3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow and Backpack question  (Read 828 times)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow and Backpack question
« on: April 13, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Having moved back to the Northwest I want to get up in the hills and do some backpacking with my bow.  Looking into DIY Elk and whatever this country offers!   Question is this...I would like to use trekking poles and NOT use my bow as one of them.  I have only a one piece bow and don't really want to buy a 2 or 3 piece at this time.  I see all the compound guys strapping their short bows to their packs with compression straps but wonder how to handle this with a longer bow?  

Any ideas or experience with this would be helpful.  

Thanks!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow and Backpack question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Most trad bows are to long. It be real hard to get through brush or trees and climb anything. Trekpole in one hand bow in the other. Or save up for those takedowns.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Well I got no choice, once the sidewalk ends I need a walking staff to avoid disaster!  Given that I can manage with One staff, it causes me to think that you could do with one trekking Pole.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:45:00 AM »
Yeah, I use one stick in one hand, bow in the other when my pack is full, once I set up camp and I go to day pack mode,i put the stick away. Always have both sticks with me though. If you have a short enough bow, you could strap it however works, but it's gonna catch on stuff.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
You could have your bow made into a two piece with a fiberglass sleeve. You can also use a "bow sling" which is a a nylon strap with stringer type cups that carries the bow a cross your back. Though with a heavy back I am not sure how practical the latter would be.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
Here in NY I don't backpack with my bow. But when backpacking in the Catskills I use a hiking staff vs treking poles. There is a lot more climbing and water crossing involved and I find one pole more advantageous to moving through tough terrain. I've used the staff on a few days hunts, bow in left had, staff in right. I'm a righty. And I really like it. I have an old Treks solid one piece. I don't think they are even made anymore.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Traditional bows are lighter than compounds, I shoot a pretty heavy recurve and didn't have any trouble just carrying it along. I did see a nice strap/sling system from the makers of tuffhead.
When I went last year we hiked about 15 miles in and we're putting an average of 10 miles in each day

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
At my age, I need both trek poles, so I would be saving for a takedown.  It would not be an option to do anything else.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
...meaning heavy as in overall mass weight not heavy draw weight.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
The number of times I've fallen on my pack has always made me a little leery of strapping my bow to it.  More graceful folk might not have the same concern!

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
I don't know much about it but I think Big Jim converts one piece longbows into a take down....I am sure it would be a lot cheaper than saving up for a new one. Could also keep eye out on the classifieds for one.

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
I have been looking for the same thing.. I love using my poles in steep brushy country, especially when packing out heavy loads.. I love my new tenzing 1250. The bucket is adjustable and can be lowered/raised to fit a recurve/longbow. I got it on amazon $20-50 cheaper. If you know a place that has them on hand, go give them a look.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
I'm with the pole in one hand and bow in the other.  I do this hunting in Alaska and only take the second pole when packing meat and now bow.

It's not perfect but it works well.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
I use just one pole with no issues, I have an old ski pole that I use but I also have a pair of the high tech collapsible ones. Try both ways and see what works for you. A lot cheaper than a new bow.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Thank you for all the replies.  I guess I'll carry the bow and look to get another 2 piece in the future.  I have backpacked with just the bow before in much flatter country.  No sticks and put a tip protector on the bow.  I was just wanting to use two poles so I wouldn't damage the bow ... Just in case!   I too have ended up on my butt a couple times while packing (Cootling) and would have definitely damaged anything strapped to the back of the pack.  I even fell one time while off trail trying to go under some downed trees that I should have taken the pack off to attempt but was too lazy.  While down one of the larger branches wedged on top of my pack and held me down on the ground.  If anyone would have been around they would have enjoyed quite a show watching me try to get back up!!

Thanks again.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Here in NY I don't backpack with my bow. But when backpacking in the Catskills I use a hiking staff vs treking poles. There is a lot more climbing and water crossing involved and I find one pole more advantageous to moving through tough terrain. I've used the staff on a few days hunts, bow in left had, staff in right. I'm a righty. And I really like it. I have an old Treks solid one piece. I don't think they are even made anymore.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
If you want to use 2 poles without strapping the bow on to your body, I would tinker around and see if I could figure out a way to strap the bow to one of the poles. Left unstrung, it shouldn't be too hard. Might be a bit of a learning curve with the extra weight, and it would stick up WAY higher than the pole (obviously), but I think it would work. Just a thought, bud...

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  Have to see how that would work Tony.  I'll look into it.  Might take a little finagling.
   Lincoln

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »
Here is my thought on it, if you are on your feet walking through elk and deer country to get to your elk spot you should have your strung bow in your hand because who knows what is around the corner. I also think you have a lot more control with your wrist to maneuver your bow to protect it too if your are going down.
my bow is usually in my Left hand unless i am sidehilling some steeper stuff and then i keep my bow in the downhill hand so i can catch myself with the uphill side.
If you are getting to your spot with livestock, bike or atv it probably makes sense to have it unstrung and strapped in.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by pinky:
Here is my thought on it, if you are on your feet walking through elk and deer country to get to your elk spot you should have your strung bow in your hand because who knows what is around the corner. I also think you have a lot more control with your wrist to maneuver your bow to protect it too if your are going down.
my bow is usually in my Left hand unless i am sidehilling some steeper stuff and then i keep my bow in the downhill hand so i can catch myself with the uphill side.
If you are getting to your spot with livestock, bike or atv it probably makes sense to have it unstrung and strapped in.
EXACTLY this! Right down to the bow being in the downhill hand when side hilling!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©