3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone Ever Use Human Hair For String Silencer?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone Ever Use Human Hair For String Silencer?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
If it works I won't knock it, but I gotta admit I'm still laughing at the Hannibal comment!!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
When I had a beard, once some hair got pinched in the nock/string, and on release it was yanked out.  I'm not sure if the string was silenced much, I know I personally was a lot noisier.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
When I had a beard, once some hair got pinched in the nock/string, and on release it was yanked out.  I'm not sure if the string was silenced much, I know I personally was a lot noisier.
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:     :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
Don't you hate when that happens?!

Especially when there's a chunk of whisker with meat on it stuck in your brass nock! I swear I think I even saw a wisp of smoke coming off it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
I read this and decided that my hair is the wrong color, then I saw a cute freckle faced redhead with a pony tail walking by with a little brown fluffy dog.  Ah, that will work.  She was sweet and friendly and so was her little dog.   I could not bring myself to ask for a generous lock of her hair.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
2Fletch,
Please don't take offense, some of us are just joshing with you.  Lot's of ways to skin a cat....in this case let's shave it first (sorry, I can't help myself.)

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Too much! Lol!!!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
I'm right there with you, Mike!!!  I have lost beard hair quite a few times to a bowstring.  My "short" beard.

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
I think the guys are just having some fun and getting some mileage out of the idea of human hair silencers.

I have used a lot of nontraditional materials to silence bowstrings through experimentation and a lot of things will work well.Thick polar fleece works very well

I don't think using human hair is a far fetched idea at all.Heck we use beaverfur,muskox hair, otter fur etc.Even wool puffs are sheeps hair.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
We used to collect hair from the beauty salons when we were in high school and we spread it around tree stands of a couple of older guys who picked on us it works great for running deer off
Now that's funny right there!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
...so many ways this could go if this wasn't a family friendly environment lol

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 02:32:00 AM »
Some of us are so far out of the box we are lost. I'm going to try it on one of my self bows.   :thumbsup:   Cool idea.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Tie just about any material on a string, and it will help silence it.  Lots better and better looking options than human hair, I think.  But whatever floats your boat.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
There are plenty of other materials, but my point is what is wrong with human hair. Beautiful red, blond, brown, or black hair could look good on a target bow. I have already determined that it is effective. You also have the option of using different length hair for variation.

I have read somewhere about archers using human hair for bow string, but I'll probably not go there.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
It puts the lotion on its skin.........
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
I had tried a number of furs, rubber bands, feathers, etc. as bowstring silencers, when it occurred to me that human hair might work well. I had ask my barber if she would save some for me. She either forgot or thought that I was crazy, but when I went for a haircut a couple of weeks ago I noticed a young lady with nice hair getting her hair cut at the same time I was. The color was nice blondish and was being cut off at about 4-5". I got permission from the shop and the lady who owned the hair, and told them what I was going to do with it.

After putting two groups on the top and bottom of the string it was ready for the test. I had put it on an old Shakespeare Custer bow that had a bare string and was fairly noisy. The hair really did a nice job of quietening the bow. Now I am on a quest for different hair colors. My next goal is red hair, or maybe red, white and black together. That would look good on my widow.

:biglaugh:      :archer2:  
NO, not if you are going to hunt with it. Human hair is the part of us that alarms deer the most. Many have acquired human hair to hang in open containers around Apple orchards and gardens to keep deer away.

I use store bought yarn or uncleaned wool from sheep.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Magenta! with cocobolo O yea!

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with the idea of human hair lots of other fur and hair have been mentioned that were not predators however the human is a predator there for it smells evil to the  herbavor omnivores and carnivores and other Predators we hunt

I'm  not knocking it just stating facts we even used to go as far as to collecting girls hairs from brushes in class to spread around tree stands not just salons because it works so well we would string it along fence lines where deer crossed near those guys stands to change the route of deer patterns that's how well it worked just stating the facts not meaning any harm just something to think about
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
Terry, I agree that human hair is a great deterrent to deer. The human scent along with the chemicals that we use on our hair is enough to scare the heck out of a deer. However, it is very interesting on a target bow, especially in red or blond..., and it works well to silence a bow. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it after washing in something to descent the hair. Lastly, it's available..., most of us either have hair, or know someone with hair.    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
With or without head attached?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©