turkeys.  As you can see, my mask is  pretty tight fitting so really doesn't get in the way.  I anchor with the middle finger in the corner of my mouth.

Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
I use a Buff as a partial facemask in warm and cold weather. It fits very snug and does not seem to affect my anchor (middle finger, corner of mouth).
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
I never wear a mask while in an enclosed ground blind because i use the shoot-thru netting in the windows. If I am in a brush blind or treestand, I will wear one. I usually wear a leafy-flage suit with headnet for those times.

Bisch

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Been wearing a face mask since 1970 while deer and turkey hunting. Never had a problem with anchor or visibility. The early face paints or burnt cork were a pain to remove back then. I particularly like the full mask with the flexible aluminum frame around the eyes.Its called the Quaker Boy Elite Bandit. You seldom see them in stores so I have started buying on line direct from Quaker Boy. Buy two at a time and they last me 4 or 5 years minimum.    :campfire:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
don't like face maskes..messes with my anchor.
I use carbomask.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Paint for me lotsa stripes
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
I've worn a face mask for years, many years. Thicker ones in cold weather, mesh in warmer weather. No issues with anchor.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
I've used carbonmask or burnt cork for years because of eyeglasses and fog. But I also will wear a mask at times and I like the HS leafy head net, for me it works great.  Trim a few leafs while practicing and go hunting! I'm not using a blind though.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
I have a leafy suit so I may see if I can get a head net that matches it. Maybe it will be a little better, and if not I can still use it for predator hunting. I've already got plenty of face paint so I'll just keep playing around and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the replies!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©