3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Twist  (Read 492 times)

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
String Twist
« on: April 16, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Is there a certain range of twists per inch that should be in a Flemish string? What is impacted if there are too few or too many twists (noise, strength, etc.)? Any experiences would be helpful!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Twist
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
I have heard, read, etc that you want .75 twists per inch or you're sacrificing performance and noise.  Personally, I have never noticed a difference.  I usually shoot strings that I didn't ship to a customer because of it being too twisted, or not twisted enough.  And I have not ever noticed anything.

Now, it is absoulutely no twist in the string, I'd say you need a new one, but I've had some that bad a twist ever 3" or so and it was fine.  

On the opposite end, if a string is so twisted that it kinks up, i'd get a new one, but i do believe you could shoot it and be fine.  

Sorry for not standing on either side of the fence, I've just never noticed much difference.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
Idk the answer to your question, but I do know that it is harder to keep yarn puff silencers to stay put in your string if there are fewer twists.

Bisch

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I've got a Flemish string that I made and it has about 1 twist per inch, maybe a touch more. It just looks to be twisted a lot to me. I was debating redoing one of the loops to shorten it a touch, but I suppose the old advice of if it ain't broke don't fix it might apply. Thanks again for the insight.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure all of mine are twisted more than 1 twist/inch. You should be fine.

Bisch

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 12:10:00 AM »
I would say that too few twists could cause your loop ends to come apart. I make mine with 1 - 1 1/2 twist per inch at the appropriate brace height I use for that bow. I also keep a log of all the strings I make and one of the entries is how many initial twists I start with, then add to that if the string stretches. That way I can adjust the length the next time I make a string for that bow, of course using the same string material and strand count.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
I like one to two twists per inch.  Much higher than that, and the strings tend to stretch a little when braced and and contract a little when relaxed.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
Agree with Orion. This especially with dacron.

Also, if the string has excessive twist, you have wasted material! Loss performance.

As a string builder, wasted material is not productive, either.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
No set rule that I know of, and no formal testing that I've ever heard of.  I don't like a whole lot, but I just go by looks--I don't count the twists.  I know you can get by with a lot and the string shoot fine, I just don't like the look.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I have heard too many twists wasn't good for a string, I have never had any trouble with mine. I like to have about the same amount twists as what is in the Flemish splice that way it all looks the same. I just think it looks better. I make 3 bundle stings, I don't know if that makes a difference.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
I was curious about this earlier this year because I ordered a string (doesn't matter where; it was a fine string) that ended up being a little longer than I ordered, and I was afraid of twisting it up too much.  

In my inquiries, I came across two answers: 1) Preferably not more than 2 twists per inch, or 2) If the string kinks up when relaxed it has too many twists.

I don't know what those answers were based on, but that seemed to be the two most common answers I found.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©