3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Sure Do Love Turkey Hunting UPDATE PICS AND STORIES FINISHED PG.3/4  (Read 1572 times)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Sure Do Love Turkey Hunting UPDATE PICS AND STORIES FINISHED PG.3/4
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
Great Stories...

Nice photos...

Congrats to you and to Mr. Allen as well.
Irv Eichorst

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Congratulations Dalton, I enjoy your posts!  :thumbsup:  

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Very nice!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Sorry for the delay guys, this week has been a whirlwind. When a feller is too busy to be on Tradgang, hes too busy.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
I went out last friday, day number 6 of the season to some property that i had just gotten access too. This spring was different for me as i lost 2 or 3 of my honey-holes i have enjoyed for many years. Some were due to land being sold, others to marraiges in the family, and the sorry joker marrying in hunts, you know same ol' same ol'.

This put me in a panic and i immediately went to trying to find more places to hunt, and wearing my boots out on public ground trying to find some birds, both efforts were successful.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
The property i was on is my soon to be father-in-law's, and let me tell you its gorgeous. Ethan and  I had barely made it up the first hill behind a beautiful little cabin and found scratching, everywhere.

There are no fields on this place, all hardwoods, so when i saw a saddle in a ridge i knew where to head. I dont care what youre hunting, you can kill it in a saddle, everything goes through saddles.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
We got up to the high end of the saddle, and brought out that ol' obnoxious glass call and ripped into it.

Halfway through the yelp i thought i heard a gobble cutting me off but i wasnt sure. I stopped calling looked at ethan and said was that a bird? he said he didnt hear anything.

I tried again and was pretty sure he cut me off again, but again Ethan said i didnt hear anything! I said you're dumb i know i heard a bird!

He laughed and said I cant hear anything because that stupid call is so flippin loud!

We had a good laugh and i said look im going over here and you stay here and listen, he agreed, and i stepped off the hill just a bit and hit the call again.

This time, two birds gobbled, and better than that a hen started cutting, yelping and throwing a fit from the same place the birds gobbled! I knew she would be the key to pulling it off.

We went into panic mode, got in the middle of the saddle and got the decoys out and blind up, and hit the call again.

They all 3 answered again, and that hen didnt shut up, she yelped, cut and cackled all the way up the hill.

I dont know what i said to that ol' girl, but i really pissed her off i reckon.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
She came to the top of the hill, and marched her butt, still yelping and cutting all the way into the decoys. All that yelping and cutting had the toms tore up, they gobbled almost constantly.

It wasnt but just a few seconds later i could see a fan and a patriotic colored head topping the ridge. I figured as soon as he saw marvin, he was going to run down to him and give him the Holly Holm treatment.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
I was wrong though, he just stood up there and strutted and gobbled.

He finally worked his way down the hill, but to our surprise he worked off to our right down in a hollar about 30-40 yards from us and just kept strutting and gobbling.

I didnt know what the heck was going on. But go on it did, for what seemed like forever that bird just stood there and went in and out of strut.

I was quiet for a while, knowing he had seen the decoys and knew we were here, and i figured i would let him work in. But after a long time i just started calling like a madman. I figured i was going to annoy him enough to either come up here or walk off, either one was better than the torture of watching and hearing him strut in a hollar.

After he gobbled a bunch it got quiet for a bit. I heard something sound like dragging behind the blilnd and took a peak out the back of the blind and the joker had made a big circle and was now stutting right behind the blind at about 20 yards.

Then ensued the most torturous 20-30 minutes ive ever endured. He strutted all the way around the blind and was inching his way toward Marvin and Hannah. Finally, he got to about 15 yards from them, hopped over a log, and started walking in. I guess he finally decided it was time for him to check out that arrogant jake.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
He was about 4 yards behind the decoys putting him  about 8 yards from a tore up redneck hiding in a blind. Ethan was filming, and i asked him if i should shoot right there or wait, he said if he even acts like going left or right kill him, but if he wants to beat up marvin let him. So i waited just a bit, but when he turned to his left and took a step i hit full draw.

Oh yea, about what i was drawing. A few months back the owner of the bow shop i work part time at called me and said he had something id probably want to see. I got there, and started drooling as he had a beautiful old Bear grizzly laying on the table. It was in great shape, and had the handle just like that 59' Kodiak i had shot at the ATA and loved. I figured it had to be close to the same age. I asked him how he got it, and he said a guy came in and needed money. Said it had been his grandpas and he didnt have any use for it. $60 later, he walked out the door.

I asked Kevin if he wanted his money back, he laughed and said take it, thanks for going to the ATA for me!

I was jacked! I took it home, and ordered a string that night from Allen Shafer, i make my own strings now, but this string had to be perfect because that was a sweet bow, and Allen is just the man for the job.

The string got here a few days later, and after some tuning it was shooting great!I did some research and talked to a Bear expert and he quickly IDed the bow as a 62' Grizzly, and one that was in very good shape. It is 50#@28 so its a little heavier than i normally shoot but i could still shoot it pretty good. Anybody that knows me knows that i am a die-hard Omega Longbow man, but i figured i would try sometime to take something with that old bow, just to say i had killed something with a 54 year old stick. After i filled my first tag, i figured i would try to tag out with that Grizz.

Back to the hunt.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
:wavey:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Knowing the bow had white glass, and i was in a black blind, i knew i had to be careful. I leanded back to my left to draw, as the bird was behind the side of the bind at that angle. After i hit my anchor, i slowly leaned back out until the bird became visable again in the window.

He had no clue and was just strutting at 8 yards. I burned a hole in the feather i wanted to hit, and let the string slip.

The arrow blew through the bird right where i was looking.

He never could get his feet or wings under him. he flapped for about 5 yards yards and was stil in just a few seconds, One of the cleanest kills i have ever seen.

We high fived and beat on each other a bit, then went to retrieve the prize.

The string tracker was still in him, but luckily i wouldnt need it on this bird.

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
Here is Ethan's snapchat to our friends as i was taking pics haha. If i had to hunt alone i would quit hunting. It is so much fun to share the experience with with friends and family and sometimes friends that are more like family.

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
So thanks for joining along! I hope you enjoyed the read, because i sure enjoyed the process of creating something to read about. I am all out of NC tags, maybe i can get time to get up to OH and give those Buckeye birds a run.

2016 was a great spring! Good luck to all of you guys as you keep after them. Both hunts were filmed and you should be seeing them soon!

Dalton

:campfire:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline CDK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Awesome spring you have had...glad you got one with the old Bear!!
Giddy Up !

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
Awesome hunt and awesome story   :clapper:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
Congrats and thanks for taking us along.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
Come on up!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
Nice work!

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the photos!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©